HERO #234 CARBON ink BLACK for fountain pen

Discuss all topics related to sketching

HERO #234 CARBON ink BLACK for fountain pen

Postby gpathy » Mon Apr 18, 2011 6:39 pm

I chanced upon this surprisingly inexpensive carbon ink..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0357816443

Russ, others, any experience with this? Platinum carbon is steep in comparison.
Also I notice few other carbons..
Pebeos, Caran d'Ache ... wonder how they stack up.. all advertise for Fountain pen use! (Not sure about Pebeos though).
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Russ » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:47 am

I had never heard of this one. Hero of course is a well known pen company in China. The Platinum Carbon ink is so easy for me to find in Japan (I just walk to a neighborhood shop when I need more) that I am not tempted to mail order the Hero brand. But I'm curious, so I hope somebody does, and reports their findings here.
Russ
Custodian

Postby gpathy » Mon Apr 25, 2011 6:48 pm

Russ wrote:I had never heard of this one. Hero of course is a well known pen company in China. The Platinum Carbon ink is so easy for me to find in Japan (I just walk to a neighborhood shop when I need more) that I am not tempted to mail order the Hero brand. But I'm curious, so I hope somebody does, and reports their findings here.

Couldn't resist this.. Ordered on eBay... will update once I have my hands on it
gpathy
Custodian

Postby gpathy » Tue May 17, 2011 3:10 pm

Russ,

I got the ink bottles in mail few days back. Today I found the time to fill up a locally famous cheap eyedropper fountain pen (Camlin).

I was surprised to see how Dark the color was and also the free flow of the ink. This is a regular fountain pen, and yet the performance was great. It was really wet and dark.

No visible feathering either.

When I took my waterbrush and applied a little wash, the ink did spread a very tiny little. and even after I waited for few minutes, there was still a very tiny bit of a spread.

I guess this is behaving somewhat like the Noodlers ink, where the ink that is in contact with the paper dries out completely but the ones that are on the surface somehow doesn't dry.

However when I left it to dry few hours, the ink became perfectly dry.

But this is certainly a very acceptable deep dark ink! and if one is ready to wait , then it is good for color washes on top of it.

Will do some sketches and post the results when time permits.
gpathy
Custodian

Return to Sketch Talk