Did you get any good holiday loot?

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Did you get any good holiday loot?

Postby mjs » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:59 am

My oldest daughter got me a Mini Japanese Calligraphy Set (made in China) and a package of paper of which I have no idea what it is because the packaging is in Japanese and my high school only offered Spanish, French, German and Latin (I took Spanish and German and remember little of either: it's been more than 40 years, after all!) The brush with the kit isn't much and doesn't seem to have a point, per se, but the grinding "stone" is a handy size for cupping in the palm of even a small hand and is rough enough to grind ink in only a minute or two while not so rough as to leave chunks of ink stick in the ink. Makes a quite dark ink but it does lighten as it dries. She also got me a CD from "Imagine Dragons" and, actually, I'm going to lay back and listen to that first, before I play any more with my new ink tools.

I bought myself a little gift earlier, a Pentel Color Brush with black ink. I like it very much -- the brush is much better than the one that came with the calligraphy set (actually, the one with the calligraphy set pretty much stinks. A toothpick would be an improvement.) I did have a lot of fun playing with it as soon as I got it and the ink is determinedly black, dries quickly and seems to be at least reasonably waterproof. Very nice for carrying around, I think: I'm thinking of replacing the cheap fountain pen in my pocket sketch kit with it. It may be too long for the pouch, though.

Did anyone else get anything fun over the holidays?

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Re: Did you get any good holiday loot?

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:51 am

I received enough money to buy all kinds of stuff, but all that I ordered before Christmas was a new cycling jacket. That color won't stay clean of course, especially if one paints in it, but I don't really care about keeping a cycling jacket pristine.

Perhaps I'll buy some more paints. I like the M. Graham starter set of paints I have.
Attachments
Altura-Night-Vision-Evo-Jacket-Cycling-Waterproof-Jackets-Yellow-AW13-AL22EVO9S3-0.jpg
Altura-Night-Vision-Evo-Jacket-Cycling-Waterproof-Jackets-Yellow-AW13-AL22EVO9S3-0.jpg (27.5 KiB) Viewed 3013 times
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Fri Dec 26, 2014 1:08 pm

mjs wrote:My oldest daughter got me a Mini Japanese Calligraphy Set (made in China) and a package of paper of which I have no idea what it is [..]
The brush with the kit isn't much and doesn't seem to have a point, per se, but the grinding "stone" is a handy size for cupping in the palm of even a small hand and is rough enough to grind ink in only a minute or two while not so rough as to leave chunks of ink stick in the ink. Makes a quite dark ink but it does lighten as it dries. [...]

I bought myself a little gift earlier, a Pentel Color Brush with black ink. I like it very much -- the brush is much better than the one that came with the calligraphy set (actually, the one with the calligraphy set pretty much stinks. A toothpick would be an improvement.) I did have a lot of fun playing with it as soon as I got it and the ink is determinedly black, dries quickly and seems to be at least reasonably waterproof. Very nice for carrying around, I think: I'm thinking of replacing the cheap fountain pen in my pocket sketch kit with it. It may be too long for the pouch, though.

Did anyone else get anything fun over the holidays?

Mike

Oh what a useful gift!!! :D Well you daughter gifted you a set for this kind of painting set

but you can use it to paint and sketch everything you want. Check this video and the related on youtube to see how to use it and have in mind that Chinese sumi-e ink is a little bit different than the ready made Chinese ink, because you can choose yourself how thick or diluted you want it to be. In any case this is a great gift.

Pentel Color Brushes and generally Pentel water brushes and products have very good quality. I have a set of three water brushes and I use them in almost any sketch and painting as they are very convenient. You can do great sketches with these color brushes and I think is a good idea to try something different and use these instead of your fountain pen. No need to tell you though that color brushes give a complete different kind of lines to your sketches. But then is good to try new sketching tools.

Andre Jute wrote:I received enough money to buy all kinds of stuff, but all that I ordered before Christmas was a new cycling jacket. That color won't stay clean of course, especially if one paints in it, but I don't really care about keeping a cycling jacket pristine.

Perhaps I'll buy some more paints. I like the M. Graham starter set of paints I have.

Wow.. best of the best jackets and nice color for high visibility.
Don't worry about stain it, it is impossible to happen as these kind of jackets have a waterproof, stain proof layer. If you want to wash it though, do a hand wash and never use very strong detergents as these can damage the waterproof layer of the jacket.
I can say that it was a very good idea buying such a jacket as it makes you safer especially at night. Take care of your visibility on the streets, because most of car drivers will not do it for you.. :wink:

M.Graham oil paints or watercolor paints??

I didn't get any kind of gifts and I didn't buy anything for me. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Fri Dec 26, 2014 7:40 pm

I got this book:
http://www.johnmuirlaws.com/store/drawing-birds-book
I had asked my sister to give it me, and when she saw it she liked it so much she asked me to give to her!
It looks excellent so far. I've always admired people like Rajesh and Elva who can really catch the avian essence in a sketch - I've never gotten the hang of it, so I'm going to study the book during the long winter evenings and hope to be better able to sketch in field come spring.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:31 am

Alitogata wrote:M.Graham oil paints or watercolor paints??

I have a starter kit of M. Graham Oils with which I'm very impressed. I got it from Amazon because they had the cheapest fixed price (including carriage and import duty). Image

The colours are azo yellow, naphtol red, ultramarine blue, phtalo green, and white.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Dec 27, 2014 2:37 pm

Well ...I bought something very useful last night. :)
This brush http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Princeton-Nep ... 1195600035 from Jackson's.
I needed a new mop brush and I decided to buy one with synthetic hair that ( according to reviews that I read all around online) does the same job and sometimes even better than real squirrel hair. I thought that is not nice to have a brush that cost the life of a little animal. (what if this little animal was my cat???That is how I think it, don't tease me... I'm talking seriously now). So I bought this one and I'll try it and if is as good as the reviews say, ( I'll give you my review here) I'll buy more from the same brand. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Dec 28, 2014 1:19 am

Ouch! That's an expensive brush, unless 4" means it is four inches wide, which would make it a huge bargain. It would be interesting to know when you get it how wide the head is.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Dec 28, 2014 6:22 am

They mean size 4 which is not a small brush when we are talking about quill mop brushes. I imagine that they are going to send something similar to a size 14 round brush. As for the description it's probably some kind of mistake.

This is the brush at Jackson's and here at Dick Blick but I bought it from ebay because it was easier. Jackson's online store asked for sign in and then connect the paypal account which I had first to connect it with the debit card. I'm new on paypal and I can't involve with such confusing things. :roll:

I don't think that is that much expensive. Check how much the other quill brushes cost especially those made from real squirrel hair. (hm better don't.. you'll faint :P ) but anyway. I needed desperately such a kind of brush for making backgrounds and cover large areas with color so I'll try this synthetic one to get an idea and then I'll see.

It is a little try and perhaps doing a wrong buy anyway, because I can't find anywhere here to test something similar. So I gave a try and I'm curious to see what they are going to send me.

P.S.. If it is huge as you say, I'm going to give it to my cat to play with. She thinks that brushes are mouses and you have to see what she is doing. I have to hide all brushes from her view otherwise I find them under the bed or the sofa depending which one thinks as the best place to hide her prey. :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mjs » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:48 am

A local store keeps sending me coupons via Email and last Saturday I printed off the latest 40% discount coupon and went shopping. Unfortunately I have no money so I ended up using it on a Windsor & Newton Cotman 111 #2 round pointed watercolor brush. The brush was $3.25 and with the coupon I bought it for $1.95 plus tax, or a little over $2 all together. Silly, I know, but it is a very nice brush. :) Unfortunately I injured my knee again and the pain is enough to be distracting, so no sketching lately. It's difficult enough pushing the clutch to drive the car to work and then concentrating to follow programming logic; I'm all worn out at the end of the day. *Sigh* So ends the holiday season!

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Tue Dec 30, 2014 5:59 am

It is not silly at all to buy a good brush especially if you can get it on sales. Even if you don't use it now, you 'll that you are going to use it later on.
Take care this knee injure because knees can't be fixed easily. Rest and don't even drive if this makes your knee hurt. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mjs » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:51 pm

Alitogata wrote:It is not silly at all to buy a good brush especially if you can get it on sales. Even if you don't use it now, you 'll that you are going to use it later on.
Take care this knee injure because knees can't be fixed easily. Rest and don't even drive if this makes your knee hurt. :)

When I bought it I was thinking of the crummy brush that came with my calligraphy kit but who knows where it will eventually end up. These things can be washed... :D

The knee was originally injured in 1986; this is merely the latest episode. It has gotten quite bad in the past few years, so perhaps I will see about surgery this year, now that I have a job and insurance again. As for not driving, I live in a relatively rural part of a small, mostly rural state. The alternative to "not driving" is, don't go anywhere. I have four days off for the holiday so this knee needs to be better by 1/5. I intend to make time for sketching over this holiday!

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Thu Jan 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Mike, that brush with your calligraphy set may be supposed to be like that. I bought three Chinese brushes as a sort of variant waterbrush and found them so limp and floppy that they're very hard to do anything with in my usual slash and mash style. The videos of them in use looked good. They virtually demand delicacy and slow control. For myself, if I'm forced to sketch with designer-style delicacy and control, I'll do it on a computer... I'm sure that if I did brush calligraphy, I'd probably find those brushes invaluable, but currently they're just sitting in a book of brushes awaiting a use for them to be discovered or invented.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mjs » Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:31 am

Andre Jute wrote:Mike, that brush with your calligraphy set may be supposed to be like that.

The calligraphy brush isn't floppy, it's quite stiff. When new it was very stiff and came to a sharp point but after washing and rolling it in my fingers, it's still at least as stiff as the watercolor brush that came in my Windsor & Newton watercolor set. Even so, the point is much larger than I would like to draw with. I won't throw it out (I'm a pack-rat of mythical proportions,) but I'll use a different brush to draw with, when I get to that stage.

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk