Stillman & Birn Softcover sketchbooks

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Stillman & Birn Softcover sketchbooks

Postby Russ » Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:12 pm

Has anyone gotten one of the new Stillman & Birn Softcover sketchbooks? Are they even on the store shelves yet?
Russ
Custodian

Re: Stillman & Birn Softcover sketchbooks

Postby swayne » Mon Nov 30, 2015 2:55 am

As far as I can tell it's US and Canada only.

http://www.stillmanandbirn.com/wheretofind.html
swayne
familiar face

Postby Russ » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:00 am

I've been nearly two weeks without a computer, and have had to peck out short messages on my Android tablet and refrain from anything ambitious until it came back from the repair place. Anyway that's my convenient excuse for not posting here lately (instead than my usual admission of laziness)

Regarding the sketchbooks, although it will be not until next year until we get them in Japan, I actually got some samples this week!

The paper is the same, great as always, and the soft covers are very nice, sort of a heavy paper with a kind of coating that makes them similar in weight to Moleskine softcovers but with a more non-slip rubbery feel on the outside.

I have both the Zeta and Epsilon. The Zeta is a very dark somber blue, almost black, and not violet (and I'm glad) with a smooth surface. The dark grey Epsilon cover has a leather texture to it. The inside surface on both is black. Round corners and flexible bodies mean they can travel in my back pocket easily.

They actually open perfectly flat, which is something the hardbound sketchbooks don't do as well.

But I discovered that opening the covers until they touch will put such a strain on the end pages that they can actually separate from the covers. So I found a solution:

I opened a new sketchbook slightly at the mid-point, and placed it on a clean surface, pages facing down.

Then I gently open the sketchbook by pressing it downward to flatten it while creasing the entire spine with my thumbnail so that a crease formed along the length of the spine. This will allow the book to lie perfectly (amazingly) flat and stay flat, and not cause any stress to the end sheets.

The "valley" in the spine in the center of the picture below is the crease I put in with my thumbnail.

sb_softcover_spine.jpg
The crease in the spine compliments of my thumbnail
sb_softcover_spine.jpg (125.56 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

Here are the samples I received: Two Epsilon and two Zeta (They obviously know my preferred medium is ink).

sb_4_softcoverb.jpg
I increase the brightness for this photo a tad too much!
sb_4_softcoverb.jpg (250.02 KiB) Viewed 1156 times

I also had to change the ending of my Moleskine article again:

http://www.stutler.cc/sketching/articles/moleskine.html
Russ
Custodian

Postby Andre Jute » Thu Dec 17, 2015 8:57 pm

Nice work, Russ. I'll remember that thumbnail trick.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk