Rob K's recent sketches

Show your sketches

Re: Rob K's recent sketches

Postby Andre Jute » Mon May 04, 2015 10:30 pm

As Mike says, the composition is very strong. My eye was first taken by the water though, wondering if there are trout or salmon in it.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Tue May 05, 2015 5:35 am

Thanks Mike and Andre.
Andre, yes I definitely got caught up in the fun of painting transparent water. It kind of detracts from my intention of the composition. I initially aimed at using the semi-submerged branch in the foreground as an eye lead in to my focal point the scrub tree. But I think I spent to much time and detail in the foreground water.
I appreciate your input and keen eye.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby mjs » Tue May 05, 2015 3:57 pm

mpainter wrote:Andre, yes I definitely got caught up in the fun of painting transparent water. It kind of detracts from my intention of the composition. I initially aimed at using the semi-submerged branch in the foreground as an eye lead in to my focal point the scrub tree. But I think I spent to much time and detail in the foreground water.
I appreciate your input and keen eye.

This to me speaks of the difference between "sketching" and a more finished work. To me a sketch is unfinished but when in the process of drawing or painting we get caught up in the moment; well, it can transcend its humble intent.

I like the water, too. :)

Mike
mjs
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Wed May 06, 2015 1:42 am

Anyone turning up at the actual scene that Rob painted, unless he's a soldier or paranoid, would look first at the water, and only later notice the distant trees. More, it is right that the distance becomes vaguer, and the more vague the more moisture there is in the air. So I think that it is more than a matter of choice to handle it as Rob did: there are several impellers at work here. I don't know if the inner voice of the artist is genetic experience or just random good luck, but most often it is wise to listen to it.

I might add that in my own case, since my eyes aren't too hot for distances, I would have an additional reason for a romantic, mistily undefined distant background: I would see it that way anyway! I like Rob's backgrounds as much as his foregrounds, because they ring true with me.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Those challenging greens again

Postby mpainter » Wed May 13, 2015 6:57 pm

Seems like a few weeks ago and I was battling all the whites in my winter snow sketches and paintings.
The greens of spring are in full stride now and they are equally as challenging.
Visited a park in Battle Creek Michigan and did this little study of the Kalamazoo River in my pochade box.
Tough to get the lighting on this day as the sun and clouds alternated seemingly every 10 miniutes.
Acrylic 6x8 on cardboard.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Wed May 13, 2015 10:11 pm

That's very beautiful, Rob. I like the play of light and shadow on the water, and the composition is spot-on.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Fri May 15, 2015 2:06 am

Yes, this is exquisite - I love the counterpoint of the curves and horizontal lines in the bridges, branches, river banks and water. I can almost hear Baroque music playing. The little car trundling over the bridge is a nice touch. You handle the notoriously tricky greens well, too - lush but not Technicolor, and modulated by the limpid light. A lot going on for a 6 X 8 but it doesn't feel crowded.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Fri May 22, 2015 1:02 pm

Very beautiful, creates a good sense of space.
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Jeroen » Sat May 23, 2015 9:02 pm

Love the springing of spring. I like the abstractness of it and the colours :)
Jeroen
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:08 am

Thanks guys for the feedback. I really appreciate it.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:38 am

Here are a few recent ones while out and about.
In different states of finish. Some of these I never finish.
Just get bored and move on.
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:15 am

They look just fine to me as always. :) What is the average time you need to finish such paintings?
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mpainter » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:25 am

Thanks Alitogata. Normally I have between 1 to 2.5 hrs.
Because i often sketch and paint with a group of between 7 - 20 other people there is a lot of socializing in between.LOL
Rob K.
mpainter
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:57 am

That's a tremendous amount of detail for even two and a half hours. And even so, I suppose you must give a some time to composition and deciding which elements and details of the scene to leave out.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:55 pm

I know how it is like.. blah blah blah draw a line, more blah blah draw another one. :lol: But even though you are quite fast. Super.. ( don't say it anywhere though :lol: )
Alitogata
one of the regulars

PreviousNext

Return to Sketch Gallery