OUR sketching kits!!!

Discuss all topics related to sketching

OUR sketching kits!!!

Postby RajeshS » Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:23 am

Hi,

Moshto, Tina, Larry, George (ghdalton): Since we discussed this a little - here then is my kit :)

The book is Handbook Journal 5.5"x3.5"

The pouch is a case of swimming goggles. I carry a small pencil or two, eraser, 2 pens (Lamy and Pilot 78G), a Koi medium waterbrush, a small tin cap of a perfume bottle - works as a ink wash mixing well, tissues and the new Altoids Small tin with 6 water colors.

The color is from Holbein tubes - poured in a plastic medicine-tablets' "bins". I don't know how else to describe this

There might be an odd thing or two you see - there's a small sand paper and a clip too.

rajesh
Attachments
kit-2.jpg
kit-2.jpg (70.46 KiB) Viewed 15695 times
Kit-1.jpg
Kit-1.jpg (98.76 KiB) Viewed 15695 times
Last edited by RajeshS on Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:24 am, edited 2 times in total.
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Re: My sketching kit

Postby Zoe » Fri Jun 15, 2012 12:29 pm

Very inventive and practical, Rajesh.

I am planning a road trip and have 3 bags to sort out. :)

Zoe
Zoe
one of the regulars

Postby LarryMarshall » Fri Jun 15, 2012 8:01 pm

That's a nifty little kit, Rajesh. The goggles case is a good idea. I do wish I could squint enough to get past the differences between real brushes and waterbrushes as that's where my sketch kit expands. Well, the fact that I typically carry 3 sketchbooks and a writing book might explain most of the weight :-)
Cheers --- Larry Marshall
http://www.larrydmarshall.com
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby Elva » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:52 am

I think this is a wonderful example of how little one really needs.

When we are traveling I have three paint brushes tucked in a card and stored under my visor, an old anchovy bottle held to the arm rest with elastic, and a small box of paint in the dash. ... and I have a fanny pack when I want to hike.
Elva
one of the regulars

Postby Miatagrrl » Sat Jun 16, 2012 6:09 am

Thanks for the photos, Rajesh - I always enjoy peeking in other sketchers' art kits. I know you mentioned you like the small Hand Book because it fits in a pocket... does this goggles case fit in a pocket, too? And what do you use as a palette to mix colors? Does the Altoids lid work for that? I like using the Sakura Koi set because the lid is so convenient for mixing, but when those paints are used up, I'll probably devise some kind of mini box like your Altoids and so many other creative setups I've seen on the Internet.

Larry, I know that being bag-free "like a man" is over-rated (and possibly a myth, since many men have the use of their wives' purses!), but I guess it's my Holy Grail. I'm inspired by compact kits like this to keep looking for the perfect solution.

Larry, is it having to carry the water that becomes burdensome, or the long brush itself? I recently got one of these Escoda brushes ( http://www.dickblick.com/products/escod ... ries-1214/), and it's quite compact. So far, I haven't taken it out in the field because the convenience of the waterbrush is too tempting, and I haven't found a satisfactory solution to the water container issue. I like the quality of the Escoda better, of course, but in the interest of simplifying, I might stick with the waterbrush.
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sat Jun 16, 2012 9:11 am

Hi - Thank you Zoe, Larry, Tina, Elva -

Oh yes Tina - the sketch book and this case all go into one pocket of my cargo-shorts.

and yes - the Altoids Tin cover acts as the palette. And I have a small tin cap of a perfume bottle I use as a ink-wash well.

Let me add links to Tina's and Larry's kit - from my other thread

Tina's kit >> http://tina-koyama.blogspot.com/2012/03
Larry's kit >> http://www.larrydmarshall.com/urban-sketchers-kit-bag/

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Walk Like a Man...

Postby mdmattin » Sat Jun 16, 2012 1:49 pm

Although I do carry a "purse" with my laptop and other work-related stuff most places, when it comes to sketching I want to be absolutely sure of having the basic tools at hand no matter what the situation. My solution is an Altoids box with Sculpey clay partitions and plastic eraser in my watch pocket:
altoids.jpg
altoids.jpg (140.37 KiB) Viewed 15656 times

watchpocket.jpg
watchpocket.jpg (243.52 KiB) Viewed 15656 times

Waterbrushes and either fountain pen or disposable pen in right pocket:
brushes.jpg
brushes.jpg (188.02 KiB) Viewed 15656 times

Mechanical pencil in left pocket (because this is also used for "left-brained" work purposes:
pencil.jpg
pencil.jpg (215.24 KiB) Viewed 15656 times

and Handbook and Moleskine watercolor book in left back pocket:
backpocket.jpg
backpocket.jpg (204.46 KiB) Viewed 15656 times

So, basically, if I have pants on, I'm ready to sketch on a moment's notice. I do have another rig with more colors and better brushes that fits in a small bag, but this minimal setup actually works for most situations.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sat Jun 16, 2012 5:31 pm

Wow that was a visual tour Matthew :)

Matthew - doesn't the pad kept in the back pocket come under stress when sitting or just bending movements?

The reason I ask is - I usually change to shorts as soon as I get home from work and my kit get into my cargo short pockets - but it is difficult to keep the pad in a regular pant pocket and I never tried placing it in the back pocket for fear of stressing the spine.

Very interesting to know how all of you carry your kits.

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sun Jun 17, 2012 3:22 am

The books get a little bit bent but not so it's problem; perhaps because there are two so they reinforce each other. They do wear a hole in the corner of the pocket after a while, so I'm on the lookout for an alternative that doesn't require carrying any extra baggage. The DIY sketchbook thread suggested the idea of making something less bulky that would fit in a pocket or perhaps hook onto a belt.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sun Jun 17, 2012 7:09 am

mdmattin wrote:suggested the idea of making something less bulky that would fit in a pocket
Yes I was thinking on the same lines.

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby LarryMarshall » Sun Jun 17, 2012 12:51 pm

Miatagrrl wrote:Larry, is it having to carry the water that becomes burdensome, or the long brush itself? I recently got one of these Escoda brushes ( http://www.dickblick.com/products/escod ... ries-1214/), and it's quite compact.

Those Escoda 1214s sure look nice and I'll probably buy a couple eventually. But it's the water that is the bigger problem, though it's becoming smaller :-) I still lose control of the water with waterbrushes and so I do most of my work with real brushes. My kit involved a squat Nalgene bottle with a large lid, a spray bottle of water, brushes...yada, yada, yada :-)

The last couple times, though, the Nalgene bottle has been left at home and I've got a system where the spray bottle nests in a small container I stick to my palette with blu-tac. This worked really well and lightened the load considerably.

Oh...and if you're wondering about the spray bottle, I use it mostly to wet the paints before starting. It makes it much easier to mix washes and there's less wear and tear on the brushes as the paints are wet.

So far, I haven't taken it out in the field because the convenience of the waterbrush is too tempting, and I haven't found a satisfactory solution to the water container issue.

This idea comes from Cathy Johnson. I've seen a lot of people using it, though my experience with it is limited.
http://www.larrydmarshall.com/make-cath ... ay-bottle/
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Mon Jun 18, 2012 5:37 pm

Great post! always interesting to see the sketchers rig!

Matthew, for someone who is so readily 'armed' with all the tools, and always ready to go, you are not doing justice by posting all your pictures!!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby LarryMarshall » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:27 am

Matthew, I can't imagine walking around with all that stuff in my pockets :-) When I decided to get a bag to carry my stuff I decided that it had to be small enough that I would carry it everywhere. Once that decision was made, the wallet and keys came out of my pockets and went into the bag. Now, not only do I have my sketching stuff with me, I don't have to sit on that lump (wallet) I've sat on all my life. My butt is pleased.
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby Miatagrrl » Tue Jun 19, 2012 4:26 am

All this talk of compact sketching kits, inspiring photos (here and in other forums) and attending a store demo on using Daniel Smith watercolor sticks (http://www.danielsmith.com/Item--i-G-284-670) all came together in my head and prompted me to make a prototype of a portable watercolor box:

TJ mint tin palette.jpg
TJ mint tin palette.jpg (45.01 KiB) Viewed 15571 times

This is a Trader Joe's Green Tea Mint tin (2.25" square). I cut off stubs of the watercolor sticks, wet the ends generously, and smushed them down firmly into the box bottom. I carried the tin in my purse all day to see if they would detach from the jostling, but they are still firmly intact. And they are really easy to use this way. I only have 6 sticks (so far! :shock: ). But I bet I could easily arrange them more neatly than in the photo and get as many as 16 colors in the box. Much smaller and lighter than my Sakura Koi box (and more fun, with the clear lid on the tin!).

The main reason I'm trying the sticks in a palette rather than traditional tube watercolors is that I haven't yet collected many colors of either tubes or stick (I've mainly been using my Koi box), so this is just an experiment. I'm always up for new ideas!
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Tue Jun 19, 2012 5:23 am

This is very cool Tina!

Renamed the thread to "OUR sketching kits"!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Next

Return to Sketch Talk