Recent Sketches

Show your sketches

Recent Sketches

Postby flummoxed » Fri Nov 18, 2016 5:11 am

Here are a few sketches after the lithograph experiments.

This is from Punch in 1856, this is titled 'The patent anti-garotte overcoat'. Their take on how the man is using his wife's crinoline as protective gear against street crime of garotting.

This is a study of Ed Hopper's illustration for Bruce's “What Trivial Doubts Can Do To You” published in Every Week in 1917.

A study of George Cruikshank's "The Streets of London: Morning" #etching from 1836.

A study of George Cruikshank's "The Streets of London: Morning" #etching from 1836.

This time around they are either all in Moleskine hardcover, either in a Rotring 0.1mm (with Bril Black ink) or in a Gama Skyline fountain pen (with Sheaffer Skrip Brown). Sorry about the quality and size of the images, I've just posted the images from my Instagram.
flummoxed
familiar face

Re: Recent Sketches

Postby mdmattin » Sat Nov 19, 2016 11:49 pm

Nice work! You are able to faithfully capture the styles of very different artists and eras.
What is the bottom one? You duplicated the Cruikshank caption above it. It looks so familiar - is it by Durer?
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby flummoxed » Sun Nov 20, 2016 4:36 pm

mdmattin wrote:Nice work! You are able to faithfully capture the styles of very different artists and eras.
What is the bottom one? You duplicated the Cruikshank caption above it. It looks so familiar - is it by Durer?
Matthew

Thanks Matthew, the problems with copy paste I guess, the bottom one is Baldung's Bewitched Groom from 1544-5.
flummoxed
familiar face

Postby RajeshS » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:07 am

Nice work!

This looks like a lot of detailed, well planned work.

flummoxed - did you use the pen directly? Or did you pencil the sketches first?

I ask because the perspective and the drawings themselves are pretty complex.

This reminded me of the "Trader Joe's" flyers we'd get in mail - back in San Diego. They had lovely ink drawings - I assume done by artists in a similar "old-time" fashion.

If "Trader Joe's" flyers are available online - take a look

Rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby flummoxed » Mon Nov 21, 2016 3:21 pm

Thanks Rajesh, I had outlines/layout in pencil for all of them. I then start out to slowly add details to most of them with pen-ink.

The Trader Joe's flyers seem lovely, I might actually give it a shot next.
flummoxed
familiar face

Postby flummoxed » Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:12 pm

Another piece from Punch, in 1876, where Disraeli was made an earl by Victoria in return for his support in making her Queen of India.

flummoxed
familiar face

Postby mdmattin » Tue Dec 27, 2016 4:19 am

Very cool. It's interesting to look back at the political cartoons of this era - some are still covered with textual labels, speech bubbles etc, while others, like this, are catching on to how much can be conveyed with image alone. I looked this one up and learned that it's by the great Sir John Tenniel, who did Alice in Wonderland.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:38 pm

Such stunning work. I love everything about these drawings. I really want to do more pen and ink work but for some reason I never seem to get the faces to come out like I want. I guess the boldness of the ink/ hatching scares me. When I see other people do it I am always in awe at how amazing it looks.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery