About paint's, color's and brand's quality

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Re: About paint's, color's and brand's quality

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Nov 08, 2014 12:44 pm

Currently I'm using Fabriano, Arches and Saunders hot press cotton paper for pencil sketches, a rather wasteful way to proceed as I bought that paper for working on with pen and wash. I hate all the cartridge paper I have, cheap, thin stuff that won't stand too much handling, bought because it was on sale and now used only for interleaves. I like everything I use to feel right as well as to work right.

The Accademia 200gr paper has a good reputation. The 10m roll is the most economic way to buy this paper, and leaves me the option of making the entire panorama sketch on a single sheet. I'm also considering the flat precut A3 pack of Accademia 200r, which is more convenient to handle. See http://www.jacksonsart.com/search.php?i ... =0&x=0&y=0 and http://www.jacksonsart.com/search.php?i ... =0&x=0&y=0 -- the Fabriano paper you are dissatisfied with is of an entirely different type and manufacturing process. I've always had good experience with Fabriano's Artistico in both cold and hot press.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Nov 08, 2014 1:41 pm

Have you tried the W&N that I use? 220 gr medium surface cartridge paper. For me this is one of the best papers because it can hold everything. Pencil, colored pencils, ink, watercolors, pastels.. everything and you can use both sides of every sheet. It is not hot press, neither cold press, is something in between with very nice surface.

---------
Ooops..Now that I've searched for this paper in the store you gave link here, I see that it has it way more expensive than the store I buy it.

Jacksons sells it for 4.79 euros
http://www.jacksonsart.com/p19514/Winso ... _info.html

Plaisio for 2.50
http://www.plaisio.gr/zwgrafiki-hobby/z ... 789735.htm

We are talking about the same thing.

Of course I'm dissatisfied with the Fabriano block I bought. Is quite different to paint on 100% cotton or wool paper from painting on a surface full of wool or cotton hair on it, that tangle on your painting brushes. :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Nov 08, 2014 2:02 pm

Ok let me tell how I think the whole issue. These companies are supposed to sell quality and with special characteristics products and that is the way they advertise them and this is the reason we pay for these products so much money.

If the story is not to get for what we've paid for, then we could do our paintings and sketches on manilla paper, which is paper for covering floors but it is sold like this and you pay it by kilo and not by sheet of paper. No quality promises and no special characteristics, it is made from crap but we know it and we don't have illusions that is made supposedly from Indian cotton and New Zealand wool or whatever exotic stuff.

So I want what I've assumed that I paid for and if I don't get it, then the best thing Fabriano has to do is to run a hide because from now on, if they ask me about their papers I will give to Fabriano the worst of reviews.
Not to mention that they are rude donkeys because they didn't even bother to reply to my email not even to say an excuse or apologize. (grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr :evil: )
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:38 pm

Duplicate deleted.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Nov 08, 2014 7:46 pm

Alitogata's pusher:
http://www.plaisio.gr/zwgrafiki-hobby/z ... 789735.htm

I'd shop with your guys if they did international business! My Greek is a but rusty, but it does seem as if they post only to Greece.

The paper I like as an alternative to the Fabriano Accademia is a W&N in the same series as you use, 220gr smooth.
I already have an A6 pocket sketchbook in the 150gr medium surface. (I must look it out and start using it again, because it is agreeable.)
Last edited by Andre Jute on Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:18 pm

What pusher.. :lol: I didn't tell you to buy from them. I told you that they sell cheaper than the other store who is supposed to have very competitive prices. As you see is seems that Jacksons sells this block double price than the other. So what cheap.. cheap my &^%&-censorship ( my mom told me not to say bad words) :lol: :lol:

The W&N paper you talk about I haven't use them and I don't know if they are the same thing. Perhaps they have same surface but I don't know what will happen if you use watercolors on them.

I have tried though their Canvas like paper and their watercolor paper in blocks. The first has a very interesting surface but not what I like for use with watercolors, but works nicely with gouache and acrylics. Their watercolor paper block has their Cotman 300 gr paper and this is a very good quality paper, strong, nice color, doesn't need any kind of stretching before use. Evan's portrait is made on their Cotman 300 gr paper sheet.

Ok .. look what will do.. Send me a piece of the Fabriano Artistico paper to send you a piece of the W&N cartridge for testing. After we paint them will send it back again. You'll have then my painting and I'll have yours with a review for each paper of course. :D
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:30 pm

Of course the best would be to come to Ireland for a bike sketching ride and then solve this way, our paper issues ones and for all. But no money to travel now and post-office will not send me to your address even if my self package complies with their postal requirements.. :P :lol: :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Nov 09, 2014 1:40 pm

I'll send you some Artistico the next time I cut paper. I like the idea of a cycling holiday, staying in a French pension with a hundred wineries in a 5km radius. Anything further than that wastes drinking time.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:22 pm

Andre Jute wrote:I'll send you some Artistico the next time I cut paper. I like the idea of a cycling holiday, staying in a French pension with a hundred wineries in a 5km radius. Anything further than that wastes drinking time.

I see.. In other words you are ready for this:

http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... rev=search

though the bike rides are 50km each. But if you participate don't worry. I'll be there for you, to push you uphill and hold you when you'll start making eights and circles drunk on your bike. :P ha ha ha ha...
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Previous

Return to Sketch Talk