Improving handwriting and 'calligraphy'

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

Improving handwriting and 'calligraphy'

Postby RajeshS » Wed May 08, 2013 5:52 am

:) Is this my first non sketch post?

I want to improve my handwriting. I don't think I will go anywhere near doing calligraphy - just improving my handwriting and "penmanship" may be the correct term - am not very sure.

I looked on Amazon to buy a book to get started. I found these two:

1. Write Now: The Complete Program For Better Handwriting - by Barbara Getty and Inga Dubay
2. The Calligrapher's Bible: 100 Complete Alphabets and How to Draw Them by David Harris

I then happened to remember Russ' book - he mentioned about penmanship!!! I rushed there and found the first on his list of recommended books

Does any one have any view on which one to buy if I had to buy just one :) I have to buy these in US and will have a cousin get them over when he is travelling.

rajesh
Last edited by RajeshS on Wed May 08, 2013 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Re: Improving handwriting and 'calligraphy'

Postby Russ » Wed May 08, 2013 7:54 am

Glad you found my list. Write Now gives you instructions on how to write in one particular style which is Italic Cursive (as I recall; can't find the book since that big earthquake happened...). You probably only need to know one style (not a hundred!) -- and then modify it to make it your own.

The way your sketching style has skyrocketed into amazing art, I look forward to see the same miracle happen with your handwriting!
Russ
Custodian

Postby RajeshS » Wed May 08, 2013 9:34 am

:) You are kind Russ.

Thank you for your encouragement.

Yes I read a little about writing and learnt exactly what you say -
Russ wrote:You probably only need to know one style (not a hundred!) -- and then modify it to make it your own

I think that book Write Now should be good enough to improve and then of course looking at the many fonts one can always pick a preferred font.

Thanks - rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Miatagrrl » Thu May 09, 2013 4:57 am

Rajesh, do you have an italic nib for one of your pens? I got one for my Lamy a while back, on a whim, thinking it might be interesting to sketch with. It wasn't that great for that purpose (at least, not the way I was using it), but I decided to use it as a writing pen, and I've been surprised by how much better my handwriting looks without much effort.
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Fri Jun 14, 2013 4:57 am

My apologies Tina - I saw your message long time ago and how rude of me not responding :(

My home PC was not working and I was a little dis-organized for some time

Well yes I do. My interest in Calligraphy was kindled and I decided to read about it a little. I got the book Russ suggested ' Write Now'. With that I had ordered a Pilot Parallel pen after reading the very positive reviews

For the last couple of weeks I've been reading the book and using the pen to begin understanding Calligraphy.

So yes the "italic" nib is a revealation!!! Now that I am learning how to use it - it does take your writing up a notch.

Of course I am just beginning - but I'll post some samples as part of my June month batch.

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mike » Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:44 pm

Yes I can really appreciate calligraphy but haven't done it myself, I especially like copperplate. Here is a link to a interesting calligraphy site if you haven't seen it http://www.iampeth.com/lessons_copperplate.php
mike
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Mon Jul 22, 2013 6:16 am

Thanks Mike. Calligraphy is an art in itself - deserving years of dedication to even get somewhere.

This looks like and awesome resource. I'm just collecting these as a source of inspiration

At this moment I just am looking at the basics and to add a touch of dash on things like "invitation" cards, greeting cards etc.

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Return to Non-sketch Talk