Our annular eclipse

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

Our annular eclipse

Postby Rebecca » Tue May 22, 2012 8:40 am

We got to see a solar eclipse that covered 85% of the sun yesterday. The dappled light from trees was absolutely fascinating!
Here are some shots of what we saw:

Eclipse_1.jpg
Eclipse_1.jpg (58.22 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

Eclipse_3.jpg
Eclipse_3.jpg (67.25 KiB) Viewed 2003 times

...and here is my cast shadow with weird penumbras all about:

Eclipse_2.jpg
Eclipse_2.jpg (12.22 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Re: Our annular eclipse

Postby RajeshS » Tue May 22, 2012 5:56 pm

AMAZING!!!!

:) :) And your pic - that's a good one!

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Wed May 23, 2012 3:36 am

Oh man, I love eclipses! We should institute a global project to launch a second moon so we could have them more often.
I am sure you have noticed the phenomenon of local "eclipses" when the sun is partially occluded by a cloud or other object. It doesn't create the multiple projected suns, but it does cast that eerie light, with unnaturally hard shadow edges; I assume because the sun's rays are being crudely focused, like a pinhole camera. Of course, there's nothing like the real thing.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Wed May 23, 2012 5:31 am

nice pictures Rebecca!
I remember the last time we had a total eclipse in India, I was ready with a pinhole and everything.. as well as a little telescope with a filter. and while I was at it, I noticed the patterns caused by the tiny gaps in the trees just like you had posted, and realized you really don't need much tools to see this spectacle.
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Rebecca » Wed May 23, 2012 7:49 am

Matthew, Yes, those beams of tree filtered light focus like thousands of pinhole cameras... for those who don't already know this, dappled light is always sun shaped -- it's those pesky ellipses again!
gpathy, several neighbors had their gear set up as you describe, and apparently failed to notice the projected eclipses on the ground and walls all around us. I brought a large sheet of white plastic and angled it perpendicular to the sun's rays to maximize the beautiful patterns from the dappled light -- they looked up from their rigs and yelled out in excitement. :D
Rebecca
Rebecca
one of the regulars

Return to Non-sketch Talk