Pochade Pack

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Pochade Pack

Postby mdmattin » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:15 pm

Bikes can go places cars can't, but feet can go places bikes can't, so I decided to make a backpack carrier for my pochade box and accessories. It turns out you can't get a simple pack frame at a camping store anymore, at least not where I live. Backpacks are sold as integrated systems and quite expensive. Fortunately, you can get Army surplus A.L.I.C.E. pack frames for cheap. A.L.I.C.E. is a typically mumble-mouthed military acronym for "All-Purpose Lightweight Individual Carrying Equipment" but it can be retro-backronymed to stand for "Artist Lugging Implements of Creative Expression." Come to think of it, it would solve myriad problems if the U.S. government gave out free military surplus gear to artists instead of to local police forces. I could make a pretty nice mobile studio in an MRAP. But I digress...
Here's the frame on my back, fitted with a wooden support on the bottom for the pochade box, held on with a quick-release strap, a toolbag for extra odds and ends, and my BestBrella strapped to the side. The tripod is carried on a shoulder strap like a rifle, befitting the martial theme.

MM side.jpg
MM side.jpg (183.18 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

I had taken an earlier version out for shakedown trip up to Mt Pollux, where, after realizing I had made my stand in a patch of poison ivy, I determined that a basic requirement would be that the whole thing could be set up, taken down, and packed up again without any part ever having to touch the ground, except for the tripod feet. After some experimentation I figured out that the pack can be hung from the tripod with clamps, making it easier to remove and replace the pochade box, and positioning the toolbag conveniently. The weight also helps to stabilize the tripod.

pack on pod.jpg
pack on pod.jpg (245.95 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Here's the whole setup:
setup.jpg
setup.jpg (196.45 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

And closeups of the attached pack frame:

CU front.jpg
CU front.jpg (200.78 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

CU back.jpg
CU back.jpg (236.24 KiB) Viewed 1885 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: Pochade Pack

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:56 pm

You're so clever, Matthew! That such an impressive mobilization of a studio, you should be expecting a call from the Pentagon's War Artist's Office. "Artist Lugging Implements of Creative Expression," indeed!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:20 pm

Clever setup Matthew. I like your hat too. It fits you perfectly.. you look charming in this photo.. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Elva » Wed Sep 17, 2014 11:40 pm

What a great set up, Matthew. You've got some serious equipment there,yet it is portable.
Elva
one of the regulars

Postby Miatagrrl » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:03 am

Very clever and resourceful, Matthew! (Make art, not war!)
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Tue Sep 23, 2014 2:21 am

Thanks everybody -
Alitogata wrote:Clever setup Matthew. I like your hat too. It fits you perfectly.. you look charming in this photo.. :)

my blushes - er brushes.

Yesterday I took A.L.I.C.E. on her first real outing, climbing up to Rattlesnake Knob on the Holyoke Range. I am assured that there are not in fact any rattlesnakes up there, although legend has it that there were back in the 1800's, and that Amherst College students had to go and catch them as part of an initiation rite. Stupidity is not as modern an invention as it sometimes seems. I had made the same climb back in fall 2009, when I had just started posting on Sketch Forum, and did a little painting with my tiny watercolor kit. This is looking in the opposite direction, from the other side of the ridge. There are distant mountains emerging from the mist and lush greens in the forground.
I wasn't sure how the climb would go, five summers with the length of five long winters having passed, and with the heavy pack on my back. I half expected to leave a trail of jettisoned paint tubes behind me as I desperately attempted to shed precious ounces, but it went OK.

Here's the paintbox set up and ready to start painting
rattlesnake knob before.jpg
rattlesnake knob before.jpg (137.13 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

The view was beautiful, with rain clouds just starting to lift in the mellow late afternoon light. I had forgotten bug repellent and had to fend off mosquitoes, but that ended up becoming part of the rhythm of the work - daub, stroke, scrape, SLAP! daub, stroke, scrape, SLAP!

After about 40 minutes, the light had changed a lot and I was ready to start packing up.
rattlesnake knob after.jpg
rattlesnake knob after.jpg (155.73 KiB) Viewed 1770 times

There's another minor pochade mod in evidence here - I covered the pegboard format adapter with brown paper to stop the distracting effect of the peg holes and channels for the hooks, cutting just a little slit for the hook to emerge.

On the way back I took a wrong turn somewhere and ended up walking through someone's back yard, but luckily they didn't set the dogs on me, so all went well.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk