Pennsylvania

Show your sketches

Pennsylvania

Postby mdmattin » Sun Aug 13, 2017 12:18 am

Did the annual family reunion in Pennsylvania. My Bro-in-law Victor took this of me at work

setup with self.jpg
setup with self.jpg (174.49 KiB) Viewed 240 times

on this:

Trees and storm clouds.jpg
Trees and storm clouds.jpg (206.7 KiB) Viewed 240 times

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: Pennsylvania

Postby Rebecca » Wed Aug 16, 2017 1:22 am

Now that is an interesting painting.
I like how you counteracted the converging eye-diverting vertices of the lower left corner with a vegetative vignette, and reflected that darkening on the right with the road and berm plants. The sharp high contrast along the top edge of the light green foreground grabs attention in a good way, and although it causes billboarding (flattens the hill) perhaps too much, it successfully separates and anchors the busy, well choreographed darker volumes of the foliage above. Due to the flattened undefined grassy foreground mass, this painting has one foot in the abstract camp and the other in the traditional landscape camp. If this was a larger more thoroughly explored painting, I would want to see more work reconciling the two. As an oil sketch, this tension teases at all possibilities, one of the reasons I enjoy sketches so much.
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Fri Aug 18, 2017 4:38 am

Hey Rebecca! Great to hear from you, and with such insights about my painting! I was mostly going for the gestalt of the trees and the stormy sky, and picked up on little touches like using the road to frame the bottom as I went along. Speaking of the berm plants, there was a town worker mowing farther up the road, and at one point a car drove up bearing the town facilities manager, who started bantering with me about "needing a permit to paint." Which was very jolly, but when he left I realized the worker had mowed down those roadside plants I had been in the middle of painting. I figure he was worried that I might freak out about it, and called his boss to created a diversion.
How's life in the desert?

Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:28 pm

We haven't moved to the desert yet, but I've been spending a good deal of time fixing the house there. In an earlier post when I announced the coming move, I mentioned how Nature would come to my door. I was wrong. Nature came through my door. All kinds of Nature. Much of it shriek-worthy. Barring the occasional threshold crossings, the house mainly operates as an inside out terrarium. I get to watch an incredibly dramatic Nature and light show every day. The Sonoran desert is like another planet. The people are amazing, too. I love it! I've been too busy to sketch, but the craving is killing me. We expect to be moved and settled before winter is underway -- in other words, soon! At some point soon, I'll be posting sketches from the desert. Meanwhile, I'm watching the conversations here (and hoping the discussion will pick up again).

Here's one of my new pals, the Desert Iguana. This engaging species is quite curious. After first retreating, it seems compelled to come back out to watch and flirt with its watchers. This may be because its most active time of the day is when temperatures reach a nice safe 107º -- too hot for their natural predators. Yes, I went out to visit these charming animals in searing mid-day heat.

HappyIguana.jpg
HappyIguana.jpg (163.38 KiB) Viewed 198 times
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:16 am

Your iguana is posing: his body language says, "Anyone for tennis."
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Rebecca » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:58 pm

mdmattin wrote:...I was mostly going for the gestalt of the trees and the stormy sky, and picked up on little touches like using the road to frame the bottom as I went along...

The trees are splendid. Great depth, bramble and overall gesture. I get the stormy sky, but the road does not support it. If clouds are directly above, there should be no blue influence. The gray asphalt, which seems a bit blue-ish, needs to be infused with the same golden light as in the fore hill. Then again, maybe I should hold my tongue. Each place has its own light. This may perfectly capture the moment. Yet, having never been to that region, when I was 19, I saw an Andrew Wyeth show where I was stricken by the very feel of the air captured in his paintings. How could that be possible? "Distant Thunder" had such a profound impact, I still remember its title, so I just looked it up. No image on the Internet can possibly convey its magic... Could the same be true of this sketch? ;-)

Andre, When I look at that picture, I get a desert species of leprechaun. Oh, and we get lots of rainbows that anchor in the sand. Hmm.
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:39 am

Pretty flattering to be compared to Wyeth. Congratulations again, Matthew.

Rebecca wrote:Andre, When I look at that picture, I get a desert species of leprechaun.

THE GREAT SCIENTIFIC LEPRECHAUN HUNT part 1
THE GREAT SCIENTIFIC LEPRECHAUN HUNT part 2

Rebecca wrote:Oh, and we get lots of rainbows that anchor in the sand. Hmm.

We'll look forward to your visuals when you're settled in.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Return to Sketch Gallery