Something to look forward to

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Re: Something to look forward to

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Apr 08, 2018 11:59 pm

"Amazing scenes!" is exactly right.

On a Mac or iPad or iPhone you can see the righthand side of these images by swiping on the mouse or trackpad to pan the photo.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Mon Apr 09, 2018 3:54 pm

There's a contest each year here. Established artists from across the country are invited to stay with local residents and paint on scene for a week. Freshly finished paintings are framed and hung in the art gallery several times a day. Mid-week, the artists hold a public painting demo. Fans of the contest who travel from great distances, flock to meet their heroes and ask weighty questions: "What are you painting?" "How long did it take you to paint that?" "Is that oil paint?" By the end of the week, the gallery is full, and the smell of fresh paint wafts through the air. Exhausted artists are elated. A reception with wine and delectable hors d'oeuvres starts the proceedings. Visitors are invited to vote for their favorite. My friends and I discuss which paintings each of us would steal. Buyers stake their claims. Red stickers mark sold paintings. For the artists, that could be enough, but then the award ceremony begins. A carefully selected judge from out of town observed the week in evolution. The judge must consider all that is important to their way of thinking for choosing winning works. The judge stands before the packed crowd in the gallery and delivers comments and reasons for the choices. Ribbons are given. Photos are taken of each artist along with their painting, the ribbon and the judge. Finally, the evening winds down. Business cards are exchanged over those final half glasses of wine. People seem very pleased, whether the organizers, the artists, the hosts, the many buyers, or the attendees in general. It's a highlight of the year.

Another photo from my yard...

SaucerSky.jpg
SaucerSky.jpg (475 KiB) Viewed 41 times
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Mon Apr 09, 2018 8:08 pm

mdmattin wrote:...I'm sure you will find a way through the elephant seals, though.
Matthew

Thanks for the vote of confidence!
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Previous

Return to Sketch Talk