practice drawing heads and faces The Loomis Method

Discuss all topics related to sketching

practice drawing heads and faces The Loomis Method

Postby redraptor » Sun Nov 16, 2014 11:09 pm

I've been working through the Loomis method for drawing heads from various angles, mostly second hand youtube videos and some deviantart guides. I've been practicing various angles and occasionally drawing from life (in cafe's etc), but I feel like my method gets sloppy over time. Every time I go off on my own, away from the reference material and the guides I falter and forget the rules.

That aside, my main question is what is the best way to practice head and face drawing in a constructive manner? For poses I use the wonderful resources like quickpose or pixelovely for 30sec gestures and 2-5min poses. But there isn't a good equivalent for heads, I don't even know if 30 second 'head gestures' would work.

EDIT: while I've been drawing for years and have spent considerable time on faces and heads, I only have about 1.5 weeks worth and 28 pages of head neck and shoulder drawings
redraptor

Re: practice drawing heads and faces The Loomis Method

Postby Alitogata » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:40 am

Hi and welcome to the sketching forum. :D
Well let me tell you what I personally think about sketching, as I have similar issues.

Knowing the theory about the proportions of a human head and face doesn't ensure that you can sketch faces in real time and while moving. That happens because in order to sketch someone that you see for few minutes, you have to be, ( or practice to be) observant.
Sketching is a completely different task from copy the proportions of a model on paper. ( the way academically is done, by counting and then make them like lines on paper). It has more to do with being able to see immediately the basic characteristics of the head and face and sketch them without thinking that much about what you are doing. And this needs practice on the spot and when action happens. ( wow .. what I've wrote!! :lol: ).

You don't have time after all to analyze the face proportions of someone's face in few minutes. Your eye, ( and mind and hand) must learn how to look immediately which are the most important parts of a face, catch the expression and then literally take a note about all these in the form of simple lines on paper.

Not that theoretical knowledge doesn't help. But it is not the same task so I think that we don't even have to deal with the same method.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Mon Nov 17, 2014 8:21 am

redraptor wrote:...my main question is what is the best way to practice head and face drawing in a constructive manner? For poses I use the wonderful resources like quickpose or pixelovely for 30sec gestures and 2-5min poses. But there isn't a good equivalent for heads, I don't even know if 30 second 'head gestures' would work...

Is your question about where to get head/face resources? Or are you looking for a better constructive method?
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:16 am

Rebecca wrote:Is your question about where to get head/face resources? Or are you looking for a better constructive method?

I ask because I might be able to help if your question is about using a modified constructive method. As for resources, I can suggest ways to use your live models.
30 second head gestures are possible.
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:43 am

Welcome Redraptor :)

Alitogata is very correct.

I wait eagerly for Rebecca's response.

My own 2 cents is: One should be aware of the basic ideas of figure/head drawing - like those suggested by Loomis. And like Alitogata said - in real life there is hardly any time to apply theory - BUT the knowledge helps is what I think

My personal method has been to just draw from life and then correct as you go along

I'll give an example: Long time ago when I was beginning to sketch from life - in one of my first posts I had made a basic error in drawing the head from life of a lady. Matthew give me a tip - on proportion ("the head in front is almost equal the head behind the ear") - now this "theory" is ingrained - so when I am trying to draw from life even when the person has moved - I rely on this to complete the head and make it look more realistic

I did go through Andre Loomis ideas first - then drew - then go back to it and Jack Hammonds now and then

So my personal method looks something like this:

Read a little theory...draw x 20... check theory... draw x 100 .... check theory ..... something like that :)

So the drawing become more and more and theory reading becomes lesser and lesser - I guess as i move along

And this maybe also because I am lazy - I cant seem to make myself go through all theory and anatomy first and then draw - which actually might be the best method

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:12 am

RajeshS wrote:[...]

And this maybe also because I am lazy - I cant seem to make myself go through all theory and anatomy first and then draw - which actually might be the best method
rajesh

I wouldn't say that I totally agree with this Rajesh. That going through all theory is the best method, because I think that theory is endless but can't make someone a more capable sketcher or painter.
Let me give you an example of how I think it.

If drawing is like a reading and writing lesson, then academic drawing is the equivalent of copy a text, while sketching is like taking notes, so write down the most important parts of a text, and not the whole text. But reading only a text doesn't make you able to learn how to write. We learn writing by practicing, not by reading how to write down letters.

Something like this.. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Wed Nov 19, 2014 8:24 am

RajeshS wrote:I wait eagerly for Rebecca's response.

And I eagerly await redraptor's response. ;)
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk