Rice Paper

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Rice Paper

Postby Moonshadowe » Mon Feb 27, 2017 11:22 pm

This week I have been experimenting with gouache and watercolor on rice paper. It is interesting paper to work on. Very thin like tissue or tracing paper, but remarkably sturdy. Constructive c&c welcome.

Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Re: Rice Paper

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:09 am

These seem very agreeable; you seem to have a delicate enough touch to make gouache work on rice paper.

That's normally all I would say, as most people really don't want serious criticism. But if you really want criticism, though it has nothing to do with the ground or the media, there's something you can improve about the first one. A quick glance and then away might make you think it is two sketches side by side (no gutter) on the page. That happens because you didn't combine your elements with an eye to integrating the final image. The edge of the urn and the edges of the trees and the edge of the grey structure and the roof above it all line up vertically. Quite contrary to what most sketching groups preach as gospel, you shouldn't paint what you see, but what makes the maximum of sense with the minimum of effort from the viewer; if you just want an inclusive, precise image of what you see, use a camera rather than a paintbox. If you had moved two of these aligned elements out into different other alignments in order to break that straight vertical line, all the elements would be better integrated into the image, and you would have gained movement while lessening possible confusion. Just that extra second less effort from your viewer is worth having, because that is more than most viewers, bombarded by images every day, need to give up on your work. Compare your other images, which are all better constructed with regard to integration of elements -- in them nothing stops the viewer's eye negatively, discordantly.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Tue Feb 28, 2017 10:40 am

Thanks for that. I hadn't even noticed. I guess I got so caught up in trying to get the details just right that I let that slip. This is for a landscape painting class and my instructor is always saying to tell white lies to improve your images. I'm sure he would have pointed out the same thing you did if he had seen it. But you are right, in some other painting groups they are all about remaining true to the scene. I guess it comes down to artistic preference. I am more inclined to want to take artistic license so I will watch out for those tangents from now on.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Feb 28, 2017 12:55 pm

"White lies" -- heh-heh.

Elsewhere called individual vision.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Tue Feb 28, 2017 3:14 pm

Moonshadowe - that fish and pier sketch is just gorgeous ! That perspective !
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Wed Mar 01, 2017 10:56 am

Thank you Rajesh. :D
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Talk