Sketches from Andre

Show your sketches

Re: Sketches from Andre

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Aug 18, 2015 11:56 pm

For watercolors en plein air I normally use water brushes but for Father's Day I was given a set of Da Vinci 1503 Kolinsky Sable Travel Brushes. This rough sketch is the first time I had an opportunity to use them.

The viewpoint is up on the old railway track above the road between Bandon and Innishannon. I've been waiting for a sunshine day to block out an oil painting 16x12in of this scene but, as you can see, the Irish weather isn't being accommodating. So I decided that between showers I'd make a quick watercolour sketch in my little pochade tin and get the details and the oil at home in the studio.

Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Wed Aug 26, 2015 1:18 pm

He he.. I saw this sketch on your blog. Do you see now why I'm telling you that watercolours are always better? :wink:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Wed Aug 26, 2015 8:06 pm

Quicker, for sure. I just made it home before an absolutely torrential rain fell.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:03 am

So how do you like the brushes?
Good sketch - very savvy of you to frame such a distant piece of the vista.
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:23 am

mdmattin wrote:So how do you like the brushes?
Good sketch - very savvy of you to frame such a distant piece of the vista.

Thanks, Matthew. I worked on the painting at home to increase the contrast and see what the scene might look like in the autumn, when, by past experience, there could be a break long enough to get an oil blocked out. It's not too interesting as a sketch, but I developed a method of handling the mists we get here when I sometimes ride at dawn, that I've been meaning to paint.

I'm writing a review about the brushes but I have to wait until Mick, my designer, processes the photos. You'll be the first to know.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:52 pm

Hm hm.. where is the brushes' review coach?? :P :lol: Mick the designer delays unreasonably.. :P :P
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:33 am

Alitogata wrote:Hm hm.. where is the brushes' review coach?? :P :lol: Mick the designer delays unreasonably.. :P :P

It turned out that the interview in which I reviewed that da Vinci travel brush set (Da Vinci series 1503 set of numbers 4, 6 and 10) was promised to someone else, so I had to wait until he published it. See it at
Plein air watercolour tools of Andre Jute
Enjoy!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Sat Nov 21, 2015 3:15 pm

I really enjoyed that article on you and the tools your using Andre. It was a nice surprise when I was reading my blog aggregator and your photo and article came up. Keep up the good work.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:31 am

andre_jute_man_and_dog_in_the_mud_across_the_river_after_the_recent_storm_wc_8x6in_2015_800pxw.jpg
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Feb 01, 2016 4:42 am

This is a political watercolor, so, if you want to know what it is about, click here or on the image to be taken to my blog; there's also another version there, and some processing technicalities too.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Mon Feb 01, 2016 10:09 pm

Great art and great blog!
Russ
Custodian

Postby mdmattin » Sun Feb 28, 2016 4:45 am

Great painting - rather Bemelmansian and similarly evocative of Paris and the way of life it stands for. I often struggle with the question of how to express political messages in art - I think that depicting the beauty and fragility of our shared and threatened values is a good way, more effective than bombast. But biting satire and raw anger have their place as well.
What I'd really like to express artistically is an appeal to reason. Here in the States bombast and appeals to mindless hate are very loud, but I haven't given up hope that the ideals of seeking peaceful solutions to conflicts and attempting to understand the "other" are not totally dead. What image would give the rational majority the strength to turn the tide when "the best lack all conviction, while the worst are full of passionate intensity?"
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:41 am

Thank you, gentlemen.

"Rage, rage against the dying of the light." So much effort is expended on stifling debate and putting sacred cows beyond consideration that a political painting by definition takes as its main subject showing what is absent. I'm embarrassed by the intolerance of people who call themselves "liberals".
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Mar 18, 2016 3:24 am

Andre Jute: Statue of Jeff King’s Nash, killed on Iditarod 2016 by a drunken snowmobiler, emerges from the rock. Watercolor, octavo on cotton paper, March 2016

Every year this time I spend a couple of weeks at the Iditarod Trail Sled Dog Race, promoting my novel Iditarod a Novel of the Greatest Race on Earth -- if you want an ebook copy to read, or to read to schoolchildren in Russ's case, just ask.

This year a dog was killed and some injured by what appears to be a malicious snowmobiler. The painting is my response. Here's a link to the accompanying "Mount Rushmore text".
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Sat Mar 19, 2016 1:11 am

My comments on art are usually not so deep, but I can see some real intensity in this art!
Russ
Custodian

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Gallery