Alitogata's Sketches

Show your sketches

Alitogata's Sketches

Postby Alitogata » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:34 pm

Hi, I'm glad to join your very interesting forum.
I would like to show you some of my sketches.
But first I'll tell you some things about my self. I have studied painting and Graphic Arts and I mostly like to paint landscapes and portraits. I work with oils, watercolors, ink, pencil, acrylics and coal.
This summer I've started urban sketching which turned to be more rural sketching.
Here is some of my sketchings. You can see my paintings, ( some of them are in larger size than my sketches but with similar technique) on my blog which you can find it in my signature area.
Nice to find you ( sketching fora are very few).
Attachments
Sketch on Lagonisi Beach.JPG
Sketch on Lagonisi Beach
Sketch on Lagonisi Beach.JPG (330.8 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
P7246007.JPG
Sketch in my backyard
P7246007.JPG (56.1 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
IMG_0038.JPG
Sketch in Thymari Beach
IMG_0038.JPG (658.09 KiB) Viewed 4432 times
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Re: Alitogata's Sketches

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Jul 29, 2014 7:44 pm

That's striking work, Alitogata, and even more so on your netsite (go visit. folks, at http://art.freespace.gr/ -- definitely worth the effort). You live in a beautiful place.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:30 pm

Thank you for your good words. ( and you replied to my first post really fast- I log out and then I saw your post and login again :lol: ).

I'm very happy that I found a sketching forum like this, because I'm interested to improve my technique especially on fast sketching. I have worked a lot in the past en plein air, ( on location in other words) but I was working on full size paintings. Sketching is quite different, less details, smaller size of paper and demands to be really fast.. Faster than you can be when working with watercolours or acrylics. ( oils are the most "lazy" medium.. Plenty of time to finish a work). I realized that if you are not sketching fast enough when you want to sketch something you can very easily loose an interesting view, light conditions... the moment in other words.

How do you deal with this? ( sorry if the question have been asked before.. I haven't read lot of the forum threads yet)..

:)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:31 pm

Alitogata wrote:I realized that if you are not sketching fast enough when you want to sketch something you can very easily loose an interesting view, light conditions... the moment in other words.

How do you deal with this? ( sorry if the question have been asked before.. I haven't read lot of the forum threads yet)..
:)

I work in watercolors, acrylic, oil, pen and ink, sometimes in pencil. I always take several photographs when I start sketching and again when I finish. That way I can finish the painting at home. Here's a painting viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&start=45#p18807 where I knew the light would fail in a couple of hours, not to return to that condition for a year. You can see from my shadow bottom right how late in the autumn it was. I finished the final details from the photos many months later after the oil paint dried thoroughly, so as to preserve the purity of the colour experience, but still six months before the same light considtions would arise again. Normally, of course, it isn't that extreme: you can go back from day to day with not much shift in the light at the same hour.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Miatagrrl » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:12 am

Welcome, Alitogata! (And welcome to urban sketching.... that's my primary interest, too.) Wonderful paintings and sketches. I went out to your site, and you have a wide variety of beautiful work. I'll look forward to seeing more here!
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:40 pm

Hi Miatagrrrl . I have already read your blog and your work is amazing.

Well today I went for lunch to the Acropolis Museum terrace restaurant and here is what I've sketched there, before after and between lunch, coffee and lot of talking. The sketch is not finished, I have to add some details.. ( and I will upload a better image) I didn't have time to finish it as the Museum was about to close and we had to leave the restaurant.
Attachments
IMG_1538.JPG
Acropolis Museum terrace restaurant view.
IMG_1538.JPG (68.89 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Last edited by Alitogata on Sat Aug 02, 2014 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:49 pm

I've uploaded another painting on my blog, which is something between a painting and a sketch. ( that's why I don't show it here as it is a sketching and not a painting forum).

http://art.freespace.gr/?p=415

I copied it from a photograph that I found online . The photo is not that good. I 'm about to buy a scanner but I'm thinking that it would be better to buy one that can scan A3 papers. A friend of mine scanned for me one of my paintings and the final result is soooo much better than photographs.. More details and better rendering of actual colors.

Look how much better looks the painting that I've uploaded in the first post.
Attachments
GardenTable (scaner).jpg
Same as above scanned
GardenTable (scaner).jpg (885.52 KiB) Viewed 4396 times
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 am

Welcome to the Forum! Wonderful rich sketches!
You seem to be thoroughly into them deeply!
Rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:22 pm

Another two sketches.
In the second one I followed Andre Jute's advice, I made a pencil sketch and then I took some photos. But the final result I think is not that good as the photographs didn't helped me for the colors and generally cameras tend to distort the shape of objects.. I can sketch better than this but anyway.. it doesn't matter. It had fun anyway.. :)

ETA: These are scanned images. I tried my father's Hewlett Packard scanner and then I tried to bring the colors as close to the original with an Image Manipulation Program. But the Epson one that this friend of mine used, seems to be a better scanner but in any case scanners are better than cameras for making digital images of the paintings.
Attachments
veikou street 900 pxs.jpg
veikou street 900 pxs.jpg (1.58 MiB) Viewed 4327 times
48x17 sketch 900 px.jpg
48x17 sketch 900 px.jpg (99.19 KiB) Viewed 4327 times
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:30 pm

The way I like to put it is that my eye and mind distort better than the camera lens does...
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:46 pm

Lovely sketches, Alitogata! You clearly have the sketching spirit, and I hope you stick around and make friends here.

Like many sketchers I have mixed feelings about photos - as you point out they have problems with distortion and color, which of course can be fixed if you're willing to spend the time fussing with the image, but that's time that you could have spent sketching! On the other hand, they are are super useful for documenting the details that we don't have time to take in in a quick sketch. So I usually bring my camera and take refs when I'm out sketching, but am very cautious about using them, as it's easy to get caught up in copying and losing your original idea.
I recently tried to improve the distortion to some extent by figuring out what setting on my zoom lens corresponded to the normal human focal length and trying to remember to take refs at that length and then cropping to my scene, rather than zooming in too far, which distorts perspective, reducing the apparent difference in size between near and distant objects.
But in general, fine tuning our human sensibilities seems like a better investment.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Aug 03, 2014 3:01 am

Andre said it very well. The eyes and the mind distort better than cameras. Though I paint having as reference photographs, especially when I make portraits, when I'm sketching from photographs, these don't work for me with the same way.
I think that sketches loose their spontaneity, the same thing that happened ( I suppose, I'm not that sure), to my sketch above.

On the other hand photographs work opposite on portraits, because they give plenty of time to study the personality, through the face of a person, (something that you can't do if someone poses for you) and perhaps try to coprehence this person's attitude and feelings on the exact moment that the photo captured.
It happened to me many times in the past, to have someone posing for me, that from day to day had different attitude and feelings and the portraits in this case were not accurate ( I don't know how else to say it)
I suppose that this happened because I sensed and I was trying to transfer on my painting, a different face every day, even though the person that posed, had the same pose. One day was happy, the other day perhaps sad, the face had the same characteristics, the same wrinkles but not the same expression. The eyes said something different every single day. That doesn't help..

Mdmattin I don't think that sketches is all about details. Is all about impressions. That makes them amazing. Is like your eyes mind and hand become a camera that catches the moment, the movement, the light, the time.

Ups .. what you've said is very interesting.
Have you finally found out the lense's settings that correspond to human visual perception? I mean some kind of general rule or something??
I personally , thought I studied for a period of time photography, never managed to work right with digital cameras. These things distort everything, have no depth of field ( is that how is called- google translate here :lol: ) and digital images indeed reduce the size between near and distant objects because don't have accurate focal point. I think that digital cameras capture whole fields but not points. And what annoys me most with digital cameras, is that digital photographs can be manipulated that much afterwards..
I trying sometimes to find an interesting photo to paint something and most of images are photoshoped some how, with colors that I don't think that exist in real life.

May I ask a irrelevant question now? Where are the rest? I mean the other members. So far I have seen only four, Andre, Rajesh, you and Miatagrrrl. This forum has a load of interesting topics for discussion, where have all gone?
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sun Aug 03, 2014 4:14 am

That is an interesting insight about photos and portraits.
In my experience there are a lot of variables, including the quality of the photo and whether the person's face is the kind that comes across in photographs. For instance, a soft, rounded face is harder to draw from a photo than a hard, angular face - there are so many subtle shifts in light and lost and found edges that get wiped out in the photo. But some photos really catch a person's essence in the moment in a way that's impossible to pin down in a long sitting.

There is a formula for the focal length of a camera lens that approximates that of the human eye. For a 35mm camera it's about 50mm, for a digital camera with a smaller sensor like mine it's 27mm. This is an oversimplification, as there are so many other differences between the ways cameras and eyes work, but I'm hoping it will help make my refs a bit more accurate.

I think this site has a lot of viewers, but many of them go dormant for long periods because of busy lives or whatever. At any given time there are usually a handful of regular posters, which gives the feeling of a small circle of friends, and sometimes no one posts at all for a few days.
The posts of people who have long since moved on are still on the site and well worth looking at - some are really good artists or sparked off interesting discussions.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:55 pm

I too am a fan of cigarette case paintboxes, and those small mint tins for six half pans. I love yours: they look hard-used.

It is amazing to me how many of the members of a sketching forum are not overly interested in representation.

You can see on the index of posts how many views each post has: there are many, many lurkers for each contributor. But I think people have lives. I have my work (I'm a novelist) and even before I can sketch I must take a certain amount of exercise every day, so I combine sketching with riding my bicycle. Doesn't leave too much time to correspond here, except that I'm a very fast typist and by long practice don't have to think about how I express myself.

About portraits: I was a portraitist many years ago, but, while I made subjects sit, I didn't look at them much after deciding how I would paint them; they never discovered this because I would chatter away entertainingly; I just made them come back because if I didn't they thought somehow they weren't getting value for the quite substantial amount of money each paid (I painted captains of industry and their families, because I knew them already from my work in advertising). But I hated reference shots, unless they were taken with a lens around 50mm, which on the single lens reflexes of the day was the nearest match to my eyes, and then still not very near.

Today's digital cameras are all over the place, sometimes because of technicalities, sometimes because the people who design them are engineers rather than photographers. I love digital cameras for other reasons, but for practical purposes my iPhone takes a reference photo as good as any of the digital cameras I have, precisely because I've long since decided not to expect too much from a reference photo. I just use it as a mnemonic to an image filed and lost in my mind, a lightweight reminder to look inward for a certain pigeonhole.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:19 pm

In all my paintings and sketches I value as the most important thing the (first) impression. In portraits much more. It's all about moments, so I prefer to paint portraits from photographs and the rest "live". I don't know why but works better for me this way. After all the final result is the one that counts.
I suppose of course, that if cameras didn't exist I would obviously had practiced myself to be even faster on painting portraits in order to catch these moments that impress me so much.

I ride a bicycle too. In fact I have two. One trekking and one road bike. I don't have a car and I very often commute with the road bike and that is the reason why I have a very light painting kit. I don't carry that much weight on the road bike. A very small back bag that I keep there only the basics.
I worked as an editor in a cycling magazine. It seems that we have too many things in common. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Next

Return to Sketch Gallery