Kuretake No. 13 Refill Ink

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Kuretake No. 13 Refill Ink

Postby sketchdaemon » Fri Oct 24, 2014 2:30 am

Hello everyone,

I am new to the forum.

I have a question about inks that would work well with a Kuretake NO. 13.

I use a Pentel Pocket Brush most of the time for sketching. It does well with almost any type of ink that I refill it with (Speedball Super Black, Higgins Eternal Black etc.)
I've had my Kuretake as long I've had my Pentel. I want to start using it again because I prefer the springiness of the Kuretake better. I use a converter for it and I am having a hard time with what ink to use. The pen would get dry, but not very dry that I can't draw with it anymore, after 5 minutes of use. I can't draw too fast with it or else it will have that dry brush effect. Can anyone help me with what's a good ink to use for my brush pen? I need something that's not too runny, will not start drying out and not too expensive. And also maybe an ink that doesn't dry too fast on the paper so I can smudge it to create some values.

:)
sketchdaemon

Re: Kuretake No. 13 Refill Ink

Postby Alitogata » Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:58 am

Have you tried to add a little water into your ink ( any ink ). Not that much to change the color but a little just to make it dry slower.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Oct 24, 2014 4:03 am

You could try on the website of the founder of this forum, Russ Stuttler, in particular this chapter of his book on keeping a sketchbook: http://www.stutler.cc/other/sketchbook/ ... _c_03.html

Good luck, and don't forget to report here if you find the answer, because I'm in the same position as you. I'd like to know whether any or all of these will work in the Kuretake No 13 with the Platinum converter:

1. Noodler's Bulletproof Black
2. Winsor & Newton Calligraphy (a watersoluble pigmented ink suitable for fountain pens, different from their drawing inks that are only suitable for dip pens)
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:43 am

I use the number 15 but I think they use the same bristles. For water proof ink, Platinum Carbon ink has always worked well in my brush pen, especially after I put an air-tight plastic cap on it that came with the tip replacement. I use cartridges, but the bottled ink with a converter works just as well. It never dries out or gets slow. If you want a cheaper brush pen that is just as good, there's the number 8.
Russ
Custodian

Postby mdmattin » Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:34 pm

In my experience the Noodler's Black is a little too runny and hard to control in my Kuretake 13 with Platinum converter. The Platinum Carbon Black is just right.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby sketchdaemon » Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:02 am

Platinum Carbon Black sounds great and all, but the price is too steep for me. I can afford $20 but still. Thanks so far for all the suggestions. Anyone else?
sketchdaemon

Postby Russ » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:35 am

If you don't need waterproof ink, then the Kuretake cartridges work very well and you can get some gray tones from the lines with water.
Russ
Custodian

Return to Sketch Talk