Sketching with charcoal and Conte crayon

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Sketching with charcoal and Conte crayon

Postby mjs » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:34 pm

I've been experimenting lately sketching outdoors with charcoal and Conte crayon and am enjoying the different textures and blends I can do. Experiments have included classical black, white, and sanguine crayons, colored Conte crayons as well as hard pastels (Prismacolor) for colored sketches. (My oldest daughter traded her Prismacolor pastel set for my yard-sale Prismacolor colored pencils!) I'm using an inexpensive Chinese-made 5 1/2 inch x 8 inch (163mm x 200mm, more or less,) sketchbook from US Art Supply; it contains 90-lb (130 gsm,) natural white paper with an embossed laid pattern and shows an absolutely wonderful texture in the mid and high tones. I admit to being a little self-conscious at this, as these seem to me to be the classical "artistic" sketching materials and as a not very talented beginner I feel a little pretentious when using them. These sketches have a very different look and feel to them than pencil or pen, though.

Has anyone else practiced sketching with charcoal, Conte crayon or hard pastels? I'm interested in your experiences and conclusions.

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk