Sketches from Andre

Show your sketches

Re: Sketches from Andre

Postby Andre Jute » Thu May 11, 2017 1:00 am

Today I rode out into the countryside to a Tree of Life to photograph it before the buds grew into too many leaves, too thick to see the branches giving it shape. I’ll put the photographs aside to use as inspiration for a painting I’ll make in the winter. Oils, about 16x12in I think.

You may ask why I don’t paint it on the spot. Simple. That field, on which the grass and small flowers look so smooth, is in fact incredibly rough under the grass, so there’s nowhere level to put up an easel, and that is if you don’t first turn or break an ankle just walking the half-mile or so up the length of the field. But that isn’t the worst. The tree stands on the edge of a valley, and the wind howls over that field; it’s uncomfortable and cold, and I'm not Matthew (!). And it is most definitely not an alla prima painting, so a studio job it is.

So many amazing vistas in Ireland, so little time to paint them.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Thu May 11, 2017 1:40 pm

It looks great and very interesting to paint. :)
I'm looking forward to see the painting.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Thu May 11, 2017 7:56 pm

The tree is here for everyone who wants to paint it.

Just a recap of the rules of the game Marialena invented: Anyone can just paint it; no permission is required. Any medium, any ground, any size. The game doesn't care about urban sketchers' shibboleths, so style is free too; your art needn't be representational; you can leave out whatever you like, or insert flying clocks for all I care (Salvador Dali did). In your own time; there's no closing date. Publish your version in this thread (and in your own as well, if you wish). Your art belongs to you, of course, regardless of whose photograph is the inspiration for it. It's not a competition: there's no prize and no selection committee; everyone's art has equal value.

Do try it. Have fun.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:25 am

On Bone Folders and a Source for a Suitable Size for Sketchers

A while ago Marialena Sarris told me about the Vintage Paper Co, who sells otherwise unobtainable paper NOS, like their name says, and other useful goodies. I bought something (can't remember what, and it wasn't worth mentioning here because I bought the whole remaining stock), so now I'm on their mailing list, which they post to so rarely that it's always worth paying attention. Here's an inexpensive small-book bone folder, an item difficult to find in any size and especially the more useful small-book sizes, that may be of interest to those of you who bind your own sketchbooks. As always, check the postage before you buy from a foreign vendor.

This is what it looks like in Vintage Paper's photo:

Here's the URL if you're interested:

https://vintagepaper.co/collections/boo ... el-4-105mm

And for scale, from my article on the easy way to build an impressive DIY sketchbook, here is my own general purpose (sniff, sniff, that's what we say when we could find only one size and shape for sale) bone folder lying on a 13" tall slip cover next to a huge breadknife I use for ripping imperial sheet into folios before creasing them with the bone folder for insertion into signatures.

It works well enough with 300gsm cotton sheets, but could be a bit bigger for that, and for thinner sheets could be a bit more delicate. What I'm saying is that several sizes and shapes of bone folder are handy to have. If you're making sextodecimo sketchbooks (say A5, about 8x6in, strictly 7.5x5.5in which is a 16th of an 22x30in imperial sheet) and smaller, with appropriate paper, I think you probably want a bone folder roundabout the 4" mark, like the one Vintage Paper is selling.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Jun 11, 2017 2:30 am

You couldn't resist the temptation eh?? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Jun 11, 2017 12:11 pm

That was a good tip. And Zecchi in Florence.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Jun 11, 2017 6:15 pm

Andre Jute wrote:That was a good tip. And Zecchi in Florence.

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Don't speak their name! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:31 pm

Alitogata wrote:

What have they done that's so shocking?
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:14 pm

Andre Jute wrote:
Alitogata wrote:

What have they done that's so shocking?

They tempt me to buy whatever they sell!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Same as the Vintage Paper Co. do.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:21 pm

It is a conspiracy in order to drive painters and sketchers towards bankruptcy ha ha ha ha haaaaaaa

I have do show some character as Teoh ( parka ) did, who went to Tokyo and visited two art materials stores from which the one had six floors and the other another five but Teoh left these stores without buying nothing more than two brushes.
I told him that he is going to become a saint, because if I was in his place I would, for sure,needed at least a track to hold my shopping afterwards. In the worst case a ship container.. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Jun 12, 2017 4:17 pm

Congratulations to both of you.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Previous

Return to Sketch Gallery