More snow painting - with video!

Show your sketches

More snow painting - with video!

Postby mdmattin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:53 am

We had a couple of good snowstorms last weekend. I tested out my latest invention, "Artistic-In-Tent," a portable shelter to cover my pochade box. It's made from an old file folder hanger and a large plastic bag with a hole cut out and clipped to the hanger frame.
The frame is secured to the box with C-clamps.

Artistic In Tent v 1 sm.jpg
Artistic In Tent v 1 sm.jpg (130.53 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Here's a video of my first foray into the flakes:

https://youtu.be/PT3nMurMwjI

I couldn't figure out how to embed a video - anybody know?

It worked fairly well but still let snow in through the access hole, (you can see me blowing it away in the video) so I added an umbrella and an adjustable plastic valence over the top.

Artists-inTent.jpg
Artists-inTent.jpg (124.69 KiB) Viewed 338 times

Here is a painting done using this setup.

climbing structure in snow sm.jpg
climbing structure in snow sm.jpg (211.27 KiB) Viewed 331 times

Matthew
Last edited by mdmattin on Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: More snow painting - with video!

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Feb 21, 2017 4:32 am

Such dedication to your art, Matthew!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Tue Feb 21, 2017 9:49 am

That is pretty genius. Now I feel wholly undedicated to my art. I'm taken a landscape painting class atm and since it's cold and rainyish outside all the time I can't be bothered to go paint what's really out there so I have been wimpishly working from photos. I cannot imagine painting while standing in a snowbank. Kudos to you. :wink:
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Re: More snow painting - with more flakes!

Postby mdmattin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:10 am

Thank you Andre and Moonshadowe! Although it's more a case of addiction than dedication.

The thing about snowstorms is - there are a lot of snowflakes involved! I decided the previously posted version of this painting didn't do the subject justice, so I added more flakes.

more flakes sm.jpg
more flakes sm.jpg (222.75 KiB) Viewed 268 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:31 pm

Unbelievable!! Not only I haven't seen that much snow in my life but I can't believe what you are painting while is snowing! :lol:

This is how you embed the video in your post. You don't copy the whole of the url but only the letters that go after the /video=

Code: Select all
[youtube]PT3nMurMwjI[/youtube]

Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:04 pm

WOW! Matthew - we know you ride the bike to paint outdoors, boat in lakes, and now this!

These must be unforgettable experiences - it's like getting into the canvas and the brush and the paint AND the subject - all as one entity and "doing" the painting !

You are what we call a "Guru" in India (similar to a Zen master - in the Japanese tradition). They "lose" themselves in the subject
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:08 am

RajeshS wrote:You are what we call a "Guru" in India (similar to a Zen master - in the Japanese tradition). They "lose" themselves in the subject

Guru! That makes my week!
There is something very meditative about being out in the snow - it's in constant motion and flux, but according to a consistent pattern - kind of like looking at moving water or foliage in the breeze.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Tue Apr 25, 2017 12:27 am

I haven't seen in my entire life that much snow. Especially in April. This year spring came a bit late, and the winter was a very cold one, it even snowed for some days, but not that much.
I assume that if if I tried to paint with watercolours in such a snowy weather my paints would freeze..I think that this is the reason why there are not that many snowy landscape watercolour paintings.. I've got it now.. :!: ha ha ha
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Apr 25, 2017 7:21 pm

Heh-heh. Yesterday I went out to where a corner of the old stables forms a sun trap to sketch lilies my wife said would soon die off. But even in the shelter the wind was pretty cold, so I came inside after sketching an outline. "The sacrifices I make for my art." Today -- in late April! -- there was a patch of hail. I can see the lilies through my study window, so now I'm working on them from behind glass. Eat your heart out, Matthew, I have the heating turned up.

BTW, congratulation on becoming a Guru.

Rajesh, I think where Matthew lives, the word would probably be "Master" or even the Dutch "Meister" for an outstanding craftsman or artist. But "Guru" is so much more expressive and exotic... Pity about the Californian connotations, but you can't have everything.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery