Ugly drawing / painting days?

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Ugly drawing / painting days?

Postby Moonshadowe » Thu Jul 13, 2017 7:12 pm

I just had this nightmare week where every single drawing/ painting I did was a total mess. Like I lost all skill and there wasn't even a happy accident to save me. I did some kinda ok drawings of chimps yesterday then botched them when I added ink. Still considering those successes. Just wondering if anyone goes through phases like this? Is it normal? I'm trying to just roll with it and keep going until this whatever it is phase passes. I hope it's a phase! Usually I just give up drawing at this point but I'm unwilling to do that this time. I'm trying to get up the nerve to post some of the art I didn't bin. :oops:
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Re: Ugly drawing / painting days?

Postby Andre Jute » Thu Jul 13, 2017 11:44 pm

Sit at your drawing table at all the times you normally would be drawing. Don't be tempted to work on half-finished work if your head isn't right. Doodle or do something semi-mechanical like calligraphy. Sooner or later the urge to do creative work will return, and then you'll already have the tool in your hand, and just need to turn to a blank page. It'll likely happen without you even noticing. The hardest thing is to acquire the belief that it will happen, but that too comes almost automatically after it happens to you a few times.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Fri Jul 14, 2017 9:09 pm

My experience has been that these downturns always precede a sudden leap to a higher skill/satisfaction plateau. It won't happen if you don't stay at it. On the other hand, you could take a very short break for an inspiring experience. Or you could just make up your mind to not take a break and try something in reaction to something you like, are bothered by, dreamed about, etc. A different than normal reason to sketch, draw or paint may be enough to take that big leap. I'm very excited for you! These are rare opportunities.
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Jul 15, 2017 11:24 am

Rebecca is right. This happens when you are just about to ....upgrade :D . Keep on drawing and don't think it at all. It will happen by itself.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:45 pm

Thanks all. Some good advice here. Sorry I didn't respond sooner but I was drawing. :D I made it through this downturn. As predicted by you all things improved in a good way. I started working on the first comic strip I've drawn in over 6 years. I just finished the rough pencils last night. I submitted my work at Back From the Depths and it looks like if everything gos according to plan (just have to hurdle inking and coloring) it will be included in 2017 Hallowscream. Hallowscream is a little free comic published once a year that commemorates the 1980s UK horror comic Scream. Pretty excited. So please wish me luck.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Fri Jul 21, 2017 8:56 pm

Comic strips are great. I hope you get in!
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:16 pm

Sainte!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk