Welcome to Sketch Talk

Discuss all topics related to sketching

Postby Russ » Thu Apr 09, 2009 1:52 pm

Welcome Sarah! Glad you are able to find your way around here :)
Russ
Custodian

Postby byot » Sun Apr 12, 2009 9:23 am

Thanks both!
byot
one of the regulars

New forum member - happy to be here!

Postby Leslie » Sat Aug 15, 2009 3:17 am

I'm so excited to have found this great group of kindred spirits! I love the supportive atmosphere and willingness to share. I've been getting back into drawing and painting after a l-o-n-g hiatus while raising kids and then getting my business started. I'm enjoying sketching more than I ever did before, I think because I've come to realize it's all about the process, not the finished product. I've struggled for years with perfectionist tendencies that made me think, "If I can't be a great artist, why bother?" But I guess I've finally wised up, because I'm having so much fun with it now. Working in a sketchbook seems to take the pressure off.

I tend to work in pen, ink, and watercolor, but I'm also enjoying experimenting with watercolor pencils, and I'll be taking a pastel class this fall. I'm open to trying new things, and I'm a real art supply junkie. It's been fun reading the forum and learning about the tools and supplies some of you are using.

Now if I can just figure out how to post some of my sketches in the gallery...

It's a little intimidating, seeing all the beautiful work that some of you have done, but I know that I'm a work in progress and the more I draw, the better I'll be. And I'm having a great time learning!

Leslie
Prosperity, PA
Leslie
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Sat Aug 15, 2009 4:59 am

Welcome Leslie, I'm sure you'll find lots of kindred spirits here. Go ahead and try to upload an image. I think you'll find the process very easy. (added later: I see you did; congratulations).
Russ
Custodian

Postby psecody » Sat Dec 19, 2009 6:12 am

Hello everyone, I found this site by accident a couple of days ago while looking for reviews and information on brushpens (or penbrush's haha). It took me a while to make the connection between this board and Russ's site but once I saw his avatar I knew. @Russ: I really like your style of sketching, I ordered myself some water colors and a water brush for Christmas and am looking forward to playing with them.

My Sketching/Drawing history: I've always liked to draw ever since I was a little kid but never really took it that serious, I mean 90% of my drawings from age 5 and up were more like blueprints or schematics or concept drawings for stuff I was planning on building. The last two years of college (I''m an electrical engineering student) I've been needing to bring up my GPA so I took some "blow off" drawing classes, I actually enjoyed them besides the "being put on a deadline with my drawings" thing. Anyway I broke my ankle rock climbing a few weeks ago and have pretty much been confined to a recliner so I found my pencils and my sketchbook and started drawing. Most of the things I've done so far would be more like a drawing then a sketch because of the detail but after looking at this site I'm very excited to start trying to sketch as well. I'm going to try and put up some of my sketches but it may be after the crazy Christmas season before I can get around to doing it.
psecody
familiar face

Hi all

Postby ahar » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:51 am

Having started almost 6 years ago with pencil drawing (Alas those goth dark manipulators at Epilogue got the better of me ) and with huge efforts and sweat I learned how to draw lines with sticks (on sand) . After my kindergarten period, I discovered finger paints ( also known as water colors - heh heh heh- ) and I decided to try them out .. WOW...!!! me pepl stick fgres has nicy nicy coolurs now!!!! Need to find better sand that takes color on better!

So I tryied and tried and tried to put some color to my BW dreams and images....

Untill the time that I discovered your drawings Russ.
Yeap ! you guessed it right . Epiphany all over again!!!

I can now combine two of my favorites pass times mountaineering and water color sketching and I do have some nice drawings of mount Olympus from my summer hiking trip.

I am mostly using my trusty Widsor Newton field box and I have during the last year incorporated the water brushes to my collection . The moleskine is also a steady companion in my funny pack during the day.

Hoping to find even more inspiration here I will try to draw what I see and hopefully give you a small part of Greece through my drawings...

Alexander Haronitakis
Athens
Grecce
ahar

Postby jimbo » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 am

Hi
I am new to sketching potraits. Been to a weekend session where I was told by the tutor I had a unique style!! I will not say that my potraits were great, but there seemed to be some degree of resemblance to what we were drawing. The session on landscapes did not somehow inspire me. Any tips on improving my skills so that I feel more confident with what I do.
Thanks
jimbo
jimbo

Postby Russ » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:47 pm

Welcome to the forum, jimbo! Go ahead and post samples of your work in the sketch gallery and I'm sure some folks here will give helpful tips. The only tip I can offer at this point is to make sure you are having fun! :)
Russ
Custodian

Hello!

Postby Inky Ess » Mon May 16, 2011 7:20 am

Hello fellow sketchers. So happy to be here and looking forward to joining in with this great forum. I love to sketch and am hoping to improve some, practice makes perfect as they say... well anyway, in my case it can do no harm and I enjoy it. Sorry, I'll stop rambling in a minute! :D
Inky Ess

Brand New Here!! :)

Postby Seanskii » Sat Sep 24, 2011 6:20 pm

Hello All!! I have been wanting to post here for a while but lack of internet connection made it rather impossible!. I found this site a couple of years ago, and was so completely knocked out by Russ' sketches and approach! I was so inspired to get out and do much of the same thing, with my watercolors and waterbrushes, which Russ' Handbook turned me on to, although I have so much to learn! I am enjoying the process. Thank you Russ, for allowing me the opportunity to express my gratitude!!

sean :)
Attachments
goldieadj.jpg
Here is a sketch of my new friend, Goldie.
goldieadj.jpg (39.05 KiB) Viewed 3229 times
Seanskii
familiar face

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:15 am

Welcome to the forum Seanskii! Great watercolor sketch! Thanks for the kind words, too!

And I owe a thousand apologies to Inky Ess for not noticing your post until now! A belated welcome to Inky Ess! (and anyone else whom I have neglected in this thread!)
Russ
Custodian

G'day from New Zealand.....

Postby visionari1 » Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:33 am

Hi everyone,
Wow this is a great forum....
Found it after getting a new Mac computer and downloading speed dial and started loading up my area's of interest into it.
These are Saxophone playing, Drawing and Sketching, Woodblock & Printing, and Health and Spirit.

And this is how I found "the Sketching Forum"
Later on I also found Russ Stutlers site and the link back to the Forum, so I thought I'd better join up and here I am.
I've been drawing of and on for 10 years of more. I have traveled widely, taking notebooks and pencils, but mostly ended up taking slide shots of nature and national parks.
I live in a lovely part of New Zealand known for its arts and crafts people, I still do some woodwork (used to be full time artist furniture maker)

I have so many interests it's hard to fit them all in and do justice to them all.

I really like the immediate quick fairly simple sketches, with added colour , although my style seems to lean towards the realistic end of the scale.

Anyway I look forward to participating in this forum and extending myself into new areas.

I will post a few of my drawings.
Attachments
JimuDrawing LesterSm.jpg
An outline tracing of Lester Young, this was an exercise in shading, to see how it went.....cheating really, but I did learn heaps from it.
I used a light box to trace from a computer printout!
JimuDrawing LesterSm.jpg (92.07 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
chestnutsSm.jpg
Chestnuts on the outside table.
chestnutsSm.jpg (45.69 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
MadiBikeSm.jpg
After a long day in the saddle, most relaxing to just sit down and draw.
MadiBikeSm.jpg (26.31 KiB) Viewed 3158 times
Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

"Thinking requires leisure time"
Aristotle.
visionari1
familiar face

Postby Russ » Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:44 am

Welcome to the forum, Jimu! From your info, it looks like you will love it here! Great sketches!
Russ
Custodian

Re: Welcome to Sketch Talk

Postby Fuschiahedgehog » Wed Apr 24, 2013 6:18 am

Greetings all!

I love reading this forum, so I decided to join up.
I am a stay-at-home-mom, or as I like to say, Domestic Engineer. I enjoy sketching and painting in my spare time and I am a bit of an art supply hoarder. I look forward to participating on the forum!
Fuschiahedgehog

Re: Welcome to Sketch Talk

Postby visionari1 » Wed Apr 24, 2013 9:17 am

Welcome Fushiahedgehog.
Hope you like it here.
Cheers
Jimu
Cheers & Ciao
Jimu

"Thinking requires leisure time"
Aristotle.
visionari1