Sketches on show

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Sketches on show

Postby mdmattin » Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:04 pm

I'm currently showing some of my work at my work - we are encouraged to contribute to the decoration of the IT Dept walls with our photos or artwork. In this case the space I was allotted presented a challenge in that it is was a window wall divided into 14" wide panes by 2" black frames. The reproductions are all blown up to be 14" wide, so each one fills a column, with a variable vertical dimension. I decided to use black paper to create a unified background, and to base the spacing of the pictures on an imaginary grid of the 2" frames. The end result looks like a slide table view in an image editing application, so it's sort of appropriate to the IT context.
It's interesting see the sketches, which range from 4" x 6" to 8" X 10" blown up to 14" wide. The compositional elements are more in evidence.

art wall sm.jpg
art wall sm.jpg (100.58 KiB) Viewed 1006 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: Sketches on show

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:35 pm

There goes your promotion, Mathew. Everyone will be envious of your talent, so lavishly displayed. Another talent is not quite so obvious: applied graphic sensibility in your acceptance and reinforcement of the grid with the unified width/floating height and black paper unification scheme (when I wrote a book called Grids, I subtitled it The Structure of Graphic Design). Very gratifying indeed.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Mon Oct 05, 2015 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Mon Oct 05, 2015 10:10 am

Thats wonderful Matthew!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby mpainter » Mon Oct 05, 2015 4:25 pm

Superb sampling and display of your work. Excellent.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk