Welcome to Sketch Talk

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Postby Elizabeth » Mon Dec 26, 2005 3:27 pm

Hello, Laura!

Glad to see you here. I am looking forward to the conversations in this discussion space in the new year.

Thanks again, Russ, for establishing it.

Cheers.

Elizabeth
-----------------------------------------------------------
drawing daily at
http://www.elizabethperry.com/woolgathering
-----------------------------------------------------------
Elizabeth
familiar face

Postby marisa » Thu Dec 29, 2005 9:02 am

Hi Russ,
I have discovered your forum through Karen Winters' blog.
I have enjoyed your blog too, and I too like to draw more than just paint (perhaps as I'm not very successful there!). I love to do travelling journals as I think they are much more interesting than single paintings.
I'm glad of the existence of this forum as - I have a feeling - it will be a very interesting discussion forum.
Best of luck
Marisa
marisa
familiar face

Welcome Marisa!

Postby Russ » Thu Dec 29, 2005 1:49 pm

Welcome Marisa! Like everybody else, I'm a newbie to this forum (even though I started it) and didn't notice this topic had spilled onto a second page where I found your post.

I'd love to see samples from your travel journals. I also believe this will be an interesting forum. There are other similar forums out there, but none that narrow in on just sketching while being broad enough to include all sketch media (as far as I know). This one excites me!
Russ
Custodian

Welcome Laura!

Postby Russ » Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:00 am

Welcome Laura!

Glad you found us. It looks like your varied experience will be a benefit to the rest of us. I just checked out your great web site and would like to add it to Sketchers on the Web with your permission. Great work!

It sounds like you already have friends here (one of whom noticed your post and welcomed you before I did).

BTW I'd love to hear more about your personal palette. Sounds intriguing!
Russ
Custodian

Postby ajlec2000 » Thu Jan 12, 2006 10:53 pm

A few months ago I ran into your other site and discovered the yatates. Since then I have "made" a couple of my own. I got some lidded palette cups stuffed them with cotton balls and put sumi in one and walnut ink in the other.
They work great. Now where ever I go I can sketch with a brush without any mess.

I was quite delighted to see you have a forum and I'm going to go check out the rest of the posts now.
ajlec2000
one of the regulars

Welcome ajlec2000!

Postby Russ » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:13 am

That "modern yatate" is a great idea. There is actually a Japanese book on sketching where the artist recommends the same set up. He goes a step further and dips disposable wooden chop sticks in the ink and uses them instead of a pen. They are great for drawing lines and also stamping small marks that are repeated like windows and spaces between picket fences.

Of course, in Japan, disposable wooden chop sticks are everywhere.

Glad to hear from another brush sketcher.

Wlecome ajlec2000!
Russ
Custodian

Greetings...

Postby BigBrad » Mon Mar 20, 2006 1:24 am

Well, I was finally able to get "aboard." I tried several times the last few days to register on this forum, but was not receiving the activation email on my Yahoo! email account in return. So (with thanks to Russ for patiently deleting my profile each time it did not activate) I tried registering through an alternate (non-Yahoo!) email, and got it on the first try. I would be curious to find out if anyone else entered a Yahoo! email when they initially registered and what the results were...

Anyhow, it is good to be here, and I am looking forward to chatting with you guys and gals about what is also one of my passions/hobbies: drawing.

Sincerely,
BigBrad

Welcome Brad

Postby Russ » Mon Mar 20, 2006 2:20 am

Hi Brad. I'm glad to see you finally got over the hurdle. That's a valuable piece of information about Yahoo e-mail addresses having potential trouble getting in.

This board will definitely feed your passion. Welcome aboard!
Russ
Custodian

Postby not me » Tue May 02, 2006 11:50 pm

Hi, I'm new here.

Have just spent a happy hour or so looking at everyone's amazing sketches and feeling envious of all your lovely little sketchboxes.

Nice to find a forum full of like minded people.
not me
familiar face

Postby Russ » Tue May 02, 2006 11:52 pm

Welcome, not me. Well, your name fits because you are not me (couldn't resist) :)
Russ
Custodian

Postby not me » Wed May 03, 2006 12:00 am

Ha ha!

Maybe I should have chosen Ann Onymous?
not me
familiar face

Postby Chris » Thu May 04, 2006 12:19 am

Wow, a lot of new faces here. Welcome all. I've been away a couple of weeks so haven't been able to respond here, but I'm back. Nice to be back too.
Chris

Postby r.e.wolf » Thu May 04, 2006 3:17 am

Another newbie!
r.e.wolf

Bone & Shadow
r.e.wolf
familiar face

welcome r.e.wolf

Postby Russ » Sat May 06, 2006 12:21 pm

welcome r.e.wolf!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Katherine T » Mon May 22, 2006 10:31 pm

Hi - I'm new here but had intended to be posting before this!

I've been sketching for many years and favour
(1) pen and ink (usually a Rotring Art pen or a Pilot G-Tec-C4 using sepia pen if I can) or
(2) a Pentel mechanical pencil + graphite in a black hardback sketchbook by Daler Rowney - the one with the nice smooth paper and the perforations so you can take pages out easily or get the to lie flat so you can use a double page spread.

I started to use a Moleskine at the end of last year and am really enjoying both the format, the paper - and the elastic band!

You can see my sketches on various travels if you click on the link in my signature to my travel sketchbooks.
My blog: Making A Mark http://makingamark.blogspot.com - #3 in the top 25 art blogs in the UK
My Sketchblog Travels with a Sketchbook http://travelsketch.blogspot.com - recommended by "The Times"
Katherine T
one of the regulars

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Talk