sketch paddle

Discuss all topics related to sketching

sketch paddle

Postby mdmattin » Mon Aug 10, 2015 2:36 am

I posted a while ago about my yen to get out on the water and sketch, either directly from the boat or from an otherwise inaccessible shore location. After a period of deliberation and research I bought a kayak today and took it out for a quick shakedown cruise on the river!

afloat sm.jpg
afloat sm.jpg (98.27 KiB) Viewed 2193 times

I'm not usually one for selfies but I was so jazzed to be finally doing this I couldn't resist.
The next step is figure out the best way to set it up for art work - whether to just to bring a kit along, or build some sort of table or easel into the craft. It turns out there's a whole world of kayak hackery out there, using specialized proprietary fittings or DIY kluges. I'm visualizing a camera mount attachment to which could be affixed a drawing board, small pochade box, or other support. An umbrella could be attached to the gunwale with a clamp. I purchased an anchor, so I should be able to stake myself out somewhere and sketch from a fixed point.

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: sketch paddle

Postby gpathy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 4:02 am

This is awesome! definitely worth a selfie! Looking forward to your rig and of course the amazing works that will follow!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby RajeshS » Thu Aug 13, 2015 5:36 am

Way to go Matthew - your face has that glow :) Pristine nature and opportunity to sketch!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:11 pm

This is what we can call a reaaally happy face.. :wink: Well done Matthew!!! :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:13 am

Thank you GS, Rajesh and Alitogata! I installed the drawing board attachment today, and it seems like it will work well. I hope to get out on the water tomorrow, but for now I tried it out in the back yard.
It uses a rig made by RailBlaza. It employs a fitting mounted into the deck that accommodates a set of components. It was a bit scary to start drilling holes in my new boat, but it went OK, and I was able to jury-rig the James Gurney inspired portable easel from my earlier bicycle sketching experiments to the camera mount.

This is the traveling position, swung out of the way to allow padding:

sketch-pad-l up sm.jpg
sketch-pad-l up sm.jpg (167.37 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

Here it is in sketching position:

sketch-pad-l down sm.jpg
sketch-pad-l down sm.jpg (178.04 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

And with me giving it a try out:

sketh-pad-l try-out.jpg
sketh-pad-l try-out.jpg (141.04 KiB) Viewed 2015 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:36 am

I'm so envious! The new, unseen, vistas that will open up to you, the startling perspectives...
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Sun Aug 30, 2015 6:48 am

Just delightful...! and as Andre says... 'new, unseen, vistas that will open up to you, the startling perspectives..'
gpathy
Custodian

Postby mpainter » Mon Aug 31, 2015 1:39 am

Very Nice. My plan on getting a kayak this year unfortunately hasn't happened yet. Your little pochade looks just like mine.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:03 am

mpainter wrote: Your little pochade looks just like mine.

That's because it was inspired by yours, along with James Gurney's. I can't find the link now, but I remember seeing yours linked from a comment on gurneyjourney. I originally set it up for casein, but it can be used for anything. Do you still use yours for casein?
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:44 am

That's because it was inspired by yours, along with James Gurney's. I can't find the link now, but I remember seeing yours linked from a comment on gurneyjourney. I originally set it up for casein, but it can be used for anything. Do you still use yours for casein?

Yes I still use mine for casein, gouache and watercolor.
Looks like you have come up with a great way to mount it to the kayak..
I'll be watching your kayak sketching experiments with great interest.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk