Does Anyone Have the Falcon SEF?

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Does Anyone Have the Falcon SEF?

Postby Rollo the Cat » Wed Apr 29, 2015 9:43 pm

I am undecided between the Pilot Falcon sf and sef. I have heard that the sef is really scratchy. Does anyone own one or both of these pens and can you tell me what you like or dont like about them?
Rollo the Cat
one of the regulars

Re: Does Anyone Have the Falcon SEF?

Postby Junkyard Sam » Wed Jul 29, 2015 2:42 am

I'm in the same boat as you and I asked the same question to Ulli Geiger, who owns both. She seemed to feel the nibs aren't any "scratchier" than the Pilot F and EF nibs. In fact, she said the Falcon's feed runs a little wetter than the Pilot pens that come with Pilot F & EF nibs... and that would suggest they feel even smoother with the additional wetness.

I use a Pilot EF in my Prera for writing & drawing all the time. I slightly modified the feed to run just a little wetter. It's VERY fine, but feels *great* to write and draw with. My Pilot F nib is just a wee bit wider, but does feel a little smoother than the EF for writing, almost like the nib tip is more rounded? The line quality of the two are both very similar though. Both finer than my Safari EF nib.

I'm going to go with the Falcon SEF, myself. I draw very small, and since the Falcon has a semiflex nib --- I want as much line variation as I can get when I need it... so it's best to start with the finest nib possible to maximize the variation in width IMHO.

But... these are all words from someone who hasn't actually used a Falcon yet so I probably shouldn't even have responded... but I'm as excited about getting a Falcon as you!!!
Junkyard Sam

Postby vanessa » Sun Oct 18, 2015 9:05 am

Maybe another alternative to consider:

Visconti Rembrandt Calligraphy fountain pen set. The fine nib is thin. You get fine, medium fine, and broad nibs in a set plus the ink bottle.
vanessa

Postby Alitogata » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:59 pm

Wow.. fantastic work Sam. I've just checked your web site..Bravo! :!: :!:

You have to tell me though how you manage to draw with the one hand and hold the camera with the other. :lol:
( I watched your videos too :) )
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sat Nov 14, 2015 6:34 pm

Yes! I just got my new Pilot Falcon SEF from Gouletpens.com. To put it through its paces, I did this drawing in a large Moleskine.

seventeenth summer sm.jpg
seventeenth summer sm.jpg (272.42 KiB) Viewed 1244 times

I didn't really know where it was going to go when I started it but somewhere along the way I realized it could be a candidate for the "Six word story" challenge currently up on James Gurney's site. My story: "Seventeenth Summer. Broadening outlook. Escape strategy."
To qualify for the challenge, I had to actually write the story on the artwork, which is not at all my forte, so I'm glad I made a scan before defacing with my clumsy block letters.

As far as the pen goes, I really liked it for this purpose. It gives more pushback than a real flex pen, but this can be good - I was able to use a feather light touch for very fine lines and hatches, or really dig in and get a vigorous, rhythmic feel, almost like working with a palette knife and stiff paint, or anything in between.
I also tried it for doing quick sketches at a concert last night. It wasn't the best for that - it could be a bit stiff and slow to respond compared to my good old Konrad, which I also brought along for comparison. It could be that with a more free flowing ink it would work better, or maybe it's a different tool for a different job.

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk