Dark pencil but not soft..

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Dark pencil but not soft..

Postby Alitogata » Mon Nov 17, 2014 6:36 pm

I want to buy a really dark in color graphite pencil but with not that soft lead like 5 of 6B pencils have.
Can you tell me please, ( if you have tried it of course) which company ( if there is one) sells such kind of pencils?

Thank you in advance for any information.. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Re: Dark pencil but not soft..

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Nov 17, 2014 10:40 pm

Alitogata wrote:I want to buy a really dark in color graphite pencil but with not that soft lead like 5 of 6B pencils have.
Can you tell me please, ( if you have tried it of course) which company ( if there is one) sells such kind of pencils?

Thank you in advance for any information.. :)

Dunno about graphite. Try Wolff Carbon.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:03 pm

I have used a "charcoal" pencil a couple of times and felt that it was "scratchy" and "powdery" but not soft

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:51 pm

Two that I use are the Cretacolor Nero #1 extra soft and the Palomino Blackwing. Both have the nice quality of being able to take and hold a sharp point and having a wide value range from very light to jet black.
The Nero I use for life drawing; it also combines well with water and oil based paints.
The Blackwing I use for more fine grained renders like this. I prefer to use it on smooth, bristol-like paper rather than toothy paper - it's almost impossible to erase from soft paper.
A less pricey alternative is the STAEDTLER Mars Lumograph 4b, which draws like a dream.

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Thank you for the suggestions. Rajesh thank you for your suggestion but honestly I can't stand the scratching sound of charcoal on paper :shock: :shock: ( aaaahhhh it's shivering! ), otherwise I would use it..

Andre I can't find Wollf Carbon here and I'm not about to pay 5-6 euros to ship to me a pencil. So I'll try two of Matthew suggestions the Cretacolors, and the Staedlers, which both are available in the market and easy to find.

Thank you very very much.. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Nov 21, 2014 11:46 pm

Okay. Here's a tip about Cretacolor. I have a kit , a tin of six pencils, called "Oil Pencil"
http://apassionforpencils.com/product/d ... pencil-set
from them which is the series in which the Neros are (careful: the Primo tin which looks the same is charcoal and chalk pencils, not oiled). These "oil" pencils are oiled charcoal, chalk and pastels, but smooth not scratchy. Here's a good trick though: Cretacolor also sells a student line of pencils and packages them in academically recommended sets. I have a set a dealer gave me for any opinion; he sold it for 5.95 but he's sold out now after I recommended it. It's almost as good as the Oil Pencil set above, and includes an extra soft charcoal oil and several other useful pencils.
That's them in one of my pencil books; I don't have the box any more. But here they are in the package at the Cretacolor site:
http://apassionforpencils.com/product/d ... rawing-101

Also well regarded if you can get them locally (they're €1.25 loose at a Cork arts supply pusher) is the
Conte Pierre Noir Pencil, available up to 3B at my dealer; it's lead.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk