Ink Pen Sketches

Show your sketches

Ink Pen Sketches

Postby Moonshadowe » Thu Mar 23, 2017 9:52 pm

I've been working on sketching in ink the the last week or so. Drawing in ink usually freaks me out a little because of the contrast of the black ink on white paper, and not being able to erase, but I think these came out ok. I like this cheap and cheerful gel pen. If you hold it at just the right angle and get the pressure right you can do a little shading with it. What do you guys think?

Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Re: Ink Pen Sketches

Postby Russ » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:08 pm

Very nice! I love the contrast of ink on paper!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Mar 24, 2017 4:05 am

The little girl's hair is first class. But you know what really impresses me: the cityscape. I just don't have the patience for that amount of detail. Besides the huge amount of work, nice perspective too.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:03 am

Thanks guys. The cityscape did take me some time yesterday. I think more because every time I reached for my sketchbook one of my cats decided to do a flying leap from anywhere in the room to my lap and demand attention. Also, it is my very first cityscape in ink and I'm new to ink drawing so all of those things contribute to extra work time. So that little project ended up soaking up the largest part of the day, but in truth it's not as difficult as you might suspect. I love little detailed things. I get this feeling when I'm working on stuff like that. It's hard to describe. I get the same feeling when I'm building miniatures. It just does something for me. Anywho, I expect subsequent drawings will take much less time, assuming my cats will leave me in peace.
On a side note, do you guys like comics? I'm doing a character design class atm, well supposed to be. Mostly it has my gears spinning about my graphic novel, so I have been doing more of my own personal sketches than work for the class. I would like to get some feedback on my ideas as I work on developing the aesthetic. Anyone into sci fi/ cyberpunk?
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Mar 25, 2017 12:16 am

Moonshadowe wrote:Anyone into sci fi/ cyberpunk?

There's a sic-fi dystopia novel by me, Dakota Franklin and Andrew McCoy available free on Amazon (click on the word "Amazon" for a copy); more information at my publishers: GAUNTLET RUN. Y'all are welcome to grab a copy. Also on free Apple, B&N, Kobo, Google, Smashwords, etc, if you'd rather get your copy from them.

I also wrote a hard sci-fi/environmental adventure novel, SINKHOLE, and I edited THE MEYERSCO HELIX, a biodisaster thriller by Andrew McCoy, bestsellers back in the 1980s.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sat Mar 25, 2017 6:50 am

Wow - the perspective and atmosphere is so well captured in the first. Somehow you feel as if this can't look better in any other - but the pen!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Sat Mar 25, 2017 10:17 am

Thank you Rajesh. I really love the look of pen and ink also but I find it very hard to capture my subjects with it. I'm really super pleased with my progress. Maybe there is hope yet. I was starting to be convinced my comic was going to have to be in pencil. :lol:
And thanks for that Andre. I look forward to reading it.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 12:51 am

Nice work! I like the textures you are able to get. Your people have character and presence. Are they real people? Drawn from imagination?
I do read SF and cyberpunk. I fell like the future predicted by Gibson, Sterling et al back in the '80s is pretty much our present reality, but not as cool.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:14 pm

These sketches are fantastic. The perspective of the first one is accurate ( it is a big deal to be able to draw properly a street in perspective. Most people can't do this).
The portraits and the face features are stunning too. Very nice work. Keep on sketching with ink . You have it! :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:43 am

Thanks all. The drawings are done from photos given as an assignment. Seems a lot of my coursework is from photos or movie stills. Hope to get some outdoor sketching in once the weather turns nice.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery