Sketches from Andre

Show your sketches

Re: Sketches from Andre

Postby Andre Jute » Thu May 11, 2017 1:00 am

Today I rode out into the countryside to a Tree of Life to photograph it before the buds grew into too many leaves, too thick to see the branches giving it shape. I’ll put the photographs aside to use as inspiration for a painting I’ll make in the winter. Oils, about 16x12in I think.

You may ask why I don’t paint it on the spot. Simple. That field, on which the grass and small flowers look so smooth, is in fact incredibly rough under the grass, so there’s nowhere level to put up an easel, and that is if you don’t first turn or break an ankle just walking the half-mile or so up the length of the field. But that isn’t the worst. The tree stands on the edge of a valley, and the wind howls over that field; it’s uncomfortable and cold, and I'm not Matthew (!). And it is most definitely not an alla prima painting, so a studio job it is.

So many amazing vistas in Ireland, so little time to paint them.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Thu May 11, 2017 1:40 pm

It looks great and very interesting to paint. :)
I'm looking forward to see the painting.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Thu May 11, 2017 7:56 pm

The tree is here for everyone who wants to paint it.

Just a recap of the rules of the game Marialena invented: Anyone can just paint it; no permission is required. Any medium, any ground, any size. The game doesn't care about urban sketchers' shibboleths, so style is free too; your art needn't be representational; you can leave out whatever you like, or insert flying clocks for all I care (Salvador Dali did). In your own time; there's no closing date. Publish your version in this thread (and in your own as well, if you wish). Your art belongs to you, of course, regardless of whose photograph is the inspiration for it. It's not a competition: there's no prize and no selection committee; everyone's art has equal value.

Do try it. Have fun.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Previous

Return to Sketch Gallery