Another snow picture

Show your sketches

Another snow picture

Postby mdmattin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:20 am

We had a significant snowstorm March 14. My work was closed so I got to go out and paint in it.
I'm wearing my new snowshoes. So far, I haven't ventured far from home to paint in a snowstorm - to drive would be foolhardy, and I'm still a beginner on the snowshoes. But in near whiteout conditions, one place looks pretty much like another, so it's all good.

paintig in blizzard.jpg
paintig in blizzard.jpg (88.08 KiB) Viewed 248 times

I noticed that the falling snow picked up the colors of the surrounding scene, giving a slight color cast to the flakes in different parts of the scene. I tried to convey that with paint, varying the warmth and coolness of the colors. I'm using a very limited palette of venetian red, phthalo blue, and white.
As I painted I sang "Snowy, snowy day, paint your palette blue and gray..."

blizzard sm.jpg
blizzard sm.jpg (142.57 KiB) Viewed 248 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: Another snow picture

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:23 am

Dedication!
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Andre Jute wrote:Dedication!

That's it.. I agree! :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:18 pm

Thanks!
In related news, I have renamed my snowshoes, and will henceforth refer to them as "CondensedSkis."
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:47 am

Such a beautiful painting. Just one question. How do you keep your paint from freezing (or yourself)?
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Sun Apr 02, 2017 8:47 am

Beautiful painting and we get to "feel" or experience to a small extent - with the real photo you've posted
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Mon Apr 03, 2017 4:00 am

Thank you, Denise and Rajesh! The oil paint does freeze, or least gets too stiff to stick to the canvas, after a while, depending on the temperature. Even with the Artistic-In-Tent and umbrella, snow still gets into the paint, giving it a crunchy texture while frozen, and leaving an interesting mottled pattern when it melts out later. I think for this one I got about two hours of solid painting in, with time for setting up and packing on either side.
As for myself, I dress for the cold with thermal underwear, two pairs of thick socks, layers of clothing. My hands are the most exposed; for them I wear Nitrile gloves inside hybrid fingerless glove/mittens. I recent got an electronic hand warmer as well.
I noticed that when I'm actively painting, the cold doesn't bother me, but when i stop and start to pack up, I suddenly realize that I'm freezing! I'm working on ways to make packing up my gear as quick and doable with incipient frostbite as possible.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery