Graphite watercolor..

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Graphite watercolor..

Postby Alitogata » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:55 pm

I had a strange idea yesterday. While I was emptying my Staedtler 2mm lead pencil sharpener in the ashtray, I saw this graphite powder and I wonderd what would happened if I used this powder to make a watercolor. So I searched my drawers and I found a tube of watercolor medium that I had throw there, long time ago as useless. This is of a Crawford and Black brand, a friend of mine had gifted me a set of these and the set included a tube of watercolor medium, which I don't know what is made of. ( and I think this brand doesn't make watercolors anymore because I can't find it online).

Anyway.. I added this medium in the graphite powder, I mixed it well and then I put it in a half pan and left it all night to dry.

And today I tried it. Well this thing works! Is like having graphite pencil in liquid form. It is easy to make shades of gray, dark or lighter depending on how much water you use and after it dries is not erasable. I tried to erase it but it just faded slightly. It sticks on paper and doesn't leave marks on hands.

So I suppose that if I sketch something with this, it will be easier to fill larger areas but the highlights will have to be made exactly as with watercolors. I don't know what will happen if I add other colors on it and I don't have a photo to show you my experiment, but anyway.. the report counts the same! :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Re: Graphite watercolor..

Postby RajeshS » Sun Oct 19, 2014 3:05 pm

Wow brilliant! Maybe you should patent it !

Do you have sketches made of it - and pls do post them

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Oct 19, 2014 11:42 pm

Super idea, Alitogata.

Your idea has the virtue that, unlike the water-soluble graphite pencils and monoliths -- about which I have added a couple of notes starting at viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&p=20239#p20239 -- your version is fixed once laid down and dry, whereas the commercially available pencils are forever soluble.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:13 am

I suppose that this happens because of the medium I used, which I don't know what exactly is made of. So when this tube of medium is over I don't think that would be possible to make something similar with same characteristics.
I'll post something here when I'll upload my new sketches. I have several but I have to scan them and these days I don't have time to do so..

Irrelevant. I think that forum's tracker has some kind of problem, because I opened these thread on 2 September and Rajesh replied first here, just yesterday. To tell you the truth I thought that you were not interested about this.

I didn't know about water soluble graphite pencils. In any case you shouldn't pay ten euros about these Derwent solid sticks Andre. What do they think that they selling? Gold or something?

I think is time for companies to get the message and lower their prices. Art materials are not luxury goods are artist' tools. I don't understand why prices for anyone else's tools are low but not for artists. I mean that is totally invalid to be able to buy a set of screwdrivers for 3 euros and four graphite pencils for 10. Is steel cheaper than graphite? :roll:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Oct 20, 2014 4:53 pm

Alitogata wrote:I think is time for companies to get the message and lower their prices. Art materials are not luxury goods are artist' tools. I don't understand why prices for anyone else's tools are low but not for artists. I mean that is totally invalid to be able to buy a set of screwdrivers for 3 euros and four graphite pencils for 10. Is steel cheaper than graphite? :roll:

Couldn't agree more. We know how much items should cost because the same items packaged under a different brand often costs only a third to half as much. Those woodless graphite pencils are a very good example; the majority of them are made by Koh-i-Noor and sell for prices from over double the Koh-i-Noor price down to about 60%. Much the same applies to many other items: all made in the same factory but selling in an inexcusably wide range of prices. I get a bit tired of paying for the grand names, which is why I'm so brutally frank when they make a mess of it, as Derwent for instance has made a mess of its lightfastness.

Of course is the P. T. Barnum factor, always some, perhaps many who don't know any better and are happy to pay for the brand name, regardless of the actual quality.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Oct 20, 2014 8:43 pm

Graphite pencils are... just graphite pencils Andre. The range of quality is some how limited because is something very basic, and in any case you can draw with whatever pencil exists on your drawer for gods' sake. ( and if someone can't draw decently, then no artist's quality pencil can save his day).

What makes me mad is that even brands that don't have any kind of reputation on artists materials, raise their prices to the sky, by adding the word "artist" in their products packages.

Don't mention what happens with papers and their quality which most of the times is questionable. ( e.g my Fabriano block with the makaroni/bran surface - the ultimate fail- vs the humble Canson Modvals :lol: ).
In the end of the day what artists' material companies don't understand, is that someone who is dedicated on sketching and painting needs loads of these stuff and sooner or later will not be able to afford the unreasonable high prices that they demand for very basic products. :evil:

ETA. You shouldn't buy the Derwent set Andre. Even for test reasons, this wasn't a good buy. ( what about to ask your money back.. :P :twisted: :lol: )
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:59 pm

Alitogata wrote:ETA. You shouldn't buy the Derwent set Andre. Even for test reasons, this wasn't a good buy. ( what about to ask your money back.. :P :twisted: :lol: )

Duh. The Derwent Watersoluble Graphitone set I bought was the best of the Derwent sets I bought. I also bought several hundred dollars worth of other Derwent pencil sets. After you remove the pencils that aren't lightfast from almost any Derwent set, you can't build a complete set by buying more Derwent pencils. That makes most Derwent set rubbish. The worst of a bad lot is the Inktense pencils: they fade away without the presence of light, inside a closed sketchbook! Derwent's Inktense pencils aren't magic, they're outright trash.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:39 pm

Andre Jute wrote:[...] I also bought several hundred dollars worth of other Derwent pencil sets. [...]

Eh??!!! :shock: :shock:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:46 am

Alitogata wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:[...] I also bought several hundred dollars worth of other Derwent pencil sets. [...]

Eh??!!! :shock: :shock:

I had absolutely nothing, not even a pencil. How did I make those heavily illustrated books then? On computers. So I knew the Derwent name from seeing the stuff on the desks of my designers, and in the bags of other designers I gave work. So, standing in the store, stocking up to take up sketching, I just piled up a stack of tins of the names I knew, and when I got them home did what I always do with new things, thought on the key consideration, which for art materials is lightfastness, and then made a physical test. Derwent failed and failed and failed and failed. I was, and am, extremely brassed off with Derwent.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:47 am

Ask your money back. There is a warranty for any product, same for art materials. If a product doesn't do what is supposed to do and what the manufacturer claims that it does on its product package, you are entitle to return it and ask your money back.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk