What do you do with your Sketchbooks?

Discuss all topics related to sketching

What do you do with your Sketchbooks?

Postby johunter » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:48 am

Once you are finished with a sketchbook what do you do with them? Do you keep every one? Do you display it? Look through them ever? I'm finishing roughly a sketchbook a month at the moment, and most of my sketches aren't exactly good or interesting to look at. Most of them are downright horrible, which is to be expected at my stage I think! I can imagine in a few years time I'll have quite a collection of these so I'm interested to know what you guys do with yours.
johunter
one of the regulars

Re: What do you do with your Sketchbooks?

Postby mdmattin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:57 pm

I keep everything I possibly can - I have sketchbooks going back to my childhood and youth, which were quite a while a ago. I keep them on a shelf and page through them from time to time. It's very interesting to go back and look at how your past selves were thinking and seeing. Sometimes the germ of an idea from years ago is ready to bear fruit in the present.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:43 pm

I put them in a box and never look at them again unless I'm actually looking for something I remember being in a sketchbook, say a technique I tried out in the sketchbook, or a vignette I made for a painting that didn't happen then but now is a live project again.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby johunter » Sat Mar 28, 2015 8:26 pm

Wow Matthew, it must be amazing to have such an extensive record of your work. I save as much of my childrens' work as I can (particularly sketchbooks) in case they are interested in their progress in the future.

Interesting that you keep them stored away Andre, are they something you wouldn't share with family/friends? I know some people see the sketchbooks as a body of work in themselves, but then others just use them for practice/experiments and not as a finished product. Interesting to hear about the different approaches. I think at the moment I'm still in the practice and experimentation stage, though maybe would like to be able to share them without too much embarrassment one day.
johunter
one of the regulars

Postby cestjeffici » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:23 pm

I'm getting to the point where I also need to decide what to do with filled sketchbooks.

Some are easy. I've been doing figure drawing once of twice a week and those I just throw away when they are full. I may go through them first and save a few pages if they are interesting. Recently I switched to using large 18"x24"newsprint and those go straight into the trash when I get home from a session.

I don't consider anything I do in a sketchbook as a finished work, it is more of a learning experience or an experiment. I am also beginning to do watercolors and acrylics. I think I may end up with two types of sketchbooks. One for ideas for finished work and one just to learn in. The latter will probably get thrown away.
cestjeffici
familiar face

Postby Alitogata » Sat Mar 28, 2015 10:54 pm

I'm thinking to publish them later on.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:14 am

johunter wrote:Interesting that you keep them stored away Andre, are they something you wouldn't share with family/friends?

I've been a professional artist of one kind or another since I was 13. We're decades past the opening-champagne stage when I publish a new book or the Times in wherever says something nice about me. You get blasé after a decade or two. Nowadays I don't even mention to my family that I've published a new book, or finished a sketchbook, or whatever.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby johunter » Sun Mar 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Haha Andre, how the other life live ;) I'd love to get to the point where finishing a sketchbook no longer feels like an accomplishment!
johunter
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Mar 29, 2015 1:39 pm

Andre Jute wrote:I've been a professional artist of one kind or another since I was 13. We're decades past the opening-champagne stage when I publish a new book or the Times in wherever says something nice about me. You get blasé after a decade or two. Nowadays I don't even mention to my family that I've published a new book, or finished a sketchbook, or whatever.

It doesn't matter. You mention it here, ( and on your blog, fb, twitter etc) so they know it anyway... :P :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sun Mar 29, 2015 3:27 pm

Good interesting question :)

I started sketching about 3 yrs ago and was doing about 1 sketchbook every 3 months. Have slowed down a bit recently

What I remember, when I started off is, Russ', picture of his sketchbooks, plenty of them. At that time, I so longed to have my very first filled book :)

I am on my 12th now

Luckily, 3 yrs still has the "new feel" to me and luckily I started with the Handbook Journal and still using the same size and brand. SO....I have a neat line up of 11 books, all stacked in my bookcase

I do flip through them occasionally, for two reasons: since it is just 11 books, I often remember a sketch I did that I want to see -or- to just see how I am doing now relative to 3 years back

But I love to show them off IF someone asks :)

BTW - I use both sides of the sheet and hence there are roughly 200 sketches in a book

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Sun Mar 29, 2015 10:34 pm

I'm jealous that you found your favorite size right away and stuck with it. What a pretty site that must be, to see them all in a row. My piles of sketchbooks in all different sizes and shapes are not a pretty site. I keep them in boxes.
Russ
Custodian

Postby RajeshS » Mon Mar 30, 2015 5:56 am

:)

I am sure, Russ, everyone agrees what is inside that matters. Your sketches teach and give joy to thousands!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat May 23, 2015 3:40 pm

I'm messing with my sketchbooks. Loads of sketchbooks ... :lol:

Here are those that are completely full with sketches.

DSC00917.JPG
DSC00917.JPG (375.12 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

Don't dare to think that these are few because the black small sketchbook has 80 pages and the landscape ones 58-60 pages each..

And there are the sketchbooks that I'm currently working on:

DSC00913.JPG
DSC00913.JPG (363.63 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

My big black A4 that I take with me at the Museums ( and now I'm adding owls and animals in there) and the square on top bound with Saunders Waterford paper that I sketched my blue frog, ( actually these two had to go to the previous category because they missing just few pages to fill with sketches) and the one with the brown kraft paper etc etc etc.. Each in a different hand bag, back bag, purse so I have always with me a sketchbook..

And here are the newly bound ones.When I'm bored, or don't have anything else to do I bind sketchbooks. Yes I know.. I need a doctor to check what's going on with me, because certainly is not normal to bind sketchbooks, but anyway.. we all have issues... :lol: :lol:

DSC00914.JPG
DSC00914.JPG (531.44 KiB) Viewed 2825 times

The grey ones are with Saunders Waterford paper, those who have the rapping paper on the covers are with Canson something paper, and the rest with my favourite paper.. I'm experimenting on different sizes and papers and ways to stitch them.. I have lost it completely and I admit it. Send me the doctor.. I don't care!! :lol:

ETA: Agis the owner of this bicycle store is furious because I take his promotional stickers to decorate the covers of my sketchbooks and don't leave not a single one for his clients. I don't blame him for being furious.. I admit this too. :oops:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat May 23, 2015 10:01 pm

Goodlooking ad for your bike store.

PS, nice sketchbooks too. I too am always plotting a new one, never mind that the previous ones are a long way from full, or that I have many spares anyway.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat May 23, 2015 11:01 pm

It is not my bike store. It is Agis' bike store. :D ( I don't have a bike store.. how did you get this idea :?: )
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Next

Return to Sketch Talk