June 2017 sketches

Show your sketches

June 2017 sketches

Postby Moonshadowe » Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:47 pm

Hi all. I haven't posted in a while but I have been lurking the forum from time to time. I moved a few months back and took a few weeks off my daily sketching and when I got back to it I found I had a big fat artist block I had to overcome.
Skulls and film stills are kinda my go to thing when I can't think of anything else to draw. Here is a sampler of the stuff I have been working on in the past month or so. I am trying to improve my pen and ink/ line and wash work. Apologies for the last two. They are photos of my sketchbook because my scanner was on the fritz. Hope you all are well.

Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Re: June 2017 sketches

Postby Andre Jute » Thu Jun 29, 2017 10:28 pm

I love these. Maybe you should be bored and idealess more often! I don't care that the bottom two are photographed; I publish camerashots of pages all the time; I'd have to go up to the loft and find a scanner and install it to use it. Those bottom two are really nice meaningful images: the moment I saw them I thought of Edgar Allan Poe, though he actually looked pretty prissy, and I'm not sure at all that those two images aren't given a certain vintage rectitude by the slightly grungier repro of the camera than the scanner. Great to have you back.

PS Have you explained yet what the red Japanese stamp says?
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:10 pm

Thank you for the kind words, Andre. The chop/stamp are the Chinese symbols for Moonshadowe (moon shadow). I'm quite proud to finally have one. I've been wanting that thing for almost a decade, but are hard to find in the western world. Thankfully there has been a major boom in Chinese online shopping. I finally found a shop that offered custom made hand carved chops at a reasonable price and treated myself to a little gift. 8)
As for the drawing I struggle every day to come up with ideas about what to draw. I just recently spent a couple of weeks brainstorming a year's worth of art prompts for fantasy/sci fi/ horror/noir genres for my sketchbooking. I plan to share them on my new blog if anyone is interested~ http://www.strangeeden.com. The site is still under construction in places but I have the first month's prompts up on the blog.
Moonshadowe
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:48 pm

Grand of you to share your prompts. I never have artist's block either as a painter or a writer. I just never start work until the thing is settled in my mind, so if I sit with my feet up watching the wind blow the eucalyptus outside my study and studio window, I'm not blocked, I'm working up to working.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery