Welcome to Sketch Talk

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Re: Welcome to Sketch Talk

Postby Russ » Thu Apr 25, 2013 12:25 am

Welcome to the Forum, Fuschiahedgehog! Yep, art supply hoarder is something many of us can identify with!
Russ
Custodian

Postby sharonb » Thu Aug 15, 2013 11:08 pm

I would like to thank Russ for approving my membership and running this forum. I am sure many people appreciate it - me included!
I have recently returned to regular drawing - I have always done some drawing and designing most of my working life much of it has involved using graphics programs. Recently - feeling dissatisfied I decided to try and reestablish a habit of drawing regularly. Good old fashioned paper and pencil, ink etc I aim to sketch 3-4 times a week and I have joined some of the online drawing challenges to give me a little push. I have also started a blog to share my drawings/arts related interests it is Tones and Tints and URL is http://tonesandtints.com
sharonb
familiar face

Postby RajeshS » Fri Aug 16, 2013 5:26 am

Hi Sharon - You have atleast one proof in me :) I am not a professional like you are - but I too had lost touch with drawing about 15-20 years. I picked up intermittently now and then only to do a few and leave it again for years

This forum is the prime reason I got back to it - and getting back is easy being consistent is not! So I am proof :) I have stuck around for last years years - sketching from life - and my average is about 3-4 per week for sure.

Sharon - well I only know the paper-pencil format :) I get this itch - for over couple of months - to go get an ipad and see what digital art is about - but have kept it at bay so far

And we'd all be happy to see your sketches!

Oh i just realized :) I forgot to welcome you :) So WELCOME to the forum!

ENJOY :)

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 17, 2013 12:13 am

Welcome to the forum, Sharon! No need to thank me for approving your membership; I approve everyone's membership request, but sometimes it take me a while to get to them. :)

The forum helps a lot of us (including me) to stay active in sketching!
Russ
Custodian

Postby PiperJon » Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:46 pm

Greetings from Central Arkansas, y'all!

Just thought I'd take a second to introduce myself, I'm Piperjon. I have had a desire to learn sketching, drawing, watercolor, etc., since I was a kid, but a lifelong belief that you needed talent has kept me from ever taking the pursuit seriously. Not that it stopped me from buying art stuff, trying a few things, and tossing them to a corner in discouragement... Now that I'm well into my late 40s, though, and have actually taken the time to do some research on the idea, I keep seeing that hard work can overcome a perceived lack of innate talent. Well, we'll see...

All through high school and college I did calligraphy, so I'm familiar with ink-to-paper things, and despite really wishing to learn sketching (as an end to itself, no less), I'll probably start with ink and watercolors. I have a fondness for brush pens, and currently have both Pentel Aquash and Kuretake brush pens filled with water and also some with Noodler's bulletproof black. Yeah, I know it's not entirely waterproof, but I can't afford Platinum Carbon yet. I'm in that phase of just messing around with supplies to get the feel for them, then we'll see if I can figure out the brain-eye-hand connection. (That's always been the issue, I think.) I have a set of inexpensive Reeves watercolors in a field kit, but have a set of Koi en route from the nice folks at Amazon. Like I said, the only thing I'm not afraid of is to buy supplies...mostly...

I have found enormously useful and encouraging information on this very website. I've gone through and read many many posts, absorbing things. Much of the technical stuff is over my head, but it doesn't scare me. Much. I've also gotten so much just plain encouragement and good stuff from Russ' website. It really was what started this whole thing with me, at least in going from an abstract "hey wouldn't that be nice" to "currently carrying around art supplies with me."

At some point I'll be trying to work through Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain (again...sigh...) and Keys to Drawing, as well as the youtube vidyas that feature Ms Edwards doing that thing she does so well. For now, though, I'll probably return to lurking and reading and playing with my inks and colors. If I ever come up with something that looks better than a fluorescent cat on a psychotic plate of spaghetti, I may post it. Don't hold y'alls breaths, though, lol.

Peace and joy to all you kind artsy folks, and let me voice my appreciation in advance for the amazing work that has gone into the postings of this website. I hope one day before I'm older and greyer that I'll have something to give back that may help someone.

Pj
Tobacco is my favorite vegetable - Les Claypool
PiperJon
familiar face

Postby Russ » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:23 pm

Welcome to the forum, Piperjon, and thanks for the kind words! Yeah, this is the place to get encouragement for sketching and keep the fire burning hot!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Franco » Sat Jan 02, 2016 5:32 am

Hi!

Well, just wanted to make myself noticed around here, you know... I don't like to be the fly on the wall :lol:

I'm a student, and it's well known we students develop this fabulous habit that is doodling. We can't help it. Recently, I decided that maybe getting my doodles well organized was a good Idea, instead of having them all acattered around in every single notebook I own along with all the notes I take from my classes. Then I bought myself some cheap watercolors and a micron pen, and I'm starting to sketch the places I go.

I could just take a picture with my phone, but there is a trascendence in drawing the place yourself that makes the moment and the memory of it much more special, I've noticed. This is really recent for me, and I just have a couple of them, but I'm really excited about what can be done in a few minutes with only some paper, pens, and touch of color. With every sketch we can see a little bit of the artist hidden in everyone.

It's really encouraging to see your sketches, they are amazing. I look forward to see what else everyone does.

I'll be around...
Franco

Postby Russ » Sat Jan 02, 2016 10:42 pm

Welcome to the forum, Franco!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Lusketch98 » Tue Aug 29, 2017 9:33 am

Hello Russ thank you for welcoming to this forum .Simply was searching for a indepth about the subject of sketching or color graphite to ink to shading anything to do with the manual feel of pencil dexterity. Or going back to a untapped talent that never set off. Made it a journey and inspiration and system to dedicate my talent to well crafted skill. I have realistic and attainable goals. Simply the fundemental of sketching drawing is a cornerstone to open various of the expression and dedication to time to drawing and investing to full time to a paticular field have my sights on. I using this forum for exploring others drawers and experience to mental and talk about drawing how it makes us feel and our lifes to hobby and professional oppinion maybe mentors.
Lusketch98

Postby Russ » Tue Aug 29, 2017 10:12 pm

Welcome to the forum, Lusketch98! I also learn much from this forum and it keeps me motivated to keep sketching!
Russ
Custodian

Previous

Return to Sketch Talk