Artist at Work

Show your sketches

Artist at Work

Postby mdmattin » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:46 pm

On Saturday I participated in the “Artists at Work" and Ice Cream Social event at the Monson House of Art, where I’m also showing a couple of paintings.
www.monsonartscouncil.org
It was a beautiful day to be out painting and chatting with passersby.

monson sm.jpg
monson sm.jpg (177.99 KiB) Viewed 28 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: Artist at Work

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Apr 17, 2018 1:20 am

Who's the handsome fellow in your photo?

I like your price for the "Three Women" in what I assume is a homage to some 1930s American painters: a monumental painting should have a monumental price!

I had no trouble, however, picking out your other painting even before your name came up, because that style is clean and honest and it communicates something about your community.

If at the show you hear any comments about the gulf between your styles, do repeat them here. I'm always interested in how people perceive art.

Congratulations on being chosen for the exhibition, Matthew.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby brianvds » Wed Apr 18, 2018 10:21 am

I shudder at the very thought of drawing or painting in public, with crowds milling around me and looking over my shoulder. :-)
brianvds
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sat Apr 21, 2018 4:10 am

Thank you Andre! I guess the price is a bit steep - after all, you could pick up two Yoko Ono rocks for the same amount!
I appreciate your comment about the other painting - that is what I am striving for - to communicate a response to a time and place without getting in the way.
Brian, I know that feeling - I've been mostly doing somewhat remote and unpopulated nature subjects because I felt self-conscious working with people around. I'm glad I did this exhibition gig, because I had to confront that and found that it wasn't so bad after all. I'm going attempt more urban subjects now.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery