More gouache and watercolor sketches

Show your sketches

More gouache and watercolor sketches

Postby Moonshadowe » Mon Mar 06, 2017 5:40 pm

Here are a few sketches from this week, the last week of my landscape painting course. I'm sticking with the rice paper but have found I like the way it looks painted on the back side (rough side) of the paper. It just feels more textural or pulled together or something. The top two are painted on the back of the paper and the bottom is painted on the smooth front.
I have decided winter trees are my nemesis. I can do an ok-ish job of them in pencil, but when I try to paint them epic fail! Anyone have any suggestions for rendering them more realistically...or at least less childishly? I think my brush strokes are too fat and maybe not varied enough. Each branch seems to have only two forks, yet when I try to add more it seems I do more harm than good. They really vex me. When did they get so hard? I'm pretty sure as a kid trees were not this evil. :evil: I've just been debating in my head possibly doing them in diluted ink and dip pen. Maybe I will try that today.

Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Re: More gouache and watercolor sketches

Postby Andre Jute » Tue Mar 07, 2017 1:28 am

The trees in the last one look OK. A really good book with a short but brilliant 10 page section on trees is Ron Ranson's WATERCOLOUR PAINTING the Ron Ranson Technique, Blandford Press, Poole, Dorset, 1984 -- it's available on the net, I should think, or perhaps your library can get it for you from a library of record. Of course, he's a landscape painter, so virtually every painting in the book is a demonstration of how he does trees, but in the section starting on p72 he shows how to observe and then build the structure of various kinds of trees, which all have personalities, like people.

BTW, I've put an article on specialty brushes, including foliage brushes, in my thread. http://www.sketching.cc/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2163&p=21962#p21962 But you don't need to spend any money: a worn toothbrush is pretty good as a foliage brush.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Re: More gouache and watercolor sketches

Postby Moonshadowe » Tue Mar 07, 2017 9:06 am

Thank you I will check out both. :)
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery