Paintings (not sketches)

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

Re: Paintings (not sketches)

Postby Miatagrrl » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:01 am

These are beautiful, Rajesh! Are these done straight to watercolor without a line drawing first? Even though you consider them paintings and not sketches (and I do see a difference, though I'm not sure I can articulate it), you have still retained a freshness similar to your sketches. If I ever called anything a "painting," I'm sure I would overwork it to death! :-) But you have not. Thank you for sharing these!
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:11 am

Thank you Russ, Andre, Luis! Glad you liked them

Hi Tina: Thanks. Whatever made you think I am so good!!!! I can't draw a straight line with a brush! I'd never be able to do any of this with a brush directly at all

These all have pencil drawings below - and then watercolored.

The 2nd part I'd agree. I think sketching is teaching me a lot about drawing and coloring - which I will be using in the paintings

BTW - I hadn't replied to your comment in your post about how long I was doing sketching. Yes I am sketching from life for about little over 2 years - BUT - have painted before.

I'd put up this post as a "baseline" of where I was before beginning to sketch. So I do have lot of experience of drawing/painting from photographs in the past
http://www.sketching.cc/forum3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1671&p=10701#p10701
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Miatagrrl » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:21 am

I don't think I ever saw these "baseline" paintings before. It's so interesting to see your work come full circle: From paintings to sketches back to paintings. Years ago (before I ever did any myself and never really gave it much thought), I used to think "sketching" was the amateur thing that came before "painting" or anything a professional would do. Then after I started sketching myself, I met some highly accomplished watercolor and even oil painters who started urban sketching because they were "too tight" and wanted to loosen up. And when I saw examples of both, I always thought the sketches were much fresher and had such a special quality that the paintings lacked. I assume that the goal was to get back some of the freshness by sketching and then put it back into the paintings. I guess one can learn something from each and apply it to the other, and both improve (ideally). I'm obviously biased here, but sketching always seems like fun, while painting seems more like work! :-)
Miatagrrl
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Thu Dec 26, 2013 7:18 am

Miatagrrl wrote:who started urban sketching because they were "too tight" and wanted to loosen up
Ask Luis!!

Well I was very tight in my paintings but I came to sketching because of its fast and carefree angles. It allowed me to get back to drawing and coloring because it just needed minutes!

But I think you said it best - they can help each other big time and I can see my painting changing because of the sketching

About the fun bit - I bet everyone will say it is personal. But I am with you too :) I just love sketching. It is a lot of fun. Painting is a little work but it also gives that kind of joy. I guess if you had to compare it is like in sports - practice games in tennis would be fun, carefree - but a tournament will be work - and in the end if you come out a winner there is a longer lasting joy in it

And just like you said - both would help each other :)

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Fri Jan 17, 2014 4:13 pm

These are real good!
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Janmew » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:43 pm

Oh I adore your paintings, Rajesh. I agree, I like those first two much better than the photographs. They are ALL very good though. I am intrigued with the polar bear, the colours in it might seem odd to some, but they are perfect and the painting is beautiful.
Janmew
one of the regulars

Postby DaintyTreasures » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:09 am

I have to agree that your paintings are so much better than the photograph because the photo looks dull but your painting has a colorful,lively happy fun written all over it and its very beautifully painted
♥ Nothing is 'IMPOSSIBLE' the word itself says 'IM POSSIBLE '♥
DaintyTreasures
familiar face

Postby RajeshS » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:22 am

Oh thank you! Jan, GS and DaintyTreasures

Appreciate it - I should infact load some recent paintings - just to give an idea of the progress if any

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby DaintyTreasures » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:39 am

RajeshS wrote:Oh thank you! Jan, GS and DaintyTreasures

Appreciate it - I should infact load some recent paintings - just to give an idea of the progress if any

rajesh

oh yay carn't wait to see some more beautiful works of art
♥ Nothing is 'IMPOSSIBLE' the word itself says 'IM POSSIBLE '♥
DaintyTreasures
familiar face

Postby RajeshS » Sun May 18, 2014 5:28 pm

Once again - sorry for defying the forum "purpose" - these are paintings from photographs and not sketches

But I build my skills on the 2-3 years of sketching and watercolor I've been doing so am posting these

Bullock cart race V2 - small.jpg
Bullock cart race V2 - small.jpg (59.28 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

Wada street-small.jpg
Wada street-small.jpg (46.53 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

Blue bird 20-Apr-2014 V 2-small.jpg
Blue bird 20-Apr-2014 V 2-small.jpg (144.81 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

Kittens-03-May-2014-small.jpg
Kittens-03-May-2014-small.jpg (31.2 KiB) Viewed 1506 times
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Sun May 18, 2014 7:59 pm

I don't see how you can get the fine action sketch of the runaway oxen without a photograph, Rajesh. Nobody's eyes are that quick. There's the famous case of running horses never being painted correctly until the arrival of photography when the sequence of feet was at last revealed to the human eye.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Sun May 18, 2014 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Russ » Sun May 18, 2014 10:14 pm

Your watercolor paintings are amazing!
Russ
Custodian

Postby mike » Mon May 19, 2014 10:46 pm

Yep that's very special work Rajesh. After all, let's not get too purist about using photo's, they changed the face & whole outlook of art for ever.
BUT as I'm absolutely sure you already fully appreciate, direct sketching directly from life is the very font spring of capturing life itself within a drawing , if an artist gets too hung up in photo's it is to the detriment of lively expression, however a purist minded sketcher would surely be missing a trick if he were not to explore the use of photo's .
For me personally , there is a subtle middle path, a line to be drawn between what you know from photo's & what can be observed from direct experience within a moment. Sketching in the 21st century has got a lot more complicated whether you like it or not !
mike
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Tue May 20, 2014 3:44 am

Thank you Russ, Andre and Mike

I revere and respect this forum - like a holy place :)

Well I am not pretending that this is sketching at all and hence put it in Non Sketch talk. Just that I am inspired by artists like David Rankin who sketch and paint and how he uses sketching as a "tool" of development

I also feel its like a feedback loop - while sketching improved my painting - I think elements of painting (composition especially) and elements of drawing from pictures (knowledge gained about the subject - like Andre pointed out - animal leg movement, balance etc) - are going to help and improve my sketching

Sketching has become a part of me now - its a daily habit

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby e.larsen » Tue May 20, 2014 4:34 pm

Rajesh,

I love all the experimentation and control. Great mix of tight/loose.
my sketching blog is at: http://www.etagelarsen.com/blog/
e.larsen
one of the regulars

PreviousNext

Return to Non-sketch Talk