Just wanted to say hello

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

Just wanted to say hello

Postby Moonshadowe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:57 am

Hello everyone. My name is Denise. I am an artist from the Netherlands. I am taking some art courses trying to improve my skills and get into the habit of drawing every day. So far I am on a 5 month streak- yay me! I work mostly in pencil and water media but I really want to improve my pen and ink. I have a goal to fill three sketchbooks this year. Looking forward to getting to know all of you.
Moonshadowe
familiar face

Re: Just wanted to say hello

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:26 am

Welcome Denise. Show us something you drew.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Mon Feb 20, 2017 1:04 pm

Hi Denise -

5 month streak ! Awesome.

Andre Jute wrote:Show us something you drew.

Yes - we'd love to see!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Moonshadowe » Mon Feb 20, 2017 8:23 pm

Hi all. I haven't read the posting guidelines for images yet so I will just post a few links for you to see some of my art. It actually reminded me I haven't posted anything on my personal site for some weeks now because I have been so busy with this painting class. I made great progress up front but now I seem to have hit a skill plateau which I am trying to get over. You know how it is when you make a leap and a bound and then suddenly you think "Wow I was better last week, what am I doing wrong?" Well it's one of those times. In my defense I had a bit of flu week before last so I am going to lay blame on that. :lol: Here is my Flickr page to see some of my better stuff and school projects. Not all are sketches but you get the idea. https://www.flickr.com/photos/132730987@N08/ . Here is my personal website. My blog has more of the down and dirty stuff with a few progress checks since the newest start of my journey in October. http://www.strangeeden.com

My most ultimate goal is to attempt the monumental task of making a graphic novel. I actually started on this project ages ago (8 or 10 years by now) and got frustrated and gave up on a few occasions. This time though I actually finished my script, which I thought would be the hardest part. Then I dusted off my sketchbook and realized I really have a long way to go before I can pull off what I want to pull off. So I enrolled in an online art school called Schoolism. Not really sure when I am going to get back to the original project. I was hoping to have started on it by now but I decided I want to do it traditionally and not digitally like I originally imagined. So I have to learn how to paint and it's harder than I thought it would be. James Gurney makes it look easy! Well I am getting there, slowly but surely. Sometimes I do something and I say to myself "If I can do everything I want to do at this level I am good to go." So I guess I just have to get more consistent and have less good weeks and bad weeks. Does anyone else have that and how do you overcome it? Is this a practice thing or am I just being a control freak? Yes I am prone to being a perfectionist spaz, but I am trying to get more zen. I meditate a lot these days. ha! So thanks for listening to my rambling post. Looking forward to hearing back from you. Thoughts, impressions, suggestions welcome. Oh and not sure if I mentioned it but most of the stuff I am doing, will do is in gouache and watercolor. I hope to add some pen and ink work into the mix,or at least experiment with combining all those media. Anywho that's it for now. :)
Moonshadowe
familiar face

Return to Non-sketch Talk