Welcome to Sketch Talk

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Welcome to Sketch Talk

Postby Russ » Thu Dec 15, 2005 4:34 am

This is the place for anyone who sketches or have been thinking about taking it up as a hobby. Most of us are not professional artists, but simply sketch for the sake of sketching.

Registration is required on the Sketching Forum because so many automated programs are trying to flood the board with fake names. Please read the announcement, How to register as a member which can be found at the top of this forum.

Feel free to ask questions, give answers, or just ramble about anything related to sketching in any media. Let's try to limit this forum to mostly talk; if you have sketches to upload for others to view and make comments, please use the Sketch Gallery. Of course, you may upload images here if they are a necessary part of your post, just as the Sketch Gallery will include a lot of talk in addition to images.

If you are unsure about what kind of messages are appropriate, please check the announcements forum and read the rules. If you mess up your first message, don't worry about it. We can clean the mess (with your permission) and nobody gets their hand slapped for making honest mistakes around here.

Remember, those who register early get the first dibs on user names, including that coveted priviledge of simply using your first name. :D

If you are a new member but have nothing to say, feel free to test out the board's posting functions by replying to this message and introducing yourself.
Last edited by Russ on Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:14 am, edited 20 times in total.
Russ
Custodian

Thanks for building this site, Russ

Postby Len » Fri Dec 16, 2005 7:42 am

Wow! great site, I think I will really enjoy this and look forward to learning and participating.

Russ Stutler's site has been an inspiration to me years ago by providing much information not only on tools, inks and papers but has shown me I can sit with sketch pen in hand, litrerally do nothing but doodle, chicken scratch about nothing and create something interesting, even if only to me....and after an hour or so I really feel a lot better.

Good luck Russ and thank you for bringing this online. Your home page links are great, very nice and diverse selection.

Russ' web : www.stutler.cc
don't even think about it - just start sketching !
Len

You're fast!

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 16, 2005 8:09 am

Len,

I figured you'd be in bed by now like all sensible persons in America at this hour! Congrats on being the first person besides me to post here!

I'd love to see those chicken scratches some time!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Katja144 » Sat Dec 17, 2005 4:37 am

Russ, I was impressed by your page when Robert posted the link up on Pentrace yesterday and decided to pop by the discussion page...I'm not really much of an artist (esp. when it comes to watercolors)--I just wish I was :) so it's fun to see your sketches.
Katja144
familiar face

Welcome Katja144!

Postby Russ » Sat Dec 17, 2005 5:57 am

Hi Katja144, thanks for stopping by! It's still pretty quiet around here, probably will be for a long time, but that's kinda fun, too, like an empty coffee shop.

If you're a Pentracer then you probably have lots of great sketching tools at hand. I'll have to go over there to find Robert's post.
Russ
Custodian

Thanks!

Postby Elizabeth » Tue Dec 20, 2005 4:17 pm

Hi.

I found this new forum by way of the Moleskinerie page - Russ, I've been admiring your online sketchbook for some time. It is a wonderful resource.

I have been sketching/drawing (I tend to use the words interchangably) since the end of December last year. I wanted to learn how to draw, and since everyone told me that the way to learn to draw - was to draw, I have been drawing something every day since then. (355 days as of yesterday!) After about a month, I began posting my sketches to my weblog:

http://www.elizabethperry.com/woolgathering

I have been using the Moleskine small sketchbook, first with black gel pens, then with watercolor crayon (which doesn't bead up) and Niji waterbrush, and then Kuretake brush pen (which is greyish on the Moleskine paper), and lately I've been going back and forth between fountain pen with Noodler's Ink (nice and black) and some water-soluble oil pastels. I hear that Moleskine is going to come out with a watercolor paper sketchbook this winter, but I can't wait. Inspired by some of the people who post on Danny Gregory's Everyday Matters discussion group, I am experimenting with sketchbook binding for the new year...

When I am not drawing, I teach at a girls' school in Pittsburgh, PA, and I write. A children's book I wrote was published last spring by Clarion Books: Think Cool Thoughts. I also helped found a small online museum, the Pittsburgh Signs Project (http://www.pittsburghsigns.org) devoted to the visual/commercial landscape of western Pennsylvania, where I live.
-----------------------------------------------------------
drawing daily at
Elizabeth
familiar face

Welcome, Elizabeth

Postby Russ » Tue Dec 20, 2005 11:33 pm

Welcome, Elizabeth!

You use almost exactly the same materials I've been using, even down to the Kuretake brush pen. But the similarity doesn't end there. I've also taught at a girls school (in Tokyo) and even lived in Pittsburgh. I went to the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in the late 1970s and sketched all over that city as an art student -- I wonder if any of my old teachers are still there... Great memories! The Pittsburgh Signs web site brought back many memories too; I immediately recognized several. I remember being mesmerisedmany evenings by that Westinghouse sign as I waited for the bus to go home.

Your drawing a day project is amazing! With your perission I'll add it to the Sketchers on the Web section.

Thanks!
Russ
Custodian

coincidences /connections

Postby Elizabeth » Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:01 am

My using a Kuretake brush pen isn't exactly a coincidence - I think it was a reference you made to them that got me looking for them a few months ago! I've only found the black cartridges online, but it's very satisfying to use, even if (or maybe because?) it shows every hesitation and awkwardness.

My family lived in Japan off and on when I was growing up - so I delight in looking at your sketchbook - so much has changed since I was 11 and a student at Nishimachi International School in 1971... and so much still feels familiar.

One of these days I'll find a way to get back, meanwhile, your sketches are a marvelous window! Thanks.

In return, I'll try to get out and do a few more Pittsburgh landmark sketchcrawls when the weather warms up. Cold weather will probably send me inside the Carnegie Museums to draw bones and plaster casts and dioramas...

And I'd be very pleased to have my site linked among the sketchers on the web, thanks. (Think the link is broken right now, though...)
drawing daily at
Elizabeth
familiar face

Postby KarenWinters » Wed Dec 21, 2005 8:03 am

Hi Russ,

I've admired your work for some time, congratulations on starting the new discussion forum. I used to draw quite a bit when I was a newlywed, but I put it aside for about 20 years while I raised our family, ran our business and took care of elders. About two years ago our youngest went off to college and I started drawing again, which practically felt like starting over.

I like to draw in all different media including Kuretake pen, Rapidoliner, graphite, Microns, dip pens of many sorts, reed pens ... and Photoshop CS and Painter. I'll try anything at least once!

And I love, love watercolor and hope to intensify my study in 2006. Thanks for inviting us here.
KarenWinters
one of the regulars

Welcome, Karen!

Postby Russ » Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:26 am

Welcome, Karen!

I'm already familiar with your Random Acts of Inkness (it's on the Sketchers on the Web section). Very impressive!

Watercolor is exciting for me as well. I need to make more time for it!
Russ
Custodian

Re: Welcome, Karen!

Postby KarenWinters » Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:38 pm

Russ wrote:Welcome, Karen!

I'm already familiar with your Random Acts of Inkness (it's on the Sketchers on the Web section). Very impressive!

Watercolor is exciting for me as well. I need to make more time for it!

Thanks for including me, Russ. I really appreciate it.

Although I keep that site as an archive, in the last six months I've mostly switched to a blog format instead. I'm not updating that page very often.

http://www.karensblog.com is a much better link for current sketching, including sketchcrawls. I post new sketching or painting daily.
KarenWinters
one of the regulars

Re: Welcome, Karen!

Postby Russ » Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:10 am

KarenWinters wrote:http://www.karensblog.com is a much better link for current sketching, including sketchcrawls. I post new sketching or painting daily.

Okay, I'll make the switch in the links. Thanks for the heads up! Both are great sites!
Last edited by Russ on Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russ
Custodian

Postby Katja144 » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:02 am

I do indeed have a good selection of FPs, but I certainly can't draw in pen--I mess up too much and have to erase! I really am going to try doing it in watercolor though...I love watercolors but am horrible at them, maybe I'd do better at sketching than actual finished paintings. I had an old gift certificate to use up from Art Supply Warehouse, so among other things I ordered a waterbrush; they carry the Aquaflo water brushes....I can't wait until it gets here and I can try it out!
Katja144
familiar face

Sketches and actual finished paintings

Postby Russ » Thu Dec 22, 2005 7:01 am

Katja144, your comment about sketches versus actual finished paintings brings up a idea for a new topic. I've mentioned my views on this on my online sketchbook, but they are too one-sided and opinionated to make an article on the home page here (I much prefer sketches).

You'll love your new waterbrush!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Laura » Mon Dec 26, 2005 1:16 pm

Hello Russ, I learned of your website last summer, I think, and very much admire your work and your spirit. I find the booklist on your site so useful---have ordered several of the ones you list---as well as the information you post about materials.
I've always worked in the broad field of visual arts, whether in a museum setting, as a curator of decorative arts, as an event designer, interior designer and more. My training is in fine arts, as opposed to graphic design or illustration. I now work (almost) solely out of my own studio and have been on a drawing tear for over a year. I started a blog last year devoted to my artwork: www.laurelines.typepad.com. I had specific goals for 2005, including expanding my personal color palette and feeling more comfortable sketching in public. I've made progress on these fronts and will be posting about setting and meeting these and other art goals this week on my blog.
Reading Karen's blog this morning, I discovered this forum and am delighted you've started it. I look forward to participating.

Laura

Hello to Karen, Liz and Lindsay!
Laura

Next

Return to Sketch Talk