The math behind Hor:ratio

Discuss all topics unrelated to sketching, including the forum itself

The math behind Hor:ratio

Postby mdmattin » Mon Jun 15, 2015 10:46 pm

Some of you old timers may recall my posts concerning composition and proportion, and introducing my gadget for analyzing and creating proportionally specific rectangles, Hor:ratio. I had done some research with the intent of improving my own compositional skills, and learned about the "armature of the rectangle," shown below, that enables the division of a rectangle into simple fractions, such as halves, thirds, quarters, and sixths. In the course of trying to figure out how it did this, I stumbled on the fact that it could divide by fifths as well. None of my references mentioned this, which made me wonder if it was truly able to divide by five, or only approximated it to the untrained eye. In order to prove it to myself, I set about trying to figure out the mathematical theory behind the armature, which was challenging to me, because I'm not a math person by any stretch. I'm not a mathaphobe - more like an unrequited mathaphile. So I was relieved to discover that the answer to my question was not as complicated as I had feared, requiring "only" intro level algebra to solve. So, if you are a mathaphile (or can remember 7th grade), what follows will be trivial; and if you are a true mathaphobe, any math is probably too much; but if you just like to see how things work, stay with me.

armature-with-fractions-for-math-500.png
armature-with-fractions-for-math-500.png (20.84 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

The armature of the rectangle uses a network of intersecting diagonals to identify fractional divisions of the rectangle. The intersections corresponding to fractional divisions along the horizontal x-axis are labeled in the diagram above.

The 1/2 diagram is constructed simply of two diagonals from corner to corner; it's intuitively obvious that their intersection locates the center point, and therefore the halfway mark on each side. But what about the 1/3? Why should it be that the intersection of one of the main diagonals with a line drawn from the halfway point of the top side to the bottom corner magically locates a point one third of way along the x axis? The 1/4 is more familiar, as it bisects the segment already cut by the half, but the 1/5? Is that even for real?

Let's start with the simple 1/2 diagram. Even though it's obvious that it's dividing the x-axis by 2, solving it mathematically will lay the foundation for doing the more complicated ones.

armature-half.png
armature-half.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

It turns out that the easiest way to think about this is in terms graphing functions, where you have a square grid with a horizontal x-axis and a vertical y-axis. Points on the grid can be located with pairs of coordinates, similar to a map, and lines can be described by mathematical expressions in the form x=y or y=x, with some operation on either both of the terms. Typically a graph will be measured off in numbers, but because we are concerned with proportions, we'll use fractions of a variable maximum length for either axis: xmax and ymax. The 0 point for each axis is the lower left corner, with the maximum length for x at the lower right corner and for y at the top left corner.
The diagonal from the lower left to upper right is defined y=x. The line simply goes up the same distance for every step it goes horizontally. The line from top left to bottom right is defined y=-x + ymax. Here, the angle or slope of the line is the opposite, going down the same distance for every step it takes, so the x in the equation takes a minus sign. "+ ymax" means that it starts in the upper left corner; each value of x gets subtracted from that.

To find the location where they intersect, take the two expressions that appear after "y=" and set them to equal each other:
____________-x + ymax = x
Solving this equation will tell us the point where the function returns the same value for each line; that is, the intersection.

We wish to solve for x, the position along the horizontal side, so we do some algebra like this:

____________-x + ymax = x____________the combined function we just created

____________-2x + ymax = 0___________subtract x from both sides, so that x only appears on the left

____________x + -ymax = 0____________multiply both sides by -1 to make the x term positive

_______ _____2x = ymax________________add ymax to both sides to reduce the left side to x terms only

___________x = ymax/2________________divide both sides by 2 to isolate x completely

This tells us that the value along the x axis at the intersection equals half of the total length of the vertical side. This is true, as long we are dealing with a square, but we want this to apply to any rectangle. This can be done by multiplying by the aspect ratio:

_____________x = ymax/2 * (xmax/ymax)

We can go through this procedure, with appropriate tweaks, for the others:

armature-third.png
armature-third.png (9.71 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

For the 1/3 diagram, the initial slope equations are:

y=-x+ymax
y=2x
combined: -x+ymax=2x
As we did above:

____________-x+ymax=2x____________the combined function we just created

____________-3x+ymax = 0___________subtract 2x from both sides, so that x only appears on the left

____________3x+ -ymax = 0____________multiply both sides by -1 to make the x term positive _

_______ _____3x=ymax________________add ymax to both sides to reduce the left side to x terms only

___________x = ymax/3________________divide both sides by 3 to isolate x completely

and give it the ratio treament:
___________x = ymax/3 * (xmax/ymax)

armature-quarter.png
armature-quarter.png (8.54 KiB) Viewed 1528 times

For the 1/4 diagram, the initial slope equations are:

y=x+ymax/2
y=-x + ymax
combined: x+ymax/2=-x+ymax
As we did above:

____________x+ymax/2=-x+ymax____________the combined function we just created

____________2x+ymax/2=ymax_____________add x to both sides, so that x only appears on the left

_______ _____2x=ymax/2__________________subtract ymax/2 from both sides to reduce the left side to x terms only

___________x = ymax/4____________________divide both sides by 2 to isolate x completely

___________x = ymax/4 * (xmax/ymax)

armature-fifth.png
armature-fifth.png (9.47 KiB) Viewed 1549 times

For the 1/5 diagram, the initial slope equations are:

y=-x/2 + ymax/2
y=2x
combined: -x/2 + ymax/2=2x

Should be pretty much S.O.P. by now:

____________-x/2 + ymax/2=2x____________the combined function we just created

____________-5/2x+ymax/2 = 0___________subtract 2x from both sides, so that x only appears on the left

____________5/2x+ -ymax/2 = 0____________multiply both sides by -1 to make the x term positive _

_______ _____5/2x=ymax/2________________add ymax/2 to both sides to reduce the left side to x terms only

___________5x = ymax____________________multiply both sides by 2 to simplify the x term

___________x = ymax/5__________________divide both sides by 5 to isolate x completely

___________x = ymax/5 * (xmax/ymax)

So now I can be confident that the armature does indeed divide by five. It turns out it can be extended to divide by any number, and each instance can proven by the same math, but this is enough for now.
If anyone detects errors or has ideas for how to explain this stuff more clearly, please share them.

Matthew
Last edited by mdmattin on Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:10 am, edited 8 times in total.
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Re: The math behind Hor:ratio

Postby Alitogata » Tue Jun 16, 2015 2:06 pm

:shock: :shock:
Alitogata
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sat Jun 20, 2015 12:19 am

Heh - believe it or not, people sometimes look at me just that way in real life! I realized that it wasn't helping to have the diagrams so small, so I uploaded bigger ones.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby gpathy » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:41 pm

:shock: :? :shock: :? :x :shock: :shock: :?

asterix61.jpg
asterix61.jpg (77.81 KiB) Viewed 1535 times
gpathy
Custodian

Postby Andre Jute » Sun Jun 21, 2015 3:06 pm

Weren't there some geometric calculations like these in Leonardo's notebooks?
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Wed Jun 24, 2015 12:59 am

That is an interesting question, Andre, I'll have to go look that up when I get home. I've come across debates over the extent to which Leonardo made use of the Golden Section, which is a related but different concept, and of course his notebooks are filled with all sorts of arcane and fascinating stuff, but I don't know about the armature of the rectangle or related math in particular. I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have used the same mathematical approach that I did, because it's based on the Cartesian coordinate system, and René wouldn't come along to invent that until the 1600's.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Postby Andre Jute » Wed Jun 24, 2015 3:35 am

mdmattin wrote:That is an interesting question, Andre, I'll have to go look that up when I get home. I've come across debates over the extent to which Leonardo made use of the Golden Section, which is a related but different concept, and of course his notebooks are filled with all sorts of arcane and fascinating stuff, but I don't know about the armature of the rectangle or related math in particular. I'm pretty sure that he wouldn't have used the same mathematical approach that I did, because it's based on the Cartesian coordinate system, and René wouldn't come along to invent that until the 1600's.
Matthew

There are all kinds of geometrical figures in Leonardo's sketchbooks, and we don't necessarily know what he was referring to with them as he wrote in code; most of them, I suspect, were military, because that is what he was actually employed as most of the time, as a military engineer.

But that famous figure of the man in the circle is based on a geometric division system, too.

I like Phi, the Golden Ratio, for all kinds of things, including a quick check on internal combustion oversquare cylinder ratios that work or don't. It's a magic formula. Half plus half of the square root of 5 already sounds like a mystical chant. For the rest of you, this is just the mathematical development of Phi that, via its two equally correct answers (Phi x Phi = Phi +1) gives us the Golden ratio of 0.618::1::1.618.
Andre Jute
one of the regulars

Postby RajeshS » Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:57 pm

Thank you for posting these details Matthew.

It is funny how traditionally maths/science and arts are kind of considered "opposites": Opposite sides of brains, "contrasting" streams in education etc. .. yet there appears to be a link between art and these subjects.

Maybe in the end - nature actually unifies them!

Will surely take some time to go through it and see what I can understand - if anything.

Andre - thanks for listing that interesting feature about the Golden Ratio - need to try it out and look it up.

rajesh
RajeshS
one of the regulars

Postby mdmattin » Sat Aug 01, 2015 4:10 am

Rajesh, thanks for taking the time to look. I think that art, math, science etc all come together in that part of nature we call our brain. It certainly seems that we are experiencing a change in attitude from the compartmentalized view you describe to one that celebrates technologically minded artists, creative mathematicians etc. The connection between these proportional systems and art is something I'm interested in but agnostic about. I don't think they should be applied dogmatically, but I do think they point to ideas that could be adapted to modern sensibilities.
Matthew
mdmattin
one of the regulars

Return to Non-sketch Talk