Artistic insecurities ( ??? )

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Re: Artistic insecurities ( ??? )

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Nov 14, 2014 10:20 pm

mjs wrote:
Alitogata wrote:Wouldn't it be tragic if your work didn't reflect you? Would it really then be "your" work?

That's true for a fine artist. Pretty obvious, really. But, if you think of graphic designers as artists too, and I do, that is one whole obvious class which at the top the profession deliberately eschews expressing any individuality in favour of expressing the product's message. Beatrice Webb said graphic design should be like a crystal goblet that presents the wine to its full and best effect but adds or detracts nothing. When you hear a graphic designer bragging about "being on the cutting edge", he/she/it is telling you that he/she/it is an idiot posturing at the expense of the client, the worst kind of fool.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Jeroen » Sat May 23, 2015 9:37 pm

Alitogata wrote:Have you ever thought, that your sketches are not that good? ( comparing them with other peoples' sketches)
Have you ever felt that other people sketch better than you do, that you are not that skilled enough, that you make very little progress on drawing and sketching, that you haven't find your personal artistic style yet, etc etc etc.. ???

Because these are some of the thoughts I do sometimes, and I feel disappointed and get angry with myself for not trying enough.. Have you ever feel this way and how do you deal with the feel of being inadequate? ( if you ever felt this way of course).
:(

There is always someone better. Always. There is no point in comparing yourself to better artist and disliking your own work, because it will only depress you. Better set realistic goals and accept that improvement is a slow process. Slow, but also a lot of fun. Never forget you're sketching for the fun of it. Even if you sketch to put bread on your table :)
Jeroen
one of the regulars

Postby gertjan » Sun Jun 05, 2016 12:46 am

Aha , what a nice subject.

I felt/thought and sometimes still feel/think the artistic insecurities.
I think most people who draw or paint or sketch are very sensitive people.
This sensivity easily leads to artistic insecurtities.
For me i have boiled it down to this:

Sometimes , people ask: "can you draw ? "
I always say out loud : "Yes !"
Sometimes they say: "these drawings are not good."
That is possible.
They might be even right.
But I do not say that I can draw good or beautiful.
And , in fact ,that is not important .
I draw. So I am.
That's enough for me.
Most of the time though.

That one draws is of greater importance,
than what or how one draws.

Greetz Gertjan
gertjan
familiar face

Postby mjs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:18 pm

I try to take the long view. I spent the first 55-odd years of my life being extremely technical, absorbed by physics, math, astronomy and information theory. I've worked in Information Technology for almost 40 of those years (although with no college degree -- no money, alas!) I'm a relative newcomer to this sort of art so, of course my work is rubbish! I save face by not showing it to anyone.

When I feel badly about it I go out and do it some more. Practice makes anything better. Eventually, if I live long enough, I'll make something I won't feel terminally embarrassed to show someone else, and who knows where it will go from there. The secret is to never quit.

It does rather make me wonder who you are comparing yourself to, though. I think your skills are excellent and I envy them. Your paintings have a life, a vibrancy, an excitement that I believe many would appreciate. While we all have insecurities, sometimes they are simply misplaced. My remedy is to make a cup of tea and sit down with my little dog. She always makes me feel better!

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Fri Oct 28, 2016 6:42 pm

mjs wrote:..absorbed by physics, math, astronomy and information theory. I've worked in Information Technology for almost 40 of those years... I'm a relative newcomer to this sort of art so, of course my work is rubbish! I save face by not showing it to anyone.
Mike

Mike: You are on of a kind - someone who is a mathematician - a physicist - and someone who likes to draw!

Please forgive me since I have been very infrequent to the forum recently - but have you posted your art here? If you haven't - we are missing a view of art from someone like you. Do post.

None of us is going to send you a bill for viewing!! If it is really not up to your own standard - then am sure the many eager folk here - will help you improve!

I personally am also keen to know what you worked in - in general! I am no good in maths and physics - but they have been my favorite subjects! And I've been working in IT for the last 25 years - and I love to draw - so see we have so much in common :)

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby gunterkoenigsmann » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:02 pm

I think that doubt is an integral part of every life, especially, but not exclusively in arts. Kafka burnt half of his works feeling that they weren't adequate inclusive all but one existing copies of "The Process" (this one he luckily didn't have access to). Charlie Chaplin did so.

Sometimes the problem is that you know what you want to draw... ...and that there is no way that any drawing can be better than your imagination. Having an excellent imagination of some kind is linked with becoming an artist. On the other hand it also can be a great thing as most of your viewers will have such a thing, as well: You draw a few lines in black ink and if you are lucky most of the people viewing your work will fill the gaps your medium necessarily leaves with wonders that that would be physically impossible to draw.

Sometimes the thing you do omly looks bad as long as you remember what you wanted to draw as the thing you are doing differs from that. But as I suspect was the case with Kafka the result might not actually be worse than that what you wanted to. If you are lucky any casual viewer will see how wonderful your drawing is while you still just see the differences to what you wanted.

Sometimes you try to copy all lines from reality as faithful as you can, but the result still looks distinctly different from what you see. In this case I advise you to photograph your motive and copy the lines exactly using transparent paper and a pen. Sometimes it is the medium that plays these tricks, not you.

When I had similar problems Gudrun Wasserman, an artist I am proud to know looked at my pen with renewed interest and asked me if I can transform the error of my medium into an art, perhaps making it a central feature of further works. In a "How to draw Marvell superheroes" book I once bought they tell you that if your results don't match what you wanted you might just use the wrong pen for the task you want to fulfill. But that you never should throw away a pen as it might be exactly what is needed to do your next job in a Bob-Ross-I-did-this-in-20-seconds style that results in truly impressive drawings.

There might be physical reasons for your works not looking how you want them to that lie in places you would never expect. Try to do panorama photos and you will see that there are literally hundreds of way to transform the sphere around you that your vision reaches into a flat paper surface. And that all of them are wrong in a way: You can bend the horizon to be a horizontal line, even if it is round in some way. But that will in turn bend the horizontal lines of all buildings to something spherical. If you decide to draw the horizon as a straight line and still the straight lines of the buildings as th straight lines you see the result might look great. Even plausible. But as you changed the reality the buildings will start and end in the wrong places in respect to the other objects. Don't think all problems with the size and position of objects not matching are really your fault.

Another physical reason might be that your eyes are made to work with highly dynamical images: There might be objects that are thousands of times darker than others and you still see them just fine. If you draw that on paper the darker objects will be just black, though.
As an answer an artist will automatically try to adjust colors and brightnesses as a HDR photo will do. But this will make the picture inconsistent at every place bright and dark parts meet causing new artistic problems. Also this artificially removes the contrast from all colors or introduces contrast in weird places.

If you colorize what you did you might need to reach shades of color that just cannot be reached using colors you can buy. Sometimes you can even get the right balance between red, green and blue (which technically means the shade of color is correct) but the frequencies the light is distributed into doesn't match the reality. As a result the cells in your eyes that only see black-and-white see your color little bit brighter or darker a color than it is in reality even if the brightness clearly matches, as well. This makes the colors somehow bland compared with the original. Also sometimes the fact that things look live depends on the fact that both eyes see a thing from a slightly different angle and therefore see slightly different colors and see more of each object than a flat drawing can contain. Also you have to be aware that your brain does do much post-processing to the images you see: It automatically removes part of how the color of the ground, the light, the sky and eventual walls affects your object. It corrects angles, shows things you see in odd perspectives in easier-to understand ones.

...and sometimes you just need time. You might be doing things for months without seeing any improvement while your brain is doing a time-consuming rewiring of the algorithms you need for doing the thing you want to do. One day, when you already have moved to different goals that process might be finished and what you ever failed to do will work at the very first attempt.

You never know, but that is part of arts, too.
gunterkoenigsmann

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Dec 17, 2016 12:32 am

gunterkoenigsmann wrote:When I had similar problems Gudrun Wasserman, an artist I am proud to know looked at my pen with renewed interest and asked me if I can transform the error of my medium into an art, perhaps making it a central feature of further works.

Precisely! Superb advice. In the execution of art there are no mistakes, only serendipities hitherto overlooked.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Dec 18, 2016 2:15 pm

All answers are great and quite encouraging.. but today two of my paintings went straight to the bin.. ( in pieces). And more will follow as I'm not satisfied with my work.
I don't like the things I make and are also unappreciated in my country. Why do I bother to paint? Nobody likes the crap I paint not even myself.. :(
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Dec 18, 2016 8:13 pm

Alitogata wrote:All answers are great and quite encouraging.. but today two of my paintings went straight to the bin.. ( in pieces). And more will follow as I'm not satisfied with my work.
I don't like the things I make and are also unappreciated in my country. Why do I bother to paint? Nobody likes the crap I paint not even myself.. :(

Until the next time you sell a painting before it is even dry…
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Dec 19, 2016 5:08 am

But this will not change the fact that I don't like them anymore... :(
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Dec 19, 2016 4:08 pm

Alitogata wrote:But this will not change the fact that I don't like them anymore... :(

True but also a signal that it is time to revitalize your style or upgrade your skills.

I'm using a meticulous effect another artist achieves in oils in my own slash and burn alla prima watercolour style; very interesting new effects.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Tue Dec 20, 2016 1:12 am

That is what I want to do but I don't know how to do it. I have trillion things in my head and I don't know where to start from and what to say, not to mention that as always, my painting style is not always my own painting style. It is mine but it is not mine.. I don't even know how to say this in words. :(
I want to paint beautiful things because I'm surrounded by ugliness. (that's one thing I know for sure).
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Dec 20, 2016 3:07 am

Alitogata wrote:That is what I want to do but I don't know how to do it. I have trillion things in my head and I don't know where to start from and what to say, not to mention that as always, my painting style is not always my own painting style. It is mine but it is not mine.. I don't even know how to say this in words. :(
I want to paint beautiful things because I'm surrounded by ugliness. (that's one thing I know for sure).

Well, actually, a good start is to do nothing for a bit, or do something else, go for walks. The good news is that despite the way you feel now, you do actually know what to do. The bad news is that it may take a while before you can do it. The thing is to give your subconscious time to work. One day, soon, you'll pick up a brush and start work.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mjs » Tue Feb 28, 2017 7:37 pm

It really drives me to distraction when someone looks at my sketchbook while I'm sketching. I know that I'm not <famous artist> and I don't need helpful folks telling me that and making suggestions or critical comments. I wish I could tune them out but my hearing is pretty good despite all those decades of of the rock 'n roll as a youth. :)

What do you good folks do to cope? I hate to just pack up and leave but more often than not, that's what I do.

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 11:47 am

Why do I bother to paint? Nobody likes the crap I paint not even myself.. :(

Alitogata, I feel your pain. I have said this exact thing about myself. I have an anxiety disorder and could just about write a book on artistic block and insecurities. I compare myself to other artists. Everyone is better in some way. More expressive, more creative, etc etc on and on. I have found often that I get frustrated and stop drawing or producing any kind of art. When I do that my skills go down and I have to start back at the basics and work myself up again. I have found the biggest truth is that all of the artists I compare myself to draw prolifically and have for many years without stopping. This past October I vowed to start my journey over again and not give in to that negative voice in my head that loves to tell me how much I suck/ am pointless, until I quit. I always end up suffering for it anyway because my need to draw and be creative is way more powerful than my negativity and I always end up going back and kicking myself for stopping. The two biggest changes I have made this time are aiming for improvement and not perfection. An artist named Graham Smith has a really awesome video about just this subject https://vimeo.com/channels/inkdrawing/157981606. I watch it sometimes several times a week. The number one thing that has helped me the most is meditating every night before I go to sleep. I follow guided meditations you can find on youtube. There are several good ones. I use ones for reducing anxiety, increasing creativity, stopping procrastination, increasing positivity, letting go of the past. It took years for me to try to meditate because meditating always made me feel like an idiot. Now I wish I tried it sooner. Lastly I keep a sketchbook. A couple of them actually (and normally I can't keep a sketchbook because my perfectionism doesn't allow me to make mistakes in them). My goal this year is to fill three. I am in the back third of two of them. They are some of the worst sketchbooks I have ever had. They are also the most experimental sketchbooks I have ever had. I try all kinds of things. I make a ton of mistakes and I learn a lot. If I make an ugly drawing but I learned from it I consider it a successful drawing. Some of my pages are beautiful and some are hideous. So relax and just draw to learn something and do that every day. Draw the subjects you find are hard. Find instruction, find inspiration and keep at it. I bet if I looked in your sketchbook I would find your work beautiful because we can always see the beauty and the expression in other's work and only see the faults in our own. I liken it to hearing a recording of our own voices. No one likes the sound of their own voice for some reason. Don't give up- most important thing of all!
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Talk