Digital attempts

Show your sketches

Digital attempts

Postby Russ » Mon Jun 12, 2017 1:00 am

As usual, I have been very silent here on the forum (although I visit at least once a day to read all the posts, and continue to register new members).

My excuse this time is that I have been re-learning how to draw. I got a tablet and digital pen, and quickly discovered that my attempts to draw with new digital tools were very clumsy!

I stayed at it, and got better, but these are hardly my best work. :)

There are discussions on digital art elsewhere on this forum which are are a bit deep and go over my head, but I have personally found that digital drawing is very convenient and versatile, and easy to share on the internet since there is nothing to photograph or scan. And you can fix everything that doesn't turn out right and even cheat in so many ways, including tracing over a digital photograph (I resisted the temptation -- at least with these examples).

But personally, I have found the digital drawing experience less than gratifying. And displaying my art from a device such as a phone or tablet is awkward. So I think I'll go back to paper and traditional tools.

But here are two attempts. One is an attempt to mimic my pencil and watercolor sketches and the other an attempt to make a digital ink drawing.

sketch_girl_on_train.jpg
digital "pencil and watercolor"
sketch_girl_on_train.jpg (182.96 KiB) Viewed 192 times

digitalinkgirl.png
digital "pen and ink" drawing
digitalinkgirl.png (232.19 KiB) Viewed 192 times
Russ
Custodian

Re: Digital attempts

Postby mdmattin » Mon Jun 12, 2017 5:30 am

Very interesting, Russ. The "pen and ink" drawing is particularly impressive. You managed to keep the lively calligraphic quality of your lines in electronic form using a very different tool.
The pencil and wash is also good, but as perhaps you imply in your written comment, the color washes don't quite work. I find that even pretty high end painting programs don't emulate watercolor that well - it seems flat and static compared to real thing.
I have to say, although I like doing computer graphics for all sorts of applications, when comes to my personal artwork I haven't quite warmed to it, either. There's something about the way it's an illusion of an illusion that makes it look more weird even as it tries to look more like natural media. It's trying to pass itself off not as an original work in its own right, but as a scan of a photo of a real work, complete with paper grain and implied light source.
Be that as it may, bravo to you for taking it on! Do you think you got any insights from the experience to take back to traditional media?

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:28 am

Yeah, they try real hard to reproduce the flow of watercolor, and the texture of pencil on rough paper. I feel funny about that since it's easy enough to just use the original tools to get those effects.

I came away thinking that if I really wanted to sketch or draw digitally, I might as well break free from the traditional results and really exploit what digital art can do that traditional tools can't. But right now I'm happy with the old style I get with pencil, pen and, brush when I sketch from life. For example, when I apply watercolor with a brush, I can assume that a saturated stroke will blend into a wet background in a certain way, helped by the force of gravity. I missed that when sketching with a tablet.

On the other hand, I think ink drawing is in a different category, and there's not much difference between a real ink drawing and a digital ink drawing (assuming I can master the digital tools eventually). So I may keep up with digital ink drawing. It's nice to be able to zoom in rather than put my face real close to the paper with high power glasses. Saves my neck and back muscles, too!
Russ
Custodian

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:12 pm

These sketches look decent Russ ( the other you make on paper look way better). In any case it is visible that you invested some time to get used sketching on a screen.

Personally I don't like digital sketches and art even if someone knows how to take the best from all these painting applications. I consider digital art as not having a real substance and that because the existence of the/any digital art depends on two things: If the device you use works properly and if the device's battery has enough power to support the device. The first is a matter of proper manufacturing and the second a matter of having enough energy to supply the device.

If for any reason the device "denies" to turn on, your digital art will follow its fate.

So you have to print whatever you make this way in order to have a hard copy of your art. This needs another device that has to work equally well with the first. ( many devices here).

But if at the end of the process the concept is to have the art on a real existing, real life surface, and not only on a screen, then I can't see any good reason why not to create the art on this surface from the very beginning and not even trouble yourself to learn the hows and abouts of sketching and painting on a screen..

That is how I think it. :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:33 pm

A fellow who worked with me described what the Mac could be trusted to do: "It's like a studio apprentice who cuts the overlay film to pattern for you. You have to put in your own ragged edge."

Brownie points for being in advance of the curve, Russ, and putting in the time to achieve a credible result. But we're still some time and space and app development away from being able to say with confidence, "I can't tell which of those is computer art, and which is human."
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:52 pm

It is not the application itself that makes the art Andre. So there is not such thing as computer art and human art. The human is always behind the art.

The digital painting application is just a not so responsive medium for expressing your artistry and creativity. But if you can have perfect and accurate, according to your creative intentions, results with traditional mediums what is the point to invest money in the first place to buy the proper devices and then time, to learn how to use the related applications?
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:55 pm

We tend to lose the point and the plot with all these digital blikblikia.. ( slag Greek word to describe all these digital stuff that in the first days of their invention used to make a lot of blik blik sounds :lol: :lol: So they were named ironically blikblikia ).

Here is one of mine... :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: ha ha haaaaaaa

Blibliki.jpg
Blibliki.jpg (403.08 KiB) Viewed 171 times
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:25 pm

It's kinda cool how they don't look all that digital. Looks more like ink. Nicely done.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery