Sketches from Andre

Show your sketches

Re: Sketches from Andre

Postby gpathy » Mon Mar 03, 2014 8:25 am

Andre interesting to know about the "Greatest Race" .. good luck with your novel and the adventure! Nice sketch capturing the mood!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:41 am

Thanks, Gpathy. I saw you at the races!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:54 am

I've always mixed oils on the canvas, and that's how I started with watercolors,mixing them on the paper, if at all. Of course, I can't be bothered to make an exact rendition -- even with a camera I always try for an angle or a crop that is different and interesting, so why should I do with art materials what a camera can do better? Instead I try for an impression, or sometimes just for what I think the scene would look like through rose-colored glasses. My part of Ireland isn't really soaked in sunshine like Province or the Costa del X, but there are many saturated greens all the same, and yellow stone walls. Of course, the river is brownish, not bright blue, but a little wishful thinking never comes amiss. The whole thing took less than ten minutes, standing up, in my little tin watercolor pochade box.

Andre Jute 2013. The Saturated Footpath. Watercolour on 230gr Hahnemuhle rough paper, 6x4in

As a sketch in its own right, I like it well enough to show to make a point. As a pochade, a study for an oil painting of any substantial size, it is a long way from enough. One would probably need extensive pencil studies of at least the figures and the layout. But I made it as sketch in its own right for the pure enjoyment of doing it, without ulterior motives.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby DaintyTreasures » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:05 am

wow you are all very experienced and knowledgeable about these things i really do love how people make their own kits very original and you all have amazing and colorful art with talent i will get there one day the problem with me i end up finding new things to try so am always a beginner oh well need to try new things :lol:
♥ Nothing is 'IMPOSSIBLE' the word itself says 'IM POSSIBLE '♥
DaintyTreasures
familiar face

Postby Andre Jute » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:07 pm

Thanks, Dainty Treasures.

My tools aid and abet what I want to do. Forget what the experts, including those here, tell you: what we know is only the beginning of your journey. Adapt freely.

Here's a concrete example: I have the normal "good" greens, like the phtalos, in my studio kit, which is hardly ever used because even inside I point out of my plein air paintboxes. In my plein air setup I have two convenience (i.e. chemically pre-mixed) greens, Hooker's Green and Sap Green, because those are colors I see every day all around me where I walk and cycle. Sap Green, in particular, is a green that travels extremely well, lending itself to being easily adjusted to virtually any green you can see in nature anywhere in the world. I got the Hooker's from my father-in-law, literally, in that I inherited his paintbox, and the Sap Green from Bruce McEvoy http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html whom I'm inclined to trust since we're both professionally in different ends of reprographics.

If you haven't yet discovered the cheap Japanese water brush, look into it. It liberated me. Bless Russ for introducing me to it.

Also, see how the paper I've chosen, the 230g rough that Hahnemuhle uses for their tin of postcards, adds a much desired texture, both surface and color, to my sketch without any extra effort from me or delay (for instance to wait for a cake of watercolor to dry so I can pick up drier paint for dry-brushing).
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby DaintyTreasures » Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:39 am

Andre Jute wrote:Thanks, Dainty Treasures.

My tools aid and abet what I want to do. Forget what the experts, including those here, tell you: what we know is only the beginning of your journey. Adapt freely.

Here's a concrete example: I have the normal "good" greens, like the phtalos, in my studio kit, which is hardly ever used because even inside I point out of my plein air paintboxes. In my plein air setup I have two convenience (i.e. chemically pre-mixed) greens, Hooker's Green and Sap Green, because those are colors I see every day all around me where I walk and cycle. Sap Green, in particular, is a green that travels extremely well, lending itself to being easily adjusted to virtually any green you can see in nature anywhere in the world. I got the Hooker's from my father-in-law, literally, in that I inherited his paintbox, and the Sap Green from Bruce McEvoy http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/water.html whom I'm inclined to trust since we're both professionally in different ends of reprographics.

If you haven't yet discovered the cheap Japanese water brush, look into it. It liberated me. Bless Russ for introducing me to it.

Also, see how the paper I've chosen, the 230g rough that Hahnemuhle uses for their tin of postcards, adds a much desired texture, both surface and color, to my sketch without any extra effort from me or delay (for instance to wait for a cake of watercolor to dry so I can pick up drier paint for dry-brushing).

thank you for your words of wisdom in time i will find my own style i just need to learn the basics of watercolour and that i have seen the waterbrush but deciding which one to get is hard because am worried that if a buy the cheap stuff i wont get good quality which you dont need to ruin your work
♥ Nothing is 'IMPOSSIBLE' the word itself says 'IM POSSIBLE '♥
DaintyTreasures
familiar face

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Mar 23, 2014 7:35 pm

Last year for my birthday one of the gifts I received was the last Winsor & Newton Bijou Box from Green & Stone in London. I never actually received the brush supposed to go with this box but would in any event have chucked it out to fit in four more half pans, new total twelve, because the standard eight is one short of my minimum palette and a more normal palette for me is twelve colors. I have one of those WN travel brushes that came with another WN kit, and it is uselessly small, except I suppose to people who want to paint the eyes on gnats. The Bijou Box, about the size of a visiting card, now lives in my Little Watercolor Pochade Tin, a pocketable traveling watercolor kit kept on the hall table by my glove chest to grab whenever I go out. Today I went out on my bike, and the first thing I saw that I wanted to sketch was a well kept hedge, the pride and joy of some farmer's wife.

My favorite bike, a Utopia Kranich, and my Little Watercolour Pochade Tin, caught in action on the ten minutes in which it was pleasant to stand painting outside on a miserably cold spring day in Ireland.

Andre Jute: The Hedge, 230g rough paper, 6x4in.

The photo shows that the Bijou Box is Winsor & Newton's most compact paintbox, about the size of a visiting card. The box itself isn't well made or finished, and will soon rust, starting at the bubbles and pinholes in the so-called "enamel"; with eight half pans of color it is grossly overpriced at 55 Euro, say about eighty US dollars. I'm not surprised that WN have stopped selling it if Fome cannot supply a better quality box.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Sun Mar 23, 2014 8:00 pm

I love the idea of biking with a little paint kit and stopping to paint when you decide you want to capture something interesting. Awesome looking bike and great little painting.
I setup my bike to do this last summer but other events prevented me from doing much sketch/biking.
You and Matthew are inspiring me to get my bike and supplies ready for warmer weather.
Last edited by mpainter on Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:43 am

Yes, very nice painting, Andre. I especially like the yellow glow on the middle tree and the fresh look of the colors in general. That's too bad about the Bijou. They look so elegant in pictures I always lusted after one. Or do you think the quality used to be better?
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:16 pm

Andre, that's a lovely painting!! beautiful balance of colors and brings in cheer!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:08 pm

Thank you all for your kind remarks.

Matthew, I imagine the Fome boxes were once of a better standard. The whole point about Winsor & Newton's heavy enameled boxes was longevity. You won't get longevity if the enamel has bubbles with pinholes in to give rust a good start in life. I think you'd do better with something like my bronze paintbox for 13 half pans, shown here on a Derwent watercolor sketchbook the same size as the smallest Moleskine but portrait-bound. It's the size of the smaller cigarette cases you can buy from China on Ebay for a few dollars.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Mar 31, 2014 11:25 pm

After reading Matthew's post about his measuring kit at viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1953&p=16936&#p16936, I bought an electronic version of one of his instruments, the ViewCatcher. As I am not the slightest interested in representational sketching, indeed much prefer the quick impression, I have no need for the physical varieties of tools in Matthew's kit. But the electronic version of the ViewCatcher, imaginatively called Digital Viewcather, does something useful beyond just isolating part of the ambient horizon. It can find the edges in an image, which is a huge aid in defining it, and indeed in composing it. It also give you an instant grey-scale value version of the composition, which under certain circumstances can be useful. The version I have works with the iPhone and iPad and is described at http://www.driventree.com/viewcatcher/ It costs a fiver. Mine was downloaded from Apple's AppStore at https://itunes.apple.com/app/viewcatcher/id327926221?mt Recommended for the edge finder and greyscale facilities.

Image Image Image
Last edited by Andre Jute on Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:48 pm

I have tried a similar App on my ipad. It is called Copyit. It is Made for the ipad. http://www.nigelgreensapps.com/copyit.php
It's nice to be able to easily see a composition in greyscale or through a grid. Very helpful if you do representational work. Another unique feature is called onion skinning. You can have a live overlay of your painting on a scene your trying to paint. Great for comparing values ,composition, etc.
But again probably best used for representational work.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Apr 01, 2014 5:32 pm

Thanks for the link to CopyIt.

I haven't tried Digital Viewcatcher on the iPad, though I suppose I could as my iPad is snugly encased in a Griffin Survivor case and could thus travel with me, but on the iPhone I found today that such programs are likely to be of little use in the field. I'd forgotten that in daylight outside you can hardly see the iPhone screen to take a photo, never mind doing tricky work. Too bad.

For postprocessing of photos I already have the professional programs like Photoshop, illustrator, etc, and skill with them. That's not a hint to new sketchers to buy them, though; they're for professional designers, not artists, and the learning curve is steep. A better program for sketchers who want to manipulate photographs and have a Mac (I don't know if it is on PCs) is Graphic Converter, which is open on my desktop all the time.

I have several programs that will do skinning, including SketchBook which I bought specifically to make art on mobile devices but have found too crude, probably because stylus technology hasn't caught up, even the Adonit Jot I bought for its crosshair accuracy being too hit and miss in practice, and awfully slow to achieve anything worthwhile by building it up digitally. On the other hand, it must be said that Stu who used to post digital art here did brilliant work, and another poster from Germany too, so digital art on the iPad at least must be possible for those with the patience to work it out.

On the whole nothing is as much fun as watercolors in a sketchbook, or as convenient to carry in relation to the speed of achieving something worthwhile, or as fast from eyeballing to art, and the rough and ready method of using the brush handle to find the edges of your composition, and the proportions of elements, is usually good enough for my sort of subjects, though of course not for those of you who like painting bridges with many trusses in sound perspective. But that sort of precision would only ruin my paintings...

André Jute: Bridge over Cooper River at Charleston, 2013, oil on canvas, 6x8in
Last edited by Andre Jute on Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:23 am

That oil is very charming!
gpathy
Custodian

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Gallery