OUR sketching kits!!!

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Re: OUR sketching kits!!!

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:28 am

Happy New Year to you too, Marialena, and to all sketchers everywhere.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 2:58 am

Irrelevant. ( time for a little bit of new years day moaning- I'm telling it to you Andre because you read it and you commented on the related thread).
What is going wrong with some people? Countless have visited my website to read about my chalk resist experiment and they have discussed about this on wetcanvas and elsewhere, because as it is obvious many artists are disgusted with the stinky, quickly drying in the bottle masking fluids that need replacement every few weeks.
Some of them have come back in the same discussion to tell me that they tried to make the chalk resist with whatever unrelated with the recipe I posted materials and that it didn't work. Most of them tried to make it with calcium carbonate food supplements ( go figure now!! )
Of course it doesn't work if they don't make it the way I told them.. with school chalk and vodka. What did they expected to happen by the time that they didn't follow the recipe. :roll:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Jan 01, 2018 5:25 am

Sorry, but I burst out laughing. Color me cynical, which is just another word for experienced and disillusioned, but I'm not surprised at all that a shower of amateurs cannot follow a simple chalk and vodka recipe, and that they blame you for their failure.

The net is full of people who travel in a strange country without a map, and then blame everyone else when they are lost. I'll give you an example: One of my books, Writing a Thriller, has from the beginning been a key work for professional writers, called "a private godsend" in a Times op-ed by a leading writer, in print for umpteen editions over a whole generation, anthologized in writers' yearbooks and manuals around the world, translated into all the important languages, highly praised by writers who say they sold nothing until they read my book, then they found a publisher, and is generally credited with changing the direction of an entire genre from plot-centric to character-driven. These are professionals falling ravenously on a book that tells them what to do to become a professional, how a professional behaves (do as I tell you, not as I do! -- heh-heh!), etc. On the other hand, we have huge number of would-be writers* who feel that they are entitled to be published, and earlier in this century Amazon enabled them to publish their own books costlessly; they're called indies, and a huge pile of what they publish is a compost heap in which nothing will ever grow: no talent, no originally, zero command of the tools of the trade, wrong attitudes. In 2010/11 for an experiment I joined one of the largest conferences of indies. First I was abused as an undeserving beneficiary of the traditional publishing system. Apparently the fact that my books sold while they couldn't give theirs away free made no difference, it just made my "crime" bigger; oh dear. So now we have, for several years, on this conference these wannabes and several noted professionals besides me who're also taking a look at Amazon's indie mechanism (at the time it was possible to earn more from Amazon per unit sale than from traditional publishers); the professionals took advantage of this tenuous connection with me privately to ask me questions arising from my book, all aimed at improving their books, and publicly to thank me for the service to the profession of writing it. From the indies I received not a single question about how to improve their work; what they wanted was "tips and tricks" to make publishers pay attention to them. There's nothing you can do for such people; you're there, you're known to have a map (professional application and behavior), you're known to be amenable to sharing it, they don't have a map, but they don't ask if they can share yours, instead they abuse you for being in a "position of unearned privilege", which is pointless and unproductive, and just leads to me putting them down, which ruins their confidence, if they have any, for good (already a sign that they aren't suitable for a life as artists, because an artist must survive many rejections). It's like someone tells you she feels she's a watercolorist when you can see she doesn't know how to use the paint, but she doesn't ask about proportion of pigment to water, or how to glaze colors, she wants instead to know how to frame this nothing that is all she's producing so she can sell it for a Picasso price.

*Not all of them even want to write: many of them merely want to "live the author lifestyle" (those are the actual words one used to me); they apparently believe I go to conferences and sleep with strange women in such time as I have left over from lunching with my publishers and dining with the intellectual and pop elite; when I say I work 14 hours a day and otherwise live a dull bourgeois life -- and am happy to do so -- they don't believe me.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Tue Jan 02, 2018 12:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:34 pm

Thanks Andre.. that was a by far better moaning than mine! :lol: But yes you are right. :D
Well... I have never met personally someone claiming to be a writer and behaving the way you described. But I don't have any dealings with the local writers either way.

The only writer that I have met in person and had some interaction with and he was indeed a writer, was Carlos Fuentes, back in 2000-01- but I wouldn't say that I liked his attitude and I'm not sure if this was indeed a writer's attitude or the "I_like_the_chick" attitude. So I behaved to him with this distancing politeness that was in my opinion appropriate for the occasion and the intentions of this gentleman... :wink:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Sean Kupisz » Sun Jan 21, 2018 11:53 pm

Hello All! I am new to this forum, and exited to be here. Here's my usual go to sketch kit:
sketchstut.JPG
sketchstut.JPG (106.61 KiB) Viewed 79 times

Here is the interior:
kitintblg.JPG
kitintblg.JPG (82.9 KiB) Viewed 79 times

Than you so much!
Sean
Sean Kupisz
one of the regulars

Previous

Return to Sketch Talk