Artist Cards -

Show your sketches

Artist Cards -

Postby ArtbyHill » Thu May 12, 2011 12:22 am

Anyone here do artist trading cards or ACEO cards?
Trying to keep up sketching daily.
ArtbyHill
familiar face

Postby malissa18 » Thu May 12, 2011 2:34 pm

I have always wanted to. The thought has cross my many times. They seem so cool to have handy - when you want to draw or paint something but just don't have the time to make a full 3 hr sketch of it or whatever.

I do hope someone else replies soon artbyhill! In the meantime, there are quite a few books on the subject available at amazon.com

http://www.amazon.com/Artist-Trading-Ca ... 239&sr=8-1
The pen should, as it were, walk slowly over the ground, and you should be able at any moment to stop it, or to turn it in any other direction, like a well-managed horse.

Ruskin, John.
malissa18
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Thu May 12, 2011 11:46 pm

I had never heard of these and had to do a web search after stopping first at the Amazon link. Fascinating idea!
Russ
Custodian

Postby RevolutionHeart » Thu May 19, 2011 5:04 pm

I think this is a cool idea. Some of my comic book artist friends do them but I've never really seen it done by other types of artists.
RevolutionHeart
familiar face

Postby BeginAgin » Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:44 am

Love the idea, ArtbyHill, but I have
no experience with them. I have
seen them online and in books, but
never "in person."

Like you, I have questions and hope
that someone here will be able to tell us
about ACEO and other kinds of cards.
What about sending cards in the mail
(without an envelope).
Do we need to use a fixative to protect
them in the handling? Anybody done it?

annie
BeginAgin
one of the regulars

Postby leaparicio » Sat Jun 18, 2011 3:12 pm

A friend gave me a set but haven't used them. It would be nice if we could start trading here.
leaparicio
one of the regulars

artists cards

Postby mike » Wed Jun 22, 2011 8:46 pm

I had never heard of this before,there is some nice work in this miniature field.Thought i'd give it a try, only to realize just how tiny 2.5" x 3.5" is !(a bit pixelated I'm afraid)
Attachments
suprized.JPG
suprized.JPG (39.21 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
girl with hat000.JPG
girl with hat000.JPG (31.96 KiB) Viewed 3359 times
mike
one of the regulars

Postby Aleada » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:37 pm

I've used the cards with a smooth stock for pen and ink, I taped it onto a sketchbook page because it was too small to hold. You fix it like any other art, if you don't fix your pen and ink or pencil drawings you may not want to fix these. It's my understanding that they are just miniature art that you keep to trade with others and to collect. It's a bit small for me, but fun on occasion. I will post some when I get my scanner ready. If you do a search you may find groups and people showing and trading, many are collage or have collage elements in them. Here is one site with info on finishes and storage, there are so many other sites with info too.

http://www.altered-art.net/artist-trading-cards.html

Aleada
http://www.aleadasiragusa.com
Aleada
familiar face

Postby KuhlmanArts » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:31 pm

I've done a handful of trades...mostly to get my kids and niece involved in art.

I was surprised at how challenging it was to work in such a small format. There are many, many trading groups out there and swaps going all of the time based on themes, topics, characters, etc.

I recommend participating for a fun diversion and to stretch your abilities.

I've done a couple through this group: http://www.atcsforall.com. I use the same screen name as here and have mostly just showcased my lousy painting skills! No one can turn a semi-decent drawing to cr*p with a paint brush faster than I can!
KuhlmanArts
familiar face

Postby Russ » Sun Sep 25, 2011 11:52 am

Suddenly I have become interested in this format because my current work schedule has me commuting during the peak subway "crush hour" in the morning and I have to keep my stuff as small as possible to fit into a waist pouch or better yet, a pocket.

Also, the abundance of cheap trading card binders in Japan had me thinking of the possibilities.

So I cut out a few sheets of sketch paper to regulation size (2.5 X 3.5 inch) and tried a sketch this morning after church. I might warm up to this small format once I get the hang of it. It's even more portable than postcards, which I have been using lately.

I stood and finished the sketch on the spot and my hand didn't get tired. :) I did this with brush pen (carbon ink) and watercolor.

Anyone else sketching in this small format? Apparently it goes by the names ATC (Artist Trading Cards) and ACEO (Art Cards, Editions and Originals).
Attachments
ichikawa_ATC_sketch.png
Ichikawa Church
ichikawa_ATC_sketch.png (254.01 KiB) Viewed 3138 times
Russ
Custodian

Postby rose » Sun Sep 25, 2011 1:08 pm

Nice sketch. It shows some of the possibilities of this small format. I tried this size for several weeks before switching to the slightly smaller credit card size, 85.6X53.98mm (3.37X2.125 inches). At first, I even rounded the corners like a credit card because they go into a wallet so easily (and business card holders) and look finished. I have abandoned round corners because of speed when cutting. It is easy to use any credit card, ATM card, etc. to mark the paper for cutting.

Either ACEO or credit card size are fast and fun to sketch and paint. Most of us already draw in small format in some portion of a larger sketch, so learning to use the small format is rapid. And they really are easy to file and store, discard or, even, unobtrusively leave for someone else's enjoyment.
rose
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:07 am

I think I'm sold. During the work week I'm lucky if I get one sketch a day. It often takes a few lunch breaks to complete a sketch. But today with this small format, I made five sketches. I was more willing to take a chance on simple subjects (including some that might vanish before I finished them). Keeping the cards in my shirt pocket was also a big help.

Two were done on the morning subway (I take two trains to work, the first is "crush hour" packed, but the second has some room to sketch), one sketch of a plant on my lunch break (I only get 40 minutes) and then two more on the commute home.

Actually I made 6 sketches if you include a sketch I made for one of my students. I pretended I was drawing his classmate but it was really a sketch of a chimpanzee from memory, which had everyone laughing when they saw the results. Keeping a few small cards in my pocket allowed for such a great moment.

These were all brush pen (ink) and watercolor, and done fairly quickly.

Oh yeah, I also trimmed the excess on my palette space. This one was a business card holder with my newly vacuum formed palette. I really cut my finger this time when I was making the mold! Two days later it's still bleeding.
Attachments
20110926_ATC_palette.jpg
card holder palette
20110926_ATC_palette.jpg (76.5 KiB) Viewed 3110 times
20110926_ATC_sketches.jpg
5 trading card size sketches
20110926_ATC_sketches.jpg (168.59 KiB) Viewed 3113 times
Russ
Custodian

Postby RajeshS » Mon Sep 26, 2011 11:37 am

:) Very nice sketches and to think these are credit card size!

Passers-by must be amazed to watch you work on such a small scale and the color-kit is one cool one!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Mon Sep 26, 2011 12:23 pm

RajeshS wrote:Passers-by must be amazed to watch you work on such a small scale

I do get into a lot of conversations with strangers as I sketch. Talked a long time with a lady and her little boy sitting next to me on the subway last week as they flipped through my sketchbook. Great fun.
Russ
Custodian

Postby LarryMarshall » Tue Sep 27, 2011 4:03 am

Very interesting thread - timely too. These are great sketches, Russ. I've noted that two of these could fit on each sheet of a small Moleskine watercolor book. I bought one of those but decided that it was too small. Clearly not so.
Cheers --- Larry Marshall
http://www.larrydmarshall.com
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Next

Return to Sketch Gallery