Brian's Sketches

Show your sketches

Re: Brian's Sketches

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:10 am

brianvds wrote:
Andre Jute wrote:Love your glassware. Off to make a Marmite and banana sammie.

Thanks. I rather enjoy drawing and painting glass. It is easier than it looks, but people don't know that, so it is an easy way to knock their socks off. :-)

I didn't know one could combine Marmite and banana! Now unlike those poor Americans, I would agree that Marmite is the food of the gods. But with banana? Strange combination. My preference is for plain old Marmite on toast. I once served it to American friends of mine. I'm not sure they ever forgave me. :-)

I and some other people introduced an American writer to Marmite. Nobody thought to tell her that you spread the stuff thinly. She started out eating it with a spoon, and soon had a regular delivery from an Amazon affiliated grocer, UD$90 every month. Er, I thought there was a single thread on it but Marmite squeezed into a lot of threads on ROBUST, the forum where it happened. https://www.goodreads.com/group/comment ... bust?utf8=✓&q=Marmite&commit=search. It'll take a week of reading to find the precise point where that startling detail came out.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Dec 24, 2017 11:27 am

Marmite with banana! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: Bliah!
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Sun Dec 24, 2017 12:17 pm

RajeshS wrote:Hi Brian,

The Marmite bottle and egg!!!

You have a great control on colors! And form too.

Excellent art

Rajesh

Thanks! I find eggs rather terrifying to paint. But very satisfactory on those occasions where they work out. :-)
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:27 pm

A quick and somewhat random beginning-of-the-year sketch. I couldn't get the old geezer to sit for me so I cheated and used a photo reference:

brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:38 pm

That's really good..! Photos are very good way to improve your sketching skills on portraits... I mean practising with photos and then attack the real thing! :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Mon Jan 01, 2018 1:43 pm

Alitogata wrote:That's really good..! Photos are very good way to improve your sketching skills on portraits... I mean practising with photos and then attack the real thing! :)

Thanks. :-)
Reference photos are always a bit terrifying. I kind of prefer sketching portraits from life; for some reason I actually find it easier to capture a likeness that way. But the world isn't exactly overflowing with willing models, so mostly I have to use photos. I don't really like drawing portraits anyway, but it is a good way to exercise the eye.
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Sun Jan 07, 2018 3:50 pm

Some of my latest adventures. An oil; not my most successful, though it's growing on me:

Not far from where I live there is a place where mini train enthusiasts offer rides. There is a whole big terrain with the tracks, areas for picnic, and a pond where miniature boat enthusiasts come to sail their remote control boats. This particular train is a diesel model, but there are also steam ones with genuine steam-driven engines:

As you can imagine, kids love it. Anyway, it's also a nice place to sketch people going about their business, because they are mostly so focused on the trains they don't really notice you. I have become terribly rusty though. I can swear I was better than this...

brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Wed Jan 10, 2018 11:29 am

And one more:

Oil on board, 15 x 20 cm (= 6 x 8 inches).

As I noted before, I sometimes work from reference photos. But I don't really like it. I do so because I can't afford to keep on buying fresh fruit and vegetables, so when I do, I take a bunch of photos for later use. But this sketch just showed me again why it is so much more satisfying to work from life. Here's my setup:

Simple, cobbled-together shadow box on a cutting board, on a small platform, on my desk. But see how the camera gets the colors all wrong: some parts to bright, others underexposed, the tomato's rich colors all pale, etc. Had I worked from this photo the painting would be just as flat, or I would have to keep on compensating for it the whole time.

I am looking around for fake, but reasonably real-looking, fruits and vegetables to try out in still life setups. :-)
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Wed Jan 10, 2018 1:32 pm

Check the yellow pages of suppliers to florists and craft flower arrangers: they sell artificial fruit and veg and silk flowers, etc.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Wed Jan 10, 2018 2:17 pm

Andre Jute wrote:Check the yellow pages of suppliers to florists and craft flower arrangers: they sell artificial fruit and veg and silk flowers, etc.

Yeah, this will be a new project, though perhaps not a desperately urgent one. But I'll keep an eye out; given the style I work in, artificial fruit and veg ought to work. Apparently Cezanne very frequently used paper flowers.

I actually saw some plastic peppers at the local China Mall yesterday, but they looked a bit too plastic to my liking. One can get hold of quite realistic looking ones. They are expensive, but once you have a little collection you can reuse them in endless new combinations. It'e one of the things I like so much about still life: there is just no end to the possibilities for using even a smallish collection of objects over and over. I can begin to see why Morandi could lock himself away with his collection of bottles and make a career out of it. Not that I particularly like his work as such, but I like the philosophy. :-)
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Fri Jan 12, 2018 3:38 pm

Cattle egret. Ballpoint pen with colored pencil:

Combining ballpoint and colored pencil is a favorite sketching medium for me, but with both they are a horror to photograph. At least with my little point and shoot, the colors simply won't reproduce correctly; the colored pencil tends to come out too pale, and the black ballpoint lines acquire a reddish tinge. No amount of cleanup in Gimp will completely solve either problem. I'll try again in better light and see if that works...
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Jan 13, 2018 3:26 am

Super sketch. I wouldn't worry too much about the shortcomings of your camera. As long as the colors stand well in relation to each other, we'll get the idea -- and it forces you to have a strong line, a good thing!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:16 am

Andre Jute wrote:Super sketch. I wouldn't worry too much about the shortcomings of your camera. As long as the colors stand well in relation to each other, we'll get the idea -- and it forces you to have a strong line, a good thing!

Thanks for the vote of confidence. I may just make a bazillion more such bird sketches - I'm thinking of doing a children's book on common birds, with such informal sketches as illustrations. But for such a purpose they'll have to be properly scanned...
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:30 am

brianvds wrote:I may just make a bazillion more such bird sketches - I'm thinking of doing a children's book on common birds, with such informal sketches as illustrations. But for such a purpose they'll have to be properly scanned...

Make the sketches first, write the book, interest a publisher, and you won't have to worry about digitizing the sketches -- the publisher will pay to have it done professionally.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:35 am

Andre Jute wrote:
brianvds wrote:I may just make a bazillion more such bird sketches - I'm thinking of doing a children's book on common birds, with such informal sketches as illustrations. But for such a purpose they'll have to be properly scanned...

Make the sketches first, write the book, interest a publisher, and you won't have to worry about digitizing the sketches -- the publisher will pay to have it done professionally.

I go the self-published way with the writing stuff. It has lots of advantages, but one does have to look after all the technical bits by oneself.
brianvds
one of the regulars

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Gallery