External links in posts

Discuss all topics related to sketching

External links in posts

Postby Russ » Sat Sep 10, 2016 1:05 am

As far as possible, please post your images here on the forum rather than just create a link for people to see your art work somewhere else on the web.

External links are not a good idea for several reasons:

• Link posting could be an attempt to [for any number of reasons] increase traffic to their page or site.
• And sometimes links send people to malware attacks. It can happen.
• Link posting makes readers leave the forum, which can distract them from coming back for the discussion.
• Off site image or video pages often disappear, leaving future forum readers to wonder what the discussion was about.
• It is much easier to discuss art when the art is right there in the thread.

Members are advised to not click external links unless they know and trust the person who posted it.

If you must post an external link, please include some text that explains what the link is for, and what people will see when they click on it.

Of course, links in signatures are okay, especially from members who are regular contributors.
Russ
Custodian

Re: External links in posts

Postby Alitogata » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:44 pm

Would it be possible to block somehow the hotlinking towards pinterest?
I mean not to allow anyone to hotlink the images of this site neither pin them there. They steal everybody's content in this damned pinterest because whatever they pin there is copied to Pinterest's servers. Even if they give link to the site that the image was first uploaded, someone has to login first into Pinterest and then click to go to the other site.
This Pinterest thing messes up with search engines results and works over them. And it steals content and traffic from the web sites. :roll:
I have blocked it on my web site but whatever I post here is available for pinning there. Can you please block this damn thing Russ?
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 03, 2016 10:25 pm

I'm not sure how to block links to specific sites, but I'll look into it, and maybe someone who knows, can offer tips. I closed my own Pinterest account last year, but I can't remember the reason now. :)
Russ
Custodian

Postby Alitogata » Sun Dec 04, 2016 12:22 am

I had to open and account there for all the wrong reasons. In order to send them warnings to remove my paintings from their site. :D I blocked them on my wordpress web site by using an add on.
I think this is done on forums by blocking generally the hot linking of the images to other web sites. By blocking the right click somehow. But I'm not sure how this can be done to tell it with details.

Anyway. Sites like pinterest are the reason why people are discouraged to post images online. Because then they can't control their content.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk