Woodblock "sketch"

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

Woodblock "sketch"

Postby rose » Wed Jun 03, 2015 12:03 am

I stay fascinated with simple business card size sketches (reduced a little further here). I decided to experiment with woodblock prints in the same size format, attempting to keep a spontaneous feel in a much more planned format. These are a few of the attempts, including some attempt at humor.
Attachments
image.jpg
Two birds, one stone
image.jpg (6.25 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
image.jpg
Oofuroshiki wo hirogete, spread the big cloth
image.jpg (6.88 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
image.jpg
Amaterasu, the sun goddess
image.jpg (5.38 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
image.jpg
Happy
image.jpg (7.09 KiB) Viewed 1304 times
rose
one of the regulars

Re: Woodblock "sketch"

Postby Alitogata » Fri Jun 05, 2015 12:52 pm

Interesting, different but beautiful. Do you cut your self the wood for making the prints or you buy ready made stamps and then you add your own things? ( I'm asking because I don't know how this is done).
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby rose » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:35 pm

I carve from wood, typically a separate piece of wood for each color. You can find many instructions on line. Since I learned in Japan, I tend to use the techniques common there. I have made large ones, taking weeks. These small ones can be done in a few days (not full time) and are fun. I can, as I did with several here, play with concepts and phrases.

Change that to a few hours over several days to complete one of these.
rose
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:20 am

Aha, like lino-cut prints, only more difficult. Must be quite tricky to get a thin even outline like in the sun goddess.

My grandfather carved relief images in wood, picture and frame all in one, three dimensional, but I have no idea how he did it as he died before I was born.
Last edited by Andre Jute on Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:36 am

I suppose that you use some kind of soft wood, I mean not that hard to curve it eh? :)
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby rose » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:31 am

The hardness depends on what is available and the application. I am carving a piece of fine grained cherry now. It is hard but will last a long time. For short print runs, a relatively soft wood is okay. Too soft, however, and it won't hold the lines for long. If you want to give it a try, you can read about the various woods used online and pick one that is suitable for your use at an acceptable price in your area. You can usually find suitable scraps for free if you work on postcard or smaller sizes. Plywood with a suitable veneer works well too.

Or do a similar thing with linoleum tiles, as mentioned in a post above. Erasers are also used. In Japan a number of specialty products exist as wood substitutes with various advantages/disadvantages. I enjoy the wood. And it recycles well.

In old days in Japan clay was used for tiles to print short runs of broadsheets/newspaper. I haven't tried to master the mixing of that clay.
rose
one of the regulars

Postby Alitogata » Mon Jun 08, 2015 1:00 pm

The only thing I have ever carve was linoleum. But wood sound more compact and doesn't smell bad like linoleum. Though I'm not sure if I would have strength on my hands to carve on wood.
But imagine how beautiful would be to have some parts of a watercolor printed on paper.
Anyway it look like a very promising technique.
Please post more of these sketches but a little bigger if you don't mind in order to see better any details.
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Return to Non-sketch Talk