Artist Cards -

Show your sketches

Re: Artist Cards -

Postby LarryMarshall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:37 pm

Russ wrote:I suppose a sketch shouldn't go several hours, but I have had a few go that long. I think the longest was 4 hours, and I have no idea why it took so long! Maybe because I was sitting down and in no hurry.

That's very interesting to hear. I've gotten the impression that you guys are producing these sketches in minutes. This is one of the many causes of my frustration. I produced the crude sketch of a paper coffee cup in a few minutes but anything beyond that takes me a long time. Maybe I'm wrong to think that I'm different in this regard.
Cheers --- Larry Marshall
http://www.larrydmarshall.com
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby LarryMarshall » Sun Nov 20, 2011 4:40 pm

Great sketches, Rose, and you're right about the xmas nonsense. The stores here have had all their xmas stuff out for a couple weeks. I saw that the tree vendors are already starting to set up too. Weird that.
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby leaparicio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:38 am

Spent two days sketching from 10am to 4pm as part of a local artists event . I managed to sketch a couple of ATCs in between all the 9x6's. This one is in Calle San Sebastián in Old San Juan.

Campechada7.jpg
Campechada7.jpg (415.54 KiB) Viewed 1945 times
leaparicio
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Mon Nov 21, 2011 4:46 am

Beautiful! A lot of atmosphere and space in a tiny card. I love the overhead wires.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Mon Nov 21, 2011 6:37 am

rose, leaparicio .. nice additions!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Russ » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:19 am

I love it!
Russ
Custodian

Postby LarryMarshall » Mon Nov 21, 2011 1:32 pm

10 to 4...no wonder you're so good at this. Love your ATC. Done all with a brush, right? Something to aspire to.
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby leaparicio » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks you all; Larry, it is not done entirely with a brush; there are a few pencil guidelines underneath the watercolor.

The two day event required artists to be present, and producing, all that time. Today I'm dead tired. My sketching sessions on location are way shorter than this.
leaparicio
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Mon Nov 21, 2011 2:29 pm

cyrille - nice new sketches - the city and the beach.
rose - the Santa one is cute!

leaparicio - Nice subject and great composition - you are extremely good at that! I always seem to find something new in the composition and it almost looks deliberate. The cables and the colors are great. This sketch looks really fast. Because I can see you didn't wait for some areas of paint to dry - causing some patches. For the time and speed this is awesome.

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 2:08 pm

Here are a few recent ones, all done on the train or the platform waiting for the train. The two on the sides are business card size and the one in the middle is about 3X5 inch, in a pocket size organizer (loose leaf binder) that is popular in Japan. It felt big after doing so many card size sketches! Since I always keep that organizer in my back pocket, it is just as convenient and fast to pull out as the cards. These took a few minutes to finish, with the pencil part probably under a minute each. The girl in the middle shifted the position of her legs after I made the first few rambling lines. Notice all three are absorbed in their phones. The trick to get anywhere in Tokyo in a hurry is to make sure you don't end up walking behind someone who is texting, but it's getting harder and harder to find people who are not texting.
Attachments
3_sketches.JPG
3_sketches.JPG (165.78 KiB) Viewed 1921 times
Russ
Custodian

Postby leaparicio » Tue Nov 22, 2011 3:50 pm

Awesome work as always Russ. If you ask me, I prefer pencil and watercolor, your work is absolutely gorgeous. A few questions... Do you color while standing as well? How much time to color each? Has anyone ever got bothered by you staring at them?
leaparicio
one of the regulars

Postby LarryMarshall » Tue Nov 22, 2011 9:57 pm

Those sketches are amazing, Russ. So are the clothes the women are wearing. I'm a luddite, I guess, as I see this 24/7 information transfer stuff is leading to societal collapse. I saw two girls, obviously friends, walking along the other day and both were texting. I wondered if they were texting each other :-)
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Tue Nov 22, 2011 10:15 pm

Lately I've drifted back to pencil and watercolor for these little quick sketches because it is so spontaneous and the results show that. Of course there are great effects one can get with a stroke of a brush, but pencil is faster and carefree. I go from one to the other.

The sketch in the middle was made on the subway coming home. I penciled it while waiting for the subway and then colored it after I got on the train, standing the whole time (it was fairly crowded). The coloring took about 3 minutes, I suppose.

Most of my subway sketch "models" are facing away from me so they never notice. Of course other people notice!

Larry, it does annoy me how people have become so absorbed in their texting. I'm waiting to see if two people walking and texting collide head on.
Russ
Custodian

Postby LarryMarshall » Wed Nov 23, 2011 2:53 am

Russ wrote:Larry, it does annoy me how people have become so absorbed in their texting. I'm waiting to see if two people walking and texting collide head on.

This summer, a guy walking in front of my house literally walked into a tree while he was on his cell phone.
LarryMarshall
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Wed Nov 23, 2011 5:51 am

Amazing work Russ - and a good thing you mentioned the approx time it took. Matthew's thread on time it takes is interesting and I timed a sketch I did yesterday of just BAG! It took me 30mins! Pen and then color.

I realized then that I have been probably under-estimating the time I take. For my more "complex" sketches I am beginning to think I take 1.5 to 2 hours and not just an hour I thought earlier.

It also means - I am enjoying sketching! I am so absorbed that I don't see time pass!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Gallery