watercolour basic lessons online

Discuss all topics related to sketching

watercolour basic lessons online

Postby burf » Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:51 am

Hello,

Are there any lessons online for an absolute beginner?
burf
familiar face

Re: watercolour basic lessons online

Postby swayne » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:08 pm

Have you tried searching YouTube?

There's also Strathmore Artist workshops https://www.strathmoreartist.com/artist-studio/ I can recommend workshop 2.
swayne
familiar face

Postby mjs » Sat Oct 08, 2016 10:01 pm

The trouble with online watercolor lessons is that there is no simple way of separating the good ones from the less than good ones. After all, my favorite might be your nightmare

That said, on YouTube I like The Spin Doctor and The Mind of Watercolor, for a start. Google can be your friend, at least until you get burned out and decide to put the computer away and grab a brush! Good luck!

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby burf » Sun Oct 09, 2016 11:56 am

thank you swyane and Mike
burf
familiar face

Postby RajeshS » Tue Oct 11, 2016 3:38 pm

Hi "burf"

I personally purchased a lot of books to learn from - in the beginning.

The reason I mention a book is - there is usually an order in a book - that I don't find in a video. Of course "online or DVD courses" are a different thing - they are probably ordered well.

I learnt some basics a long time ago by reading Alwyn Crawshaw's Watercolor Painting - I am talking 1985-86 :) so dunno if it still even prints.

After that - I purchased many books - and keep learning a useful thing here and there

Finally - nowadays I often view videos - but I personally feel the book is a better way to start - then go to videos

But I leave the judgement to you as you will know best
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mjs » Thu Oct 13, 2016 6:04 pm

I would very much like to take a class in person but for reasons I don't understand, in the vicinity of my little town all the art classes are held on weekdays, when ordinary folks are working. Apparently budding artists must be school age or retired. It's great that there are books but when I think back to my childhood (mumble mumble) years ago I have come to believe that YouTube may be the greatest thing our species has invented.

:) Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby Thecornflake » Mon Oct 24, 2016 8:52 pm

I have found some good ones online, but as others have said there are a lot of not so good ones as well. I followed a set of videos by a guy called Matt Palmer called your first painting which just does a very simple landscape but helped me get the idea of how it works with layering, wet on wet etc and then after that I've just clicked around on youtube finding other good ones.

I have been looking around on Amazon for a couple of good books and I have a few in my wishlist to stick on my xmas list for the family to get me :)
Thecornflake

Postby burf » Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:11 pm

Mike, are you sure about it being the greatest? :shock:
What about the brush? :mrgreen:

Thecornflake - I am trying to find Watercolor Basics - Let's get started by Jack Reid, but it is out of print... is there any that you'd recommend?
burf
familiar face

Postby Alitogata » Sat Dec 03, 2016 6:20 pm

Most of the online videos are crap. And that because each and anyone shows there its own personal painting style without explaining the basics. The best way to learn how to work with watercolours is to buy a book about the basics and then start painting and practice the various techniques yourself in order to gain experience and be able to see afterwards what works for you and what not.

There are also countless watercolour books online in torrents. Search "watercolour books torrent" and you are going to be surprised on how many books you are going to find there. ( especially books for beginners, in new editions but mostly in older ones).
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk