A Newbie with questions.

Discuss all topics related to sketching

A Newbie with questions.

Postby merg68 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 2:31 pm

I've been lurking on this site for a while now and decided to join. I took up sketching about a year ago (although I doodled a lot as a kid). I have improved in some areas and not in others. For Christmas I received some watercolor tubes and am totally lost as I've never painted before. I made an Altoid travel tin using bottle caps for paint wells.

Not to ask too stupid a question but...are the paints supposed to dry or will they remain wet. I know when you buy pre-filled pans they are dry. I'm almost afraid to tilt the tin for fear the colors would run into each other.

Thanks.

And you guys are doing some great work.

merg
merg68

Re: A Newbie with questions.

Postby mdmattin » Wed Jan 07, 2015 7:58 pm

Hi Merg, and welcome to the forum. That is a good question - you generally do want to the paint to be dry, so it doesn't slosh around when you carry the paint box. Some paints take longer to dry than others, and some paints respond to re-wetting better than others. For instance the M.Graham colors, which use honey as a binder, tend to take a long time to dry, and some earth pigments, like raw sienna, IIRC take longer to re-wet.

It's also possible to take the opposite approach, and try to keep the paint wet so it's nice and juicy when you go to paint. There are special palette boxes for that purpose, with covers that contain a moisturizing pad. But, you still have to be careful about tilting it or the colors will run.

When I refill my little altoids tin, I leave it open overnight, which usually dries the colors enough to not run.
Looking forward to seeing your sketches!

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby merg68 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 8:10 pm

Matthew,

Thanks for your response. For some unknown reason I never thought of leaving the tin open!

I'll post some sketches at some point but as I am a beginner, they aren't too exciting. And right now my sketches are all in pencil as I'm still trying to figure the painting out.

merg
merg68

Postby Alitogata » Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi Merg and welcome to the forum. :)
Don't be afraid to post your sketches here as nobody is going to judge you for them. After all this forum is all about helping people become better sketchers.

As for your new watercolor kit: Leave the tin open overnight, or for a couple of hours close to heat ( a radiator, or in a sunny place) and then your watercolors will be ready to use. It would be very interesting to post a photo of this watercolor kit too.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby merg68 » Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:03 pm

Thank you for the response and welcome.

I know this isn't a forum for passing judgement. I have to overcome my own insecurities.
merg68

Postby RajeshS » Tue Jan 27, 2015 7:41 am

Hi Merg - sorry didn't get a chance to reply earlier --- first a warm welcome to the forum!

And second - meet me :) I asked this exact question at the beginning of my journey of sketching and some more - and just like I had lurked at the forum for a good couple of months before daring to get on it!

For an example of an even "stupider feeling" question - that I had asked was - how long do you look at the subject and how long do you look at the paper!!! :oops:

These questions came naturally to me - but the forum helped me answer these and help me grow along!

After some time they stop and you being to discover yourself. I am learning and not yet good at it - but after 3 years I now feel very very confident at standing anywhere anytime and drawing! That I thought was the most important bit

So - all I can say is - let the questions come and the very helpful members here will help answer - and some you will find answers for yourself!

Enjoy - sketching is one of the most wonderful thing that happened to me!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby merg68 » Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:31 pm

Rajesh,

Thank you for the welcome.

I absolutely love your sketches. Seeing your sketches a while back is what kept me coming back to this site!

Since I've started sketching I have found myself looking at the world in a much different way. Now I need to start putting that to more and more use.

merg
merg68

Postby Junkyard Sam » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:21 am

You're talking about watercolor, right? Definitely leave your tin open to dry... In some humid climates and with some brands it's possible to get MOLD on your watercolor palette. This won't happen if you leave it open to dry. And probably less of a worry with expensive brands, etc.

The best advice I learned about watercolor is to not be so worried about "wasting paint." Look on YouTube about how to set up a watercolor palette. They fill the little tubs all the way up and then just rewet them to restore life.

It also helped me to not worry about my palette being clean. I dab the colors into each other, water. The palette gets messy, but that's fine because mixed colors generally look better than straight out of the tube IMHO. (I'm not a great watercolorist, but look at others palettes - they get messy! it's fine.)

Another tip - use a tall jar for your water. The watercolor bits will fall to the bottom leaving the water at the top clean! And if you use line work underneath, use waterproof ink.

If you use pencil, beware that watercoloring over pencil makes it uneraseable (for me anyway.)

And try keeping a waterbottle. I like to give my palette a couple of sprays to restore life, and then using my finger I dribble a few drops of water into each tub.

And finally -- beware the dust from dried watercolor if you use Cadmiums or other toxic paints. Some colors dust up a bit when dry. In America these paints are marked "CL" on the back - these are toxic. Don't inhale or ingest. "AP" means "not known to be toxic."
Junkyard Sam

Return to Sketch Talk